Starter Wiring for FL SP225

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartWarrior

Vessel Name
Heart Warrior
Vessel Make
1988 Island Gypsy 40
I have been undertaking some major overhaul on my new to me last fall, 1988 Island Gypsy 40. She is equipped with deal FL SP225. I am in the process of install new circuit breaker panels and verifying all the ships wiring. I disconnected the start and stop buttons at the lower and upper helms, and now for the life of me cant get them to work correctly. I have eliminated the upper helm for now and I for the control wires for the starboard engine. Hooked those up and it starts and stops now problem. I found what I thought is 2 control wires for the port engine. I hooked up the stop button and it works fine. Here is my problem, when I hook up the start button for the port engine and hit the button, both engines turn over.

Can anyone think of what may be missing that is causing both engines to turn over at the same time?

Thanks,

No one yet???
I don't know your engines or your boats wiring setup.
I will guess that you have mixed up two wires. Unfortunately I can't help you sort it out at this point except to say you likely will have to wire one engine so it works fully and then do the other keeping CAREFULL control of the wires.

Use some tape as you go to mark what you think is correct.
You might also do as much tracing/chasing as possible to verify each wire goes where you think it does.

Have you asked Brian at American Diesel? He may have wiring diagrams. 804-435-3107. He is really good.

Ditto on Brian!

He had been a major major major help in my starboard SP275 overhaul.

Found it

Well that was a fun Easter Egg hunt. Turned out the starter wire from the lower helm switch was bad. Ran a new wire from the switch to the beginning of the wire loom that entered the engine and everything is now fine. Thanks for you responses.

Curious as to why wire failed. Bad ends, non tinned wire, chafing :confused::confused: Thanks and glad you found problem.

Back
Top Bottom