Your insurance coverage versus boat's range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My insurance coverage covers the San Francisco estuary (bays, rivers) but only to Half Moon Bay south of the Golden Gate and Drake's By to the north along the Pacific coast, perhaps 30-so more miles outside. Yet my four fuel tanks holding nearly 300 gallons total giving a range out to Victoria BC Nice to have the range, but wasn't needed, but still a desirable trait.

Last edited:
If I headed straight offshore I'd have the range to exceed my insurance cruising limits. In any other direction, I'd need fuel first. But considering the availability of fuel in most coastal locations, I can't see how the 2 things are really all that related.

Forgive the slow person on the forum, but are you comparing insurance cruising limits to the vessel's possible range and/or wondering if there's a relationship?

Greg.

Half Moon Bay, hmmmm. Isn't that where Grey Whale Cove State Beach is? :D

My insurance coverage covers the San Francisco estuary (bays, rivers) but only to Half Moon Bay south of the Golden Gate and Drake's By to the north along the Pacific coast, perhaps 30-so more miles outside. Yet my four fuel tanks holding nearly 300 gallons total giving a range out to Victoria BC Nice to have the range, but wasn't needed, but still a desirable trait.

Most boat insurances have coverage limits, few are "worldwide".
I doubt additional limits would change the premiums much as long as it's still in the states. It has absolutely nothing to do with boat range.. any more than your car insurance and the size of it's fuel tank.

Must be a slow day on TF

HOLLYWOOD

My insurance is US and Canadian waters to 25 miles out. I go further than 25, but that's my risk. Tuna fishing or crossing the Gulf of Alaska.

Well, what factor of a boat's range was part of the decision in boat selection? It was largely incidental for me, but wasn't surprised that selecting a "true" trawler had lots.

I was told cruising/navigational limits on insurance are based on both the underwriters perception of risk AND owner/operators experience in different areas.

Nothing to do with fuel range.

Pay for the ‘usual’ and request a rider to extend your cruise area only when necessary.
Based on a sad experience, before going to a yard, interrogate your insurance agent to make sure you are cover during the haul out and on jack stands. If not, get a rider.

I just double checked the cruising area on my policy. I'm covered anywhere within the US and Canada out to 75 nautical miles from the coast. Partial coverage applies in Mexico with a 30 day limit, but not enough to be covered in Mexico without additional coverage.

Realistically, that's a far bigger area than I need, so if I end up changing to an insurer with more flexible cruising areas at some point, I'll likely go with something smaller.

The 2 summers that we cruised up the Hudson and into Canada our insurance was much less. Almost $500 less.
Then went back up when we went back to CT as our home port.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom