120 Ford Lehman oil and tranny cooler install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wallabyshane

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gypsy Lee
Vessel Make
43 Cheoy Lee Motorsailer
Hey all,

Need advice please.

I have just bought both new oil and transmission cooler. Is there a certain way around they should go? They DO NOT have zincs but they do have a small bolt on one end. Photos posted. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• WIN_20200304_11_43_24_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200304_11_43_24_Pro.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 49
  • WIN_20200304_11_43_03_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200304_11_43_03_Pro.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 55
I don’t know if it makes a difference or not but on mine the drain hole is on the port side.

Thanks. Do I need to "bleed" either or are they just plug and play and will sort themselves out?

Plug and play. Its nice if you can arrange to have the drain hole at the lowest point. Mount at a slight angle.

Of course, depending on your boat these things are often antifreeze coolant cooled, you may not need zincs.

pete

I just changed the transmission cooler on the engine I have pulled out. There was very little oil left in the cooler when I pulled it off, so I am assuming that the oil drains down when the engine is shut down. The water side will fill itself.

I never pull the drain plug since I pump antifreeze through the engine for winterization. I test the outflow from the exhaust until it tests -20 at least.

I just changed the transmission cooler on the engine I have pulled out. There was very little oil left in the cooler when I pulled it off, so I am assuming that the oil drains down when the engine is shut down. The water side will fill itself.

Yup, the oil tends to drain into the transmission.

Greetings,
Mr. w. Just to clarify, that "small bolt" (between your thumb and forefinger in the first picture) is a coolant drain. As noted, best to be mounted on the bottom of the cooler. No bleeding required unless the screwdriver slips...

200.webp

Hey all,

Need advice please.

I have just bought both new oil and transmission cooler. Is there a certain way around they should go? They DO NOT have zincs but they do have a small bolt on one end. Photos posted. Thank you in advance.

Some generic cooler basics:
1- The "small bolt" is a drain plug for the seawater side. It should be oriented downward to allow complete drainage.
2- Seawater or cooling water enters the large diameter hose connections on the ends. This is the "tube side" meaning the cooling water/fluid flows though the tubes. Large debris like impeller vanes can get stuck on the tubesheet which holds the tubes together and separates the two fluids.

3- The smaller threaded fittings are for the oil to be cooled. Trans fluid, engine oil, etc. The hot oil should enter the fitting furthest away from the cooling water inlet end of this particular cooler. This is the "shell side" This is a "counter-flow" arrangement which is most efficient for oil coolers. The oil to be cooled surrounds the outside of the tubes. The heat of the oil is conducted through the metal tube to the cooling water and is carried away overboard.

4- There are all kinds of coolers used on boat engines. Single pass, two pass, u-tube, air to water aftercoolers and intercoolers. But what they have in common is the two fluids are kept separated and sealed, and the heat of one flowing fluid is transfered to the other flowing fluid. Stop the flow of either fluid and the transfer of heat stops. Almost always bad things happen next!

Last edited:
The oil inlet and outlet on the transmission cooler should, ideally point up; so that the contents of the cooler will not run back into the transmission giving a false high reading when checking and be low when running.
The same can sometimes be said of the engine oil cooler depending on where it is located.

Because they can become electrically isolated, as they were with rubber-like bushing material wrapped around them where the hoops held them in place on my boat, I ensured there was a good connection to the bonding system using 10 AWG wire pressed against a section of the cylinder bared of paint.

Because they can become electrically isolated, as they were with rubber-like bushing material wrapped around them where the hoops held them in place on my boat, I ensured there was a good connection to the bonding system using 10 AWG wire pressed against a section of the cylinder bared of paint.

I just replaced one of mine and have not done anything about bonding it yet. I wonder if I could put a large ring connector on the drain screw. Has anyone tried this?

I just replaced one of mine and have not done anything about bonding it yet. I wonder if I could put a large ring connector on the drain screw. Has anyone tried this?

Dunno why not using some form of lbe to prevent corrosion tween the connector and the hole and plug.

Hey all,

Need advice please.

Hi, WallabyShane, and welcome as another Queenslander to TF.

However, so it enjoys greater viewing potential, I've taken the liberty of moving the thread to the section entitled 'Power Systems', from the general housekeeping section where it appeared originally.
Cheers,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom