What autopilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
I have 44 ft twin inboard sundeck cruiser with high nautic hydraulic steering.. I always run this boat at trawler speed she weighs 44000 lb. I have a Garmin plotter. What autopilot would be appropriate for my boat

I have 44 ft twin inboard sundeck cruiser with high nautic hydraulic steering.. I always run this boat at trawler speed she weighs 44000 lb. I have a Garmin plotter. What autopilot would be appropriate for my boat

Maybe ask Garmin???

I would try to use one from the mfg of my plotters. But then my boat is completely NMEA2K so I want to take the most possible advantage of cross functionality. If you don’t have and or don’t plan to network your devices, then there may be lots of reasons to go with another brand.

Ken

I have Hynautic steering and Garmin MFDs on my boat. My autopilot is a Simrad AP20. It's 18 years old now and am considering replacing it or adding a second unit to be able to switch simply by turning one off and the other on. I'm considering another Simrad or a Comnav. Both will work seamlessly with the Hynautic steering and Garmin plotters.

Ted

Before the boat was lost to Hurricane Michael in Oct 2018, the owner and I were busy collecting the parts to install a Garmin AP in a boat of similar size and weight to yours. So they do have something which will work. Call them.

Hey ken
How are you doing brother? I hope retirement is still going well for you. Have you made any Trip South recently?

I've personally been looking at the Furuno 711C setup for my own boat. It's slightly cheaper than the comparable Simrad setup and seems to be just as well liked. As long as you can confirm it talks nicely with the Garmin stuff over NMEA 2000, it would be a viable option.

Keep it in the family. Get a Garmin. Easier to integrate into your existing MFD system.

because I don't want to limit my options to just Garman

I find that when I have all one manufacturer of the equipment when I have a problem it is much easier to get good support. If you have multiple manufacturers involved they will usually point fingers at each other as to whose problem it is.

I find that when I have all one manufacturer of the equipment when I have a problem it is much easier to get good support. If you have multiple manufacturers involved they will usually point fingers at each other as to whose problem it is.
:iagree::thumb:

I was in the same situation a year ago.
Have Raymarine E120 (MFD).

Installed Raymarine EV400. Pump size was selected by Ram size.
My ram size allowed me to use a smaller pump or the larger one I installed.
I picked larger pump to allow better response in following sea.

On trials, powered up to 22 knots, on autopilot, perfect straight line.

Well designed system, Ray's forum is a nice resource:
https://forum.raymarine.com/
(sounds like RayMarine is shutting the forum down)

Attachments

• Networking E120 to EV-400.pdf
    311.2 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom