Balancing boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartouche

Vessel Name
On The EdJ
Vessel Make
Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
We have a Mainship 390 that has a list, (Not uncommon for a 390) and I have been having fuel Balancing issues, at my last fill up I put 3 times the diesel into the Starboard tank than the Port tank and a fellow TF member suggested that after use when the boat is at rest the list is allowing the starboard tank to move to the port tank (as the fuel level goes down) and as the fuel went down, the list got worse (Which it did) My thought is to shut off the tank equalization valves, am I missing something, or will I be fine, do not want to solve one issue to create another many thanks

Is your boat single or twin engine? If it's twins, definitely keep the tank equalizer valve closed. If it's a single, you may need to close it and just periodically switch tanks.

I used my dive tanks and weights to get the boat level. Once level, we started shifting other items until it stayed level with tanks and weights removed. With boat level, tanks stayed level.

Is your boat single or twin engine? If it's twins, definitely keep the tank equalizer valve closed. If it's a single, you may need to close it and just periodically switch tanks.
Its a single, I am going to close it and I am pretty sure it will fix the issue, I know the Generator draws only from the starboard tank but we only run it about 4 hours a year

I used my dive tanks and weights to get the boat level. Once level, we started shifting other items until it stayed level with tanks and weights removed. With boat level, tanks stayed level.
Makes total sense thanks a lot at 63 forgot my High school Math re fluid levels cheers

Have you checked the vent line to the tank that is staying full?

I checked the fuel level in our tanks on a holiday, and found one tank wasn't emptying. Turns out the vent line was plugged, probably from some insect building a nest.

Had to contort my body upside-down in the lazarette to undo the line and blow it out. Got stuck, had to wait for my wife and daughter to stop laughing so hard, then they helped me out.

+1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom