"Island Gypsy Boats"/Newport Mtr Yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
This advert for a "Newport 460" is interesting: https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...s/newport-460-motor-yacht-demonstrator/241499.
The Advert says it is built by Newport Motor Yachts and designed by Island Gypsy Boats.
I wonder who/what IGB is? Island Gypsy usually attributed design to Harvey Halvorsen.
The interior looks possibly "Integrity" to me. The exterior doesn`t look IG and I don`t recall an IG without flybridge. Maybe someone acquired the name. I thought Integrity "acquired" the IG moulds.
Advert says it drives via a gearbox and uses "Python Drive". There`s a research project.

Last edited:
Island Gypsy is the name of a boat designed by Halvorsen.
Newport 460 is a design by Island Gypsy Boats.
Doubt there is any connection.

Python drive appear to be an expensive CV joint. I'll stick with my drivesaver.

Last edited:
Island Gypsy is the name of a boat designed by Halvorsen.
Newport 460 is a design by Island Gypsy Boats.
Doubt there is any connection.
Very likely there is no connection.
But there is an attempt to assert a connection.

FYI - I might have missed it but I have searched for Island Gypsy Boats and all references lead to K&H.

I came across this short article by Harvey Halvorsen:

Island Gypsy — Halvorsen Boats

Note the palatial HK premises.
The mention of "Jet Tern" and "Yardway" on the builder plates is interesting. I`d heard of "Yardway" in the IG context but not "Jet Tern".
The other interesting observation is that American Marine(builders of GB) is said to be in bankruptcy at the time IG came into being. IG certainly "borrowed" heavily on GB designs, though hull differences, especially the bow, were distinguishing.

Last edited:
Good article, thanks Bruce.

I received this, somehow I`m on their spam list:
https://mailchi.mp/3fefef40ffa7/island-gypsy-newport-5781107?e=50b9f15862
I see Brett Flanagan(called "Flanno" by a couple of brokers I met who had worked with him) is involved. He was involved in Integrity Boats, now merged into Whitehaven. He now appears connected to a Queensland Gold Coast brokerage, and to be developing the "Island Gypsy Boats" brand line. The boats appear a cross between a trawler and a sportsfisher, more the latter.
The boat with Sydney Harbour Bridge in the background looks photoshopped.
Interesting to see where this goes. Boat market is not great here in Oz.

Last edited:
ISLAND GYPSY 40 Europa

Dear all, I am looking for real info on the quality and sea handling of an ISLAND GYPSY 40 Europa 1992 . Heard that it cruises pretty badly due to small rudders and over powered ( twin caterpillar 300HP) so she swings.... but that was from a surveyor who seemed to not like this boat too much as a whole. could someone gives his/hers opinion / experience. thanks a lot . David

Dear all, I am looking for real info on the quality and sea handling of an ISLAND GYPSY 40 Europa 1992 . Heard that it cruises pretty badly due to small rudders and over powered ( twin caterpillar 300HP) so she swings.... but that was from a surveyor who seemed to not like this boat too much as a whole. could someone gives his/hers opinion / experience. thanks a lot . David
This Report by the late David Pascoe? https://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/IslandGypsy40.htm
I`ve seen one on the water but that`s all, thought it looked handsome. You don`t have to run it above trawler hull speed, that would overcome some overly harsh objections Pascoe raised. And what`s so odd about 2" shafts on a boat that size and weight?
However, check build quality,any issues should be well obvious at this age. The one tested was built by Jiang Hua not Kong & Halvorsen. A faithful construction,even keeping up the osmosis tradition. Check teak decks,and for water entry via decks affecting the tanks.
The hull is designed by Harvey Halvorsen of the famous Halvorsen boatbuilding family. Good coastal cruising potential.

Last edited:
I have seen worse reviews, can't remember when though.

There seems to have been some pretty murky goings on over the years about naming rights and the use of the molds. To what extent you could call this an IG from the Halvorsen stable I am not sure.

One thing though, I agree with Pascoe's observations of these style of boats when put on the plane.

We have the twin 120 Lehman's, which gives nowhere near the power of this boat in question. However, open Sarawana up to 2,500rpm & she will get onto the plane.

What a change though. Gone is my lovely purring docile virtually self steering,teetotaling girl. In its place is a flighty, neurotic she devil that roars like the hounds of hell, and threatens to overcome all with diesel fumes drawn up from the wet exhausts, and to boot, drinks like a shearer on a Saturday night.Talk about a Jekyll and Hyde.

Here`s some more spam from Sanctuary Boat Sales guy Brett Flanagan(ex Integrity) about the new Island Gypsy Boats model. One entire side of the main cabin is given over to galley, I just don`t get that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom