Fruit flies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LUVYAPOP

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
LUVYAPOP
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa Stinger custom
Aloha from paradise. My problem is fruit flies. Here WE, my neighbors and I, constantly talk/complain about them. Trash IS outside, but these little buggas are everywhere. My main complaint is my compost head. I use the two chemicals, photos attached, but they seem to NOT be working good enough for my liking. As soon as I open the poop door flies come out. Any boaters ever have, or currently have the same problem? And if so, any other recommendations on what to use instead? Any help is much appreciated. Mahalo nui loa, Hector

Attachments

• Fruitfly 1.jpg
    Fruitfly 1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Fruitfly 2.jpg
    Fruitfly 2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 57
There are two pretty simple solutions. One is simple flypaper hanging near you toilet or compost can. The other is a small container, like a cottage cheese container with about an inch of sweet liquor in the bottom (Sherry, sweet vermouth) Poke a small hole in the top and force the narrow end of a funnel into the hole. The flys go in and can't find their way out.

They are a pain at certain times of the year here to.

pete

We have an Airhead. It has a fan running constantly and both the intake and exhaust hoses have screens. Bugs can't enter around the toilet seat because of a foam gasket. No bugs.

Have you tried coconut coir from a desiccating toilet head manufacturer, that doesn't come with eggs? Maybe what you are using as the "drop zone" media has eggs in it.

Last edited:
I can't give you any advice about the head, but I have a similar solution to what Pete said above. Mix a 50/50 solution of cider vinegar and water with a few drops of dish soap. Put in a few saucers or jar lids. Flies are attracted to the vinegar as a smell of fruit but once their wings get soaped, they can no longer fly. They will be as grounded as a 737 Max.

Firstly, I would make sure that they are fruit flies. They could be something like a fungus gnat or shore fly.
Secondly, the two products you show work on the larvae only. One physically, and one biologically. Are you applying the products correctly.
My guess is likely they are something like a shore fly that likes a wet, organic medium.
Good luck!

Thanks Pete, but those measures are already in place. I bought these red apple containers. They come with this sweet solution. Like you said, they go in, can't get out. Also two fly strips in bathroom. Seems as though when I turn the mix handle, these buggas are sleeping in the peet moss that's topped with the chemical that's supposed to control them.

Aloha MurrayM, I'll have to look up Airhead. Mine has a hose as well, but come to think about it, I don't think it has a screen. Since the fan is always running you would think they can't get in, but they do. I'll have to insert screens. Thanks.

Aloha Waterford, already have those apples you put that mix in. Package came with a small bottle of solution. Works great, but dries out after about a week. Bought some solution in a larger bottle on Amazon. I guess it's one of those things a person just has to live with. Thanks

Aloha Leeman, yes, fruitflys. Right after I do my business and turn the mix handle, I then add one of the products to the top of the peet moss. I change what I use after every poop to see which one works best. neither it seems. Thanks though.

Back
Top Bottom