43 Albin mast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome aboard. On a previous boat I added a mast to a boat that did not have one. I went to a used marine equipment store and bought a damaged spinnaker pole and made the mast out of it. Worked well.

The one I bought had a small bend in it so it couldn’t be used as a spinnaker pole anymore. The bend was near one end so they sold it to me for a really low price, don’t recall how much but it wasn’t much. I cut the end off with the bend and had a spreader welded on it and a couple of brackets to bolt it onto the boat. I bought it at Minney’s in Costa Mesa, CA but there should be places near you that have used marine equipment. Good luck.

I would not look for a spinnaker pole but a broken mast component with a boom and the boom attachment.

They are not hard to find.

The normal setup makes life a lot easier than just trying to deal with a purely round Spinnaker Pole with no boom which is very valuable in the future.

Last edited:
I removed my mast, sorry, I'm not ready to get rid of it but you could go the route I went for replacing it with a shorter one.
I made mine about 8 feet long (tall) I used ash 3/4 lumber. Cut angled edges and tapered the cut boards from about 3 inches at the base to about one inch at the top. I sanded it to round, (not as big of a job as it sounds) It is six sided
Mixed fiberglass resin and poured it in to open end and caught the residue at the other end. repoured it until it was getting close to setting then started over.
Primer and Brightsides on the outside.

I guess I could have just cut a few feet off the original mast but I wasn't sure if I would like the shorter mast. I'm still not sure, that's why I'm not ready to get rid of the original. I do like the fact that there are no guy wires on the shorter mast.

pete

Back
Top Bottom