Davit standpipe extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petdoc4u

Vessel Name
EXILE
Vessel Make
HANS CHRISTIAN TRAWLER
I have a Nautical Structures 600# capacity davit standpipe mounted on the boat deck. The davit is low profile which poses problems when lifting our RIB (10' Caribe with 20HP Honda) over the side rails; we have to push down on the bow of the RIB to enable the motor to clear the rail. I would like to raise the davit, perhaps 6-12 inches in order to eliminate this problem. One option would be to replace the standpipe with a longer (and possibly thicker sidewall) standpipe. I would prefer to "sleeve" the standpipe at the level of the boat deck by sliding an appropriate sized length of pipe over the standpipe followed by inserting a length of original size standpipe into the sleeve, then remounting the davit. I've spoken with Nautical Structures however due to liability issues they preferred not to comment. Has anyone done anything like this or have any advice? all suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.
-David

Try Nick Jackson in the Seattle area. Just tell them the dimensions you want and it's on you whether it works or not. They do a nice powder coat and their charges are reasonable (not dirt cheap, but reasonable). Nice guy. He seems to like what he does.

Look at the pipe davit line on the attached url.

http://www.nickjacksonco.com/

Good luck! Tell him Peter on Weebles, Willard 36 sent you

I also had a similar problem with height.
The last thing I would have done is raise the arm above the deck with a longer pole. I am not sure of the design limits on the structure and the lever arm action is too much to risk in my opinion.

I ended up shortening everything I could from the upper pulley at the end of the arm to the dinghy floor. I shortened the block and tackle, the strong back or spreader bar and the chains going from the spreader bar to the floor of the dinghy.
We also have an 11' Aluminum Hull AB RIB with a 20HP 4 stroke outboard.
Now the dinghy comes all the way up to the angle arm and clears the lifelines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom