Cruiisng Community Loses a Friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello Fellow Cruisers:

It saddens me beyond measure to report the passing this morning, October 19, 2007 of Fred Fearing in Elizabeth City, North Carolina. Any of you who have ever berthed at the free city docks here will recognize Fred's name immediately. He was the co-founder and long time guiding spirt of the "Rose Buddies," a group of local volunteers who met cruisers at the city waterfront and presented the female members of the vessel's compliment with roses (hence their name), and everyone with pamphlets and information about Elizabeth City and the surrounding region. If as many as three to five boats were docked along the city waterfront on any given evening, an impromptu wine and cheese party was struck up in the parking lot next door. And, I can tell you from personal experience, a good time was had by all!

I worked with Fred just two years ago, while I was hosting the "Cruising Carolina" television series. The waterfront conversation was as warm and witty as ever, but I began to wonder just how many more years Fred would be able to keep up this pace. Sadly, that question is now answered.

It would be wonderful to have as many cruisers present at Fred's funeral service this weekend, as possible. Details will be posted on the Salty Southeast Cruisers' Net shortly after you received this announcement. In an hour or so, go to http://www.CruisersNet.net, and click on the "North Carolina" link, under the "Cruising News From" section, along the left side of the page.

Unfortunately, I already have a sure and firm commitment this weekend, so will be unable to attend myself. However, Fred, please know that I will be there very much in spirit. I bid you a most heartfelt farewell. May the wind always be at your back, may the road rise to meet you, and may God hold you in the palm of His hand!

Good luck and good cruising to all!

Claiborne S. Young
CruisingWriter@CruisersNet.net
http://www.CruisersNet.net

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom