Time for new batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailormike

Vessel Name
Miss Dot Dee
Vessel Make
1980 29' Prairie Trawler
I know i'm about to open a can of worms but i will go ahead and do it. Our group 31 blue top opitma's are finally going south after 12 years of use. I would like to go back agm we have 2 banks of 3 batteries in parallel. Please let me know should i go back with optima or is there better.

I know i'm about to open a can of worms but i will go ahead and do it. Our group 31 blue top opitma's are finally going south after 12 years of use. I would like to go back agm we have 2 banks of 3 batteries in parallel. Please let me know should i go back with optima or is there better.

If you got 12 years out of them, why would you try something else. Stick with them.

I have no experience with the blue top batteries for a house bank, but am a big fan of the red top Optimas for engine batteries and my bow thruster. As others have said, your not likely to improve on that longevity, so why would you try something else.

Ted

I have no experience with the blue top batteries for a house bank, but am a big fan of the red top Optimas for engine batteries and my bow thruster. As others have said, your not likely to improve on that longevity, so why would you try something else.

Ted

A lot could have changed in 12 years in regards to technology ect. an i figured there are people on here changing batteries every day. But i was leaning to go back with optima but before i did I figured I would as the question

A lot could have changed in 12 years in regards to technology ect. an i figured there are people on here changing batteries every day. But i was leaning to go back with optima but before i did I figured I would as the question

I think you're wise to look at your options.

What is often missed in house battery discussions deals with depth of discharge, amperage draw rates, how many days between complete recharges, and number of cycles. In my situation, the draw rate seldom exceeds 25 amps per battery. The depth of discharge rarely reaches 80% remaining. Complete recharge is usually every day, occasionally every other, almost never every third or greater. My cycles per year is usually between 50 and 100, with only one year approaching 200. With this kind of profile, likely any deep cycle battery would work. Now if my use parameters were quite different, my current choice might not work so well and necessitate a change.

IMO, if you have something that's proven to satisfactorily work in your application, there needs to be a strong motivation to change. Price or availability could be that motivator, but probably not longevity.

Ted

I agree with what the others are saying. However, if you want to look at a different battery technology, check out the Firefly Carbon Foam batteries.

If being able to deeply discharge, not have to worry about having to regularly fully recharge (to a full 100%), and bulk charge faster (than most), then they might meet your needs. It is also suggested that they will last a long time, but I am not sure they have been around long enough to fully prove that claim.
I still agree that your present experience has been very good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom