Paint thinner for bottom painting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
I am in the process of prepping my boat bottom for painting. I need to wipe the entire surface with a paint thinner, can any thinner be used? The manufacturer recommends Petitt 120 thinner but its expensive. Also any idea how much I would need to wipe a 41' down?

I have used mineral spirits with acceptable results but someone once told me that mineral spirits leave some type of oil residue. I guess this makes sense but my thinking was that if I am using oil based paint why would this be a bad thing (if it is true).

Can't you read the label of the Petitt and try to duplicate that. It may be closer to acetone than mineral spirits.

pete

If it's just to wipe down for cleaning, I'd expect any thinner that dries without residue should do the job.

I am in the process of prepping my boat bottom for painting. I need to wipe the entire surface with a paint thinner, can any thinner be used? The manufacturer recommends Petitt 120 thinner but its expensive. Also any idea how much I would need to wipe a 41' down?

After all the work and expense to get the bottom painted, I wouldn't mess around. I would use exactly what the manufacturer recommends. A quart of thinner should do it.

One possibility to save money, see if you can get a copy of the MSDS and find out the main ingredient then see if you can buy that in a paint store.

Ken

What was on there before?

After sanding or pressure washing an ablative..and no cotamination.....

I have never.wiped a bottom down except with a dry cloth after heavy sanding .

Ablative paint as per previous owner. It looks like it has not been painted in a while.

Wiping with proper thinner can't hurt I would guess....just in the future ....depending on your choices and system it may be overkill.

I have removed all the barnacle remains from the bottom of the boat and roughed up the bottom with a 3m scotch-brite pad. I then washed the bottom. When it dried I ran my hands along it and I am still get powdered ablative paint to come off. Should I pressure was the bottom to remove the remaining powder? I'm thinking that it is an ablative paint and it should be coming off when I rub it?

Yes. Ablative paint should always come off when you rub it.

If you are going back with an ablative paint, just power washing is all that is usually required.

I have removed all the barnacle remains from the bottom of the boat and roughed up the bottom with a 3m scotch-brite pad. I then washed the bottom. When it dried I ran my hands along it and I am still get powdered ablative paint to come off. Should I pressure was the bottom to remove the remaining powder? I'm thinking that it is an ablative paint and it should be coming off when I rub it?

You just need a clean surface. If you are working on bare fiberglass, then a toluene wipe is necessary. If covering a previous layer, then pressure wash after roughing should be good enough.

Mfg thinners are very costly and I use them strictly for thinning.

Last edited:
I have always done a "quick" wiping off with acetone on a damp rag to remove dust.
I emphasize "damp" meaning just enough acetone to collect the dust.

No dont use any oil (mineral spirits) or turpentine type based thinner. Always use proper thinner or you may create serious adhesion problems

"After sanding or pressure washing an ablative..and no contamination.....

I have never.wiped a bottom down except with a dry cloth after heavy sanding ."

Makes sense the paint you are washing off is still good , many layers protect better than a thin coat.

I use ablative and even after a wipe down, once old paint truly dries, if you wipe with a hand or cloth, you will get residue. That's just the paint doing its thing. I don't worry about it, I don't try to get it off.

I tend to thin the paint and go on with multiple thin coats with a brush. This tends to get a much slicker surface than going on thick with a roller. Takes a lot more time though. I do use the recommended thinner, it is printed on the paint can. Since my boat cruises at planing speed, I think the smooth bottom helps more than it would if all I ran was hull speed.

This is Micron CSC, used since I built the boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom