Mounting a wind sensor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danderer

Guru
Vessel Name
Infinity
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48
I want add a Garmin GNX wind sensor. The plan is to mount it off the existing 1.25" pole hosting the steaming and anchor lights.

My thought was to simply find a clamp that would support a small platform (mimicking the horizontal space at the top of a mast) and mount the sensor to that. The existing steaming light platform is welded on - I'm looking for a solution that might be quicker/easier.

I'm hoping there is a vendor that might have such a thing.

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 42
Sorry, can't help. Used yarn telltales on sailboats and bow-mounted burgee on the motorboat.

Attachments

• Petaluma entrance.jpg
    Petaluma entrance.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 43
If the pole is 1.25”, they sell jaw slides that will clamp on to it. Amazon has them. Then you could figure out some kind of a platform that would screw onto the jaw slide, maybe?

Never heard the term "jaw slide" before. Using that in searches is looking promising. Thanks.

Never heard the term "jaw slide" before. Using that in searches is looking promising. Thanks.

They may give you a starting point to get something attached to the pole. You could maybe get a welder to weld on a mounting plate to the jaw slide???

Sorry, can't help. Used yarn telltales on sailboats and bow-mounted burgee on the motorboat.

Nothing beats a windsock. And it's almost as quiet as a weather station. :dance:

Attachments

• RV Windsock.jpg
    RV Windsock.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Windsock.jpg
    Windsock.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 34
I want add a Garmin GNX wind sensor. The plan is to mount it off the existing 1.25" pole hosting the steaming and anchor lights.

My thought was to simply find a clamp that would support a small platform (mimicking the horizontal space at the top of a mast) and mount the sensor to that. The existing steaming light platform is welded on - I'm looking for a solution that might be quicker/easier.

If you're installing the wireless version connect the receiver and experiment with location of the wind sensor. I had horrible problems with mine having and losing connectivity. Also had issues with the solar panel that recharges the wind sensor battery. Mine has a plastic lens that you can't use any chemicals on to clean. Whole thing was a nightmare. Round and round with customer service. I eventually gave up. Haven't replaced it yet, but the next one won't be wireless!

Ted

They may give you a starting point to get something attached to the pole. You could maybe get a welder to weld on a mounting plate to the jaw slide???

That is what I'm thinking - having someone fab a simple plate I can mount with a hinged jaw slide.

If you're installing the wireless version...

I'm thinking of trying the wireless version. Distance from the sensor to the MFD it'll pair with is less than 10' with no intervening structure.

I previously took a chance on a wireless radar (Raymarine) and that worked out well.

The recharging might be an issue though - thanks for mentioning that.

I'll do some more research on the pros and cons.

On a previous boat we had a huge bimini, about 14’ x16’, that would rack side to side. I had a welder put a tab on the jaw slide and then screwed it to the side of the bridge and it took all of the racking out. That is what made me think of using a jaw slide in your application.

In looking at your pic it seems you have a couple of GPS mushrooms on long stainless sticks? I don't believe the GPS sensors need to be way up there. I would move at least one of them down to the cross rail area, and use the SS stalk to mount the wind sensor. For best performance it should not have any horizontal surfaces or vertical obstructions anywhere near it. For that reason I dont favour the jaw slide ideas.

I'm thinking of trying the wireless version. Distance from the sensor to the MFD it'll pair with is less than 10' with no intervening structure.

I previously took a chance on a wireless radar (Raymarine) and that worked out well.

The recharging might be an issue though - thanks for mentioning that.

I'll do some more research on the pros and cons.

My sensor was about 6' from the receiver through the roof of my pilothouse.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom