Here is my new Tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32

Attachments

• Tug.jpg
    Tug.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 637
Hey, NICE! What are your immediate underway plans? Electronics OK, or is that part of the upgrade plan?

Wow! She's a looker! Congrats.

I've always thought Mr. Sarin nailed the deck- and pilothouse proportions perfectly for that 32ft hull.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new boat. Have lots of run with it.

You need some solar panels up top your saloon. Looks like a boat that give you a lot of good times.

Congratulations, VERY handsome boat. Enjoy!

:thumb:

Nice looking boat except for the wood frames around the windows. The wood pilot house doors add a certain class to the boat.
Depending on the interior lay out of the boat, you are proving you don’t need a big boat to enjoy life. SMILE

Replacing the electronics, salon windows with sliders and new genset are part of the this year upgrade plan. Solar is also in the plans but that is two years away. This morning I have a marine electrician coming to sort some electrical issues and teach me a lesson or two about the systems. Thanks everyone.

I am strongly considering painting the wood window frames on my Albin. It would look pretty plain but I was thinking of adding some painted or decal scrollwork to the frames to set them off. Maybe an accent line ending in a Fleur de Lis or some "artsy" design.

Any ideas?

pete

That's a great-looking boat! Congrats. Keep us posted.

Congratulations, that is a good looking rig.

Congrats, UncleMatt! Sundowners are such handsome boats. They look just right. Enjoy!

Matt, very nice looking boat. I really like the iines and the overall proportions. Congratulations.

Matt,
Congrats on the new Tug!!
All Tugs are great, and I am not the least bit prejudiced :)
Enjoy your time with her.

Compared to our 30 footer, it looks like they added a foot of length to the pilothouse (doors wider, aft side window bigger) and a foot to the saloon.

Hope yours builds a huge bank of memories like ours has :thumb:

Last edited:
Congrats! what a nice looking tug. Enjoy.

Very nice looking Tug - :thumb::thumb:

Congrats on the buy but I'll ask.........why is it called a tug?

LOL, that’s the question when it comes to, “What makes it a trawler.” Then you ask, “What makes it a tug.” Read the link in message 23. That will get you started.
Basically, there is no simple answer for either question.
That discussion can take more than a week..... We have tried to define “What’s a trawler??” As I recall, we never arrived at a complete list of parameters defining a trawler.

Last edited:
..why is it called a tug?

Marketing.

They hit the sweet spot where my wife thinks it's cute, but I like the hairy chested workboat lines with no over the top ostentatiousness.

Last edited:
Marketing.

They hit the sweet spot where my wife thinks it's cute, but I like the hairy chested workboat lines with no over the top ostentatiousness.

Then don’t get one with a bathtub. :D

Having the general appearance of a tugboat but with additional living space behind the pilothouse.

Attachments

• IMG_3985.jpg
    IMG_3985.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 45
Most Rec Tugboats are descendants of Rec Tugboats. Like the original 26’ NT w it’s stupid look’in or cute little smokestack. The 32 had foredeck lines remotely like a commercial boat and they retained the smokestack. They retained the stack and kept calling it a Tug. The low freeboard aft was probably a significant part of it. It was then marketing and they knew it and stuck to it.

So all the boats that descended from the toot toot 26 became Tugs for marketing reasons. The early GB’s and IG’s could just as easily be Tugs but those builders chose to be Trawlers. They had FB’s and normal freeboard aft. There are Tugs that are so purely a Tug one couldn’t call them anything esle .. like the Lord Nelson. But it dosn’t take much to declare a Trawler a Tug.

Last edited:
I looked at a couple of the Sundowners before I bought my CHB. I really like them. The big selling point for the CHB though was the aft cabin as I am not that fond of a V berth foc'sle.

Called a tug because of the vague resemblance, no other reason. I think the Sundowner is better looking than an NT though. Congrats to the new happy owner!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom