Next Step Regulator and battery type change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhance

Vessel Name
Audrey Grace
Vessel Make
2003 Camano 31
Changed battery type from lead acid to AGM. I believe I need to make a charge profile change to my Ample Power next step regulator. Can't find info anywhere. Can anyone help, or are charge profiles not different enough to worry about messing with it?

Jamey

CMS (Marine How To) recommends finding out the voltage recommendations of your particular battery manufacturer. May be unnecessary for start batts (been running them in truck and cars for many years), but worth the trouble for a house bank.

Here's part of his writeup on choosing voltages for AGM's:

Maine Sail – 9/20/16 post #14 in DHays thread “Batteries and Charging”

Manufacturer suggested charging and float voltages for AGM Batteries

Which “AGM” Preset works?

Lifeline AGM’s = 14.4V & 13.4V = AGM Preset #1
Odyssey TPPL AGM’s = 14.7V & 13.6V = Neither AGM Preset
Firefly AGM =14.4V & 13.2V = Neither AGM Preset
Mastervolt AGM = 14.4V & 13.2V = Neither AGM Preset
Full River AGM = 14.7V & 13.7V = Neither AGM Preset
Rolls AGM = 14.7V & 13.7V = Neither AGM Preset
East Penn/Deka = 14.6V & 13.6V = Neither AGM Preset
US Battery AGM = 14.4V & 13.4V = AGM Preset #1
Trojan AGM = 14.4V & 13.5V = Neither AGM Preset

Thanks but URLs have no link.

Are you looking for battery specs or info on setting the regulator?

Looking for procedure on how to change the voltages/timing on the Next Step Regulator.

Attachments

• voltage regulator manual.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Thanks. Where do you measure the voltages on the regulator for adjustment measuring? On the Field terminal once you disconnect it? And I need to do this with the engine running?

Last edited:
You need to determine what voltage you want for absorption and how long the regulator stays in the absorption stage to fully charge your bank. The battery types above show recommended absorption voltages, but the time depends on your bank size, depth of discharge, and alternator output.
It is not really a smart regulator, just a multi-stage regulator. It charges in bulk mode until the battery voltage rises to the absorption voltage. It stays at the absorption voltage for a preset time which you set by reading the voltage at the time test-point. Regardless of the state of charge, the regulator will drop to float voltage at the end of that time period, but the bank may not be fully charged.
For example: I have a 700 amp-hour bank with a 105 amp alternator and I routinely draw about 125 ah overnight. The system bulk-charges at 70A for around an hour then enters the absorption stage. At the factory setting of one hour in the absorption stage my bank will be fully charged at some point between 1 and 2 hours running time.
If however I discharge to 50%, 350 ah, the bulk phase will be longer, but the absorption phase will also need to be longer to fully charge the bank. How much longer? 120 minutes works for my system, might be just a bit undercharged but solar makes it up.
A state-of-charge monitor can help with determining the time requirement for your bank and your usage.
The absorption voltage is adjusted with the engine running, measured at the battery terminals.
Don’t disconnect the field. Disconnect the T+, which is the battery temperature sensor.
Sheet says factory setting is 14.4V absorption, float would be 13.6V.
Connect DVOM to battery, start engine, wait for continuous green light on regulator. Make small changes to Voltage adjustment screw, wait for results. Go slow and small.
Then check the time voltage reference and determine whether you need to change it.

Thanks for the help. Adjustment was relatively painless, I think.

For anyone doing this in the future, a few notes:

1. Removing the T+(RED) terminal from regular drops the voltage about 0.3V for an accurate reading
2. Must wait for solid green light before making adjustments
3. Timing was defaulted at 1.18V = 59 mins
4. Measure voltage with volt meter from positive battery terminal to negative shunt
5. Turning the adjustment screw ~45 degrees adjusts voltage by about 0.1V
6. Ample Power no longer exists

Jamey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom