A/C Compressor Drip Tray Grounding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Catalina Jack
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I am re-wiring much of my bonding system. Today, I found a wire running from the drip tray of one of my three A/C compressors to a ground source. Is it this necessary?

I am re-wiring much of my bonding system. Today, I found a wire running from the drip tray of one of my three A/C compressors to a ground source. Is it this necessary?

I would be careful on this. Your system is likely grounded through the power feed ground. If grounding the pan accidentally grounds your shore power ground to the water around the boat, this could be an issue in fresh water. Theoretically, if you were going to ground or bond to an anode, it would be the heat exchanger. I wouldn't ground or bond any part of the AC unit further than it's 120 VAC supply.

Ted

Ted. Thank you, again. I have been tracing all of my bonds. This one struck me as very odd. Conceptually, I could not understand why it was there. I do understand how grounding that case could provide an alternate path to the water thus endangering swimmers/divers. I will be removing it tomorrow. The other two A/C units are not grounded. As for the heat exchangers, I recently replaced them on both Lehman 120s. The new exchangers have dedicated grounding terminals built into the case.
I would be careful on this. Your system is likely grounded through the power feed ground. If grounding the pan accidentally grounds your shore power ground to the water around the boat, this could be an issue in fresh water. Theoretically, if you were going to ground or bond to an anode, it would be the heat exchanger. I wouldn't ground or bond any part of the AC unit further than it's 120 VAC supply.

Ted

The A/C drip tray does not need to be in the bonding system or a separate ground. It will be grounded through the power wiring.

Ted. Thank you, again. I have been tracing all of my bonds. This one struck me as very odd. Conceptually, I could not understand why it was there. I do understand how grounding that case could provide an alternate path to the water thus endangering swimmers/divers. I will be removing it tomorrow. The other two A/C units are not grounded. As for the heat exchangers, I recently replaced them on both Lehman 120s. The new exchangers have dedicated grounding terminals built into the case.

I was unclear when referring to the heat exchangers. I was referring to the water cooled condensers on the air conditioners. Still wouldn't bond them.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom