Blue Water Dreaming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralsy

Hi there everyone.
Me and the missus are going through our due diligence in relation to buying a GB Europa 46 as well as making a monumental life changing decision to basically sell almost everything and live aboard our boat. Looking forward to meeting and discussing the ups and downs of boating life.
Cheers

Welcome aboard, and good luck with the big transition! I'm working on doing the same.

YouTube has many video blogs from those who have made that decision. Like all social media you will likely find a bias towards the positive aspects but others are more transparent. I don't think you know for sure until you try so I would find a way to dip my toe first before I did anything irreversible. Even if both parties are 100% committed there are so many other variables that will impact the lifestyle. I would particularly want to speak to couples who tried it and chose not to pursue it. I believe this process requires one to be brutally honest with themselves and their mate as it would be easy to rationalize and discount the negatives and risks. Also the realities of the costs, the capability of the boat and the goals as well as your experience and tolerance for facing frequent challenges. If you are looking at serious ocean crossings for me I don't think a GB 46 would be realistic. For coastal and some island hopping it would be a good choice. Please keep us updated as you pursue this idea.

Thanks for the reply. We are trying to research as much as possible. But, until you are actually living the lifestyle on a daily basis you just won't really know. An expensive mistake if it's not for you. Trying to dip our toes first is difficult. Hiring or chartering a boat is expensive and what is a week here or there going to reveal. It is a thought. Unfortunately this boat is exactly the condition and has the extras that we're looking for, so feeling a little pressure to make a decision.

Back
Top Bottom