43 ft president

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
We have a 43 ft president which is very new to us . Any suggestions on how to get on and off the boat. And also when docking when there is no one to catch the lines . Any advice would be much appreciated thank you

The motoryacht style of the President 43 does make it tough to get on and off. Obviously going down the aft ladder to the swim platform and then jumping off to the dock, either to the side or aft is the way it was designed to work.

But you could add a side ladder so you could climb down from the sun deck to the dock level. The President has an opening hatch like you see on transoms on either side of the sundeck. You could install a ladder there to get down to dock level.

See the attached pic of a Sea Ray which shows a side ladder but in this case it is forward of the sun deck.

David

Attachments

• Sea Ray.jpg
    Sea Ray.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 73
Thank you David

KEVMAR... what is your mooring/docking situation?

We have a 44 Trojan Flybridge MY very similar to your President. Our permanent dock is a covered slip with a wooden access stairway built which has small enclosed dock storage underneath. This was already with the boat when we bought her early this year.

I've re-painted it and also added a gang-plank so the dogs (and us hoomans) can walk on and off without stepping over an opening 8' to the water.

It is a solid oak plank 1" x 20" x 5' that rests across the top of the stair landing and extends over to the port walkway/entry point of the boat. On the landing attach point, it is hinged with gate hinges, as I lift it up and tie it off when getting underway. On the boat end are 3 2" casters, rubber non-marring wheels that handle the movement while pier side. Over top of it is a length of 24" wide rubber matting/carpet runner you get at Menard's by the foot.

Works great.

I also back into my slip and I can step off the ladder down to the swim deck right onto the dock.

Your particular situation will dictate your options.

Are you allowed anything on your dock that would allow something similar?

We have a 41’ President DC. The sundeck is about 4’+ above the water. At our home dock 3 years ago the sundeck was a little above the dock so it was an easy step aboard. The Great Lakes have been rising steadily. Last year I added a step on the dock because my wife said the sundeck was up too high. This year I added another step on top of the first step in April. Last week I had to take the two steps apart and add a third step under them. In the phots the stained step was the original and the two unstained ones were added this year. Since Oct 2016 we have gained 28” of water.

The second photo is a ladder that hooks into two keyhole slotted brackets for boarding from low docks. It works great if you like vertical ladders. Notice the safety lanyard to hold the ladder if it comes loose so it won’t float to the bottom. The lanyard also keeps the ladder attached to the boat if you get underway with the ladder still deployed. Ask me how I know about that...

Attachments

• 784E4970-A170-4BCE-90EC-DBA4D95E8A80.jpg
    784E4970-A170-4BCE-90EC-DBA4D95E8A80.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 4107C4FD-22AD-472B-9A59-B037027B78D1.jpg
    4107C4FD-22AD-472B-9A59-B037027B78D1.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 55
We are similar to Comodave, but with a 5 step "deck" stair set up made from pressure treated wood. My wife brings 2 long bow lines with her to the swim platform, as we enter my slip, she steps off and is my "bow thruster" as I back up. I step onto the stairs from the port side sundeck. Practice practice practice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom