tablet for navionic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
The glare is making it almost impossible on the bridge to see the scren on my I phone and an Ipad I have now

what are you using?

I use Raymarine MFDs so glare isn’t an issue but we do use iPads for reading etc. The glare does make them tough to use outside so I usually don’t. I have not tried any of the screen protectors but some of them say they reduce glare. Have you tried anything like that?

I use a Samsung Tab S4 Android. No problem with glare on my flybridge with just a bimini top. I have noticed many complaints about glare on Apple products.
The glare is making it almost impossible on the bridge to see the scren on my I phone and an Ipad I have now

what are you using?

Inexpensive fix with non-glare screen protector, as long as the brightness is adequate.

I used one of those on the I-Pad I had/have. It works, sort of. It reduces glare but it also reduces brightness and clarity. Plus, the image can only be seen when viewing the screen from near dead straight-on. It was very annoying, at best. I suppose if one has their I-Pad in a fixed mount it might be okay but, again, why put up with all that when other non-Apple products wiith no such deficiencies are out there with equal or better technical functionality at less cost?
Inexpensive fix with non-glare screen protector, as long as the brightness is adequate.

I use a Samsung Tab S4 Android. No problem with glare on my flybridge with just a bimini top. I have noticed many complaints about glare on Apple products.

+1. I have two Android tablets with Navionics for backup to my primary Furuno system. No visability or glare problems that I've noticed.

Ken Furuno said they can't interface with Navionics,

can you elaborate on that?

We have relatively recent two Samsung Galaxy Tab A (Android) tablets, one 8" and one 10" -- both OK on our covered flybridge. Also two Galaxy S5 smartphones, ditto OK, much older and slightly not as bright as the tablets.

Not at all as clearly visible as our installed plotter, fishfinder, etc, displays, but good back-ups, though. Not "glare" so much as just not the brightest bulbs on the planet.

-Chris

Last edited:
Going to go to my Verizon store to check out the androids the s5e in the new model

Ken Furuno said they can't interface with Navionics,

can you elaborate on that?

The Anrdroid tablets running Navionics are stand-alone, not connected to Furuno which is on C-Map.

Regarding Furuno's comment though, I ran Navionics on a Furuno Vx2 system for many years and it worked fine.:confused:

I used one of those on the I-Pad I had/have. It works, sort of. It reduces glare but it also reduces brightness and clarity. Plus, the image can only be seen when viewing the screen from near dead straight-on. It was very annoying, at best. I suppose if one has their I-Pad in a fixed mount it might be okay but, again, why put up with all that when other non-Apple products wiith no such deficiencies are out there with equal or better technical functionality at less cost?

Those parameters seem to vary with manufacturer, etc. Some actually improve clarity at the expense of a small amount of resolution. Unfortunately, there is not real way to tell when ordering from Amazon and the like without a lot of trial and error.

Back
Top Bottom