How to find the exact center of my property tidelands to install mooring bouy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsherif

Hi
How do I locate the center of my tidelands property to place my mooring bouy? I have a neighbor who thinks that our mooring anchor is too close to her property line. The guy that installed our bouy says it’s in the center of our property. We need proof that it is in the center. Problem arises at negative tides and the current is flowing towards our neighbor. We have a 107’ of beachfront property. We are willing to relocate it to keep peace.
Thanks Ginny

Get a civil engineer.

Hi
How do I locate the center of my tidelands property to place my mooring bouy? I have a neighbor who thinks that our mooring anchor is too close to her property line. The guy that installed our bouy says it’s in the center of our property. We need proof that it is in the center. Problem arises at negative tides and the current is flowing towards our neighbor. We have a 107’ of beachfront property. We are willing to relocate it to keep peace.
Thanks Ginny

Ah, you have one of "those". LOL

If you determine the location to be correct then, she can employ someone to get a second option. If she still maintains she is correct, 'see you in court.'
You can verify everything based upon your title insurance.

I would start with the GPS coordinates. Take all the slack out or all the mooring rhode till its absolutely vertical. Then with a hand held GPS take a picture of the coordinates. All land surveying is done with GPS and a computer program. With the coordinates, it should be pretty simple to plot the mooring anchor of you property survey.

My guess is that it's in the right place, but with all the scope for the chain and painter, the boat is quite a bit from the anchor.

Ted

So you want to be in the center of your 107’ wide property. That means your bouy will be 53.5’ from your neighbor’s property line. Your boat is how long, including bow sprit and swim platform, say 40’. That means your mooring tackle can only have 13.5’ of horizontal scope to your bow pulpit. 13.5’ is very unlikely.

Is your mooring permitted? If not this sounds like a riparian rights dispute and your neighbor may have a point.

David

Well 107 ft is not very long when allowing for horizontal scope as David points out.

How about putting two moorings down near the edges of your property, and then tie both fore and aft?

Legally is it typically just the mooring that has to be on your property, she doesnt own the water.If you have fences or survey pins and can build a temporary set of range markers that you can line up to get center of your property. That should get you pretty damn close. Love those kind of neighbors!
HOLLYWOOD

First it’s very rare for some one to hold title to land below “mean high water” in the stat of Washington. I said rare, which means there are some exceptions. Is this in fact one of those exceptions or do you in fact hold a DNR lease permit?

Lots of good advice, and good questions.

As for locating the mooring, the only defensible way is to hire a surveyor. I don't see any need for an engineer.

But the outstanding questions are key.

What rights do you and your neighbor have to the segments of water in question? Deeded land is typically to the HW line or the LW line, depending on the state. And when deeded to the LW line, there is often a public right of way across the inter-tidal zone. This is how is works in Mass, but I don't know what the rules are in WA, assuming that's where this is.

If not deeded, then is their some lease from the state who otherwise hold the right to those water segments.

And given whatever rights you and your neighbor have, is the right to place something on the bottom, or it is also a right to the water surface above? The answers will tell you whether you just can't place the mooring on her plot, or if you also can't allow your boat to swing into her plot.

So I think I'd first research and get clear on what the rules are, what your obligations are, and what here rights are. Then figure out if you are compliant, or how to become so.

I hold title to submerged land. One is 75ftX16.5 The other.... 55FtX15.

I hold title to submerged land. One is 75ftX16.5 The other.... 55FtX15.

So where does the mooring go? If it has to be beyond a the 15-16.5' point, then you are in state underwater land and need a permit, right?

With the permit in hand, presumably that solves all of the problems with your neighbor.

David

So where does the mooring go? If it has to be beyond a the 15-16.5' point, then you are in state underwater land and need a permit, right?

With the permit in hand, presumably that solves all of the problems with your neighbor.

David

David, in my case, it is a private marine, sort of a condo association.

I have a neighbor who thinks that our mooring anchor is too close to her property line.

The mooring anchor itself, or a boat attached to it? It sort of helps to 'set the stage' to understand just how much of a problem is present. Some solutions don't need to escalate.... but others do.

An aside, we had a neighbor dealing with complaints about trimming to shrubbery. The bushes had gotten way out of hand and the homeowner asked about trimming them. The neighbor said no and was quite hostile about it. So the homeowner had a survey done and determined the bushes had actually been improperly planted on his lot. So instead of what could have been a simple trimming, the owner removed the offending plants entirely. Along with a "if you have any more complaints we'll gladly sue to recover our costs".

So it's really a question of what is driving the neighbor to complain?

Back
Top Bottom