Experiences on the AICWW ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raphael

Vessel Name
Magari
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Europe
Hej ...
I am writing you from far away, my boat (Grand Banks 42 Europe) is now in Europe (Italy / Croatia) and I am considering to visit the AICCW, without knowing yet which part of it. Where can I find comments/experiences/reports about voyages on those waters ? What do you think about travelling on those waters ? Its not a "plan" yet, its just an idea, I thought about travelling up slowly from Florida to Boston - I have time, I can make stops ...
Please let me know where I can get some informations / warnings / recommendations.
Thanks for advice
Raphael

Welcome aboard!

Do you have access to Amazon (amazon.com) in Austria? If so, Do a search on Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway and there are numerous cruising guides available at fairly reasonable prices.

Another resource that covers a bit more than just the AICWW is the American Great Loop Cruisers Association. They have some free stuff but to get most info you will need an annual membership which are now $85/year.

https://aglca.clubexpress.com/

You can do a search on this forum and get a lot experiences and opinions, especially mine! ;o) I agree with the aforementioned guidebooks as well.

The Atlantic ICW goes from Florida to Norfolk, Virginia. From there you go up the Chesapeake past Baltimore, across the C&D Canal and down the Delaware River to Cape May, up and around New Jersey, through NYC, across Long Island Sound and through the Cape Cod Canal and up the bay to Boston. I would keep going as Maine is only another couple of days further and is one of the best parts of our Atlantic coastline.

If you can start in Florida in March, plan to hit Norfolk by mid May and NYC by mid June so you can get to Maine by mid July and spend two months there before what- heading back to Boston?

The ICW is easily navigated by a boat such as your GB 42 as well as the more open water passages from Norfolk to Boston.

I assume you will be shipping your GB 42 across the Atlantic.

David

Maybe you could trade someone in the US their GB 42 for yours in Italy.

Thanks...

Fine, I will gather impressions and informations...
Thanks a lot,
Raphael

I routinely travel the AICW from Stuart to Norfolk and have followed as far North as New York City. Will be going as far as Cape Cod this summer.

You will find areas of the route that are tide dependent do to comfortable water depth. The waterway that runs up New Jersey has some shallower areas that you might only transit near high tide. I went up much of the New Jersey coast out in the ocean. Air draft in part of the NJ may be a problem. There was one low bridge that may be an issue in Northern NJ.

One of the members of the forum seasonally did the route between Connecticut and Stuart Florida in a 42' Grand Banks. He transited the NJ coast in the Ocean.

Ted

first steps for a gringo...

Maybe it´s better to try out by renting a boat and have a look in the first year. The rented boat should be offering a similar comfort as a GB42 does, so I do have to search around. And I know that I shouldnt do it, but I am alone on my boat - its sometimes difficult when docking and even to a certain extent risky - and sometimes I just feel lonely - but there is no alternative, I dont want to entertain some guests. (I have 2 engines and 2 thrusters on my boat.)
Sometimes -f.i.in Greece - a renting-contract requires at least 2 persons with license on board - I will see what I find.
If you can recommend any person/company renting out a trawler +-40´ that would help me. And which region would you recommend for a beginners test ?
And if the test goes fine, I would bring my boat next year.
Thanks, hej
Raphael

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom