Cat operating pressures normal and alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbnunn

Vessel Name
BIRDIE
Vessel Make
President 52
We are proud owners of BIRDIE a president 52 now 30 years old. She has had some much needed tender loving care over the two years of our ownership. We are berthed on Spain and have had just a few short passages in her. She has 2 x Cat 3208 rated 375 hp each both have run about 2200 hours. All manuals on board are in french ( po was french). I am a little embaressed to ask guidance in what the two pressure gauges at the engine controls at both helm stations are exactly for and what should be the normal and alarm readings.
My understanding of the manual is lub oil pressure should be between 50 and 87 psi. Fuel pressure should be minimum of 20psi any less indicates filters need changing.
Left hand pressure gauge is for 0 to 350 psi.
Right hand pressure gauge is for 0 to 145 psi.
What is what ? The french Cat manual states consult the boat builders documentation but we do not have any.
Motors just serviced by local outfit but they only speak Catalans.
Any advice in this greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you have a transmission pressure gauge left side with the oil pressure gauge right.

Yep, Left is transmission and should be in the 250 psi area, right is oil and should be just above 60 psi. Don’t know when the alarms go off.

If factory wired, the alarms are dual purpose- low oil pressure and high temp.

I believe the low oil pressure kicks in at 8 psi, and the temp goes off at 200 f.

'All manuals on board are in french ( po was french).'

Getting a copy of "Da Book", the big maint. manual in the language of your choice would seem to be prudent.

It will prove invaluable !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom