34 vs 42 swift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Windward34

Morning all Happy Memorial Day Weekend. Looking for opinions on a 34 vs 42 swift. Looking at the used market 42 have a lower price point understanding they are approx 8 to 10 years older then say a 2012 34. We currently have a 343 Beneteau and will be moving to power for just about ever reason others have done the same. Right now we are coastal cruisers in the north east, hoping to expand maybe the loop someday.

We are a couple I’m in my early 50’s she is mid 40’s, with no children and will never have overnight guests.

I have been on both boats over the years and I see plus’s and minus on either option. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Windward34,
I have no direct experience with Swift trawlers, but there are two 34's in my marina. I have two observations about them:

1) To me, the proportions look a bit odd. It has the appearance of being awfully high for the length.
2) If I had to make your decision. one thing I would want to take a close look at and experiment with is the stability. One of the 34's in my marina is loaded in some way that makes it list a very noticeable 5+(?) degrees all the time. Don't know if it's how fuel or water is loaded or if it's some piece of equipment stored "off center". Anyway, it's always this way, year in and year out. When you're on board a demo 34, I would suggest bringing a few extra people along and have them move about the boat to simulate load (either equipment or passengers) just to see what happens.

Hi Scottc good observation have not noticed that but I have not been around one long enough there are none in my marina. I will look for that during my search. How do you like your Greenline been on them at boat shows good looking boat.

I have had it 10 years and love it. Just right for two people...and we've taken trips as long as six months on it. It has a LOT of storage space for the size. A third visitor, for a week here and there works ok (has to use sofa in the main cabin), but the "logistics" are tolerable without any problem for a week. We find two visitors tolerable only for a weekend. Just barely. I like hybrid cruising because of the silence of running on electric. You just have to be aware that electric only makes sense on canals, rivers and protected waters. It's not too practical at sea, unless it's one of those rare, perfectly calm days. Also, you will have to be prepared to do a lot of learning, because the technology is fairly complicated, despite what the marketing literature says. Don't buy a Greenline to save on fuel costs (unless you do only 10-15 nm runs in protected waters each day). If I had to do it all over again, would I buy the boat I have now? The answer is yes. If money were no object, however, I would look at a Fleming ;-)

And yes, I miss not having a fly-bridge.

Always go larger if you can. Make it your forever boat. You don't want to get on a 42 in the future and wish you had bought that instead. Most power boats will have more interior space than your sail boat but 40' or more is my minimum for extended living/ cruising.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom