Heating on a GB 46

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yvr2ams

question was posted on a different thread but thought it might be better to start a new one.
How well does the diesel hydronic heating system do on this Vancouver winter weather? How much fuel does it burn at this 0-5C weather?

I'm in Boston on a GB 42 with a webasto 90ST hydronic.
Our boat is partially insulated, and obviously a bit smaller, but it's also a good 5-10C colder here - so I would guess our heating requirements might actually be fairly similar.

We use 80 gallons per month in the heart of the winter. I'm guessing we'll be at about 250 gallons for the entire season.

It doesn't get that cold here in the South of France, maybe 3/4 months and that's it, we don't get any of that white fluffy stuff.
But as I get older I get softer and any fool can be uncomfortable.
Our 42' is partially insulated, as soon as a part of the hull is exposed for access for any reason we insulate it.
We've also insulated all the hot air delivery pipes with 'snap on insulation' sleeves which make a considerable difference to the delivery temperature.
We fitted a 8 kw Planar diesel fired hot air system on our boat and we're very happy with it, it boosts our 5 KW shoreside winter supply.
Its made in China as a copy of a Russian heater but basically they're the same as Webasto or Eberspacher except for the price.
I paid 220 Euro's plus 60 for customs and found it on a site called www.Wish.com along with some stainless steel hatch handles and stainless press studs for our winter window covers.
I've got no commercial ties with them, I'm just a tight fisted bargain seeker.
BUT buyer beware, some goods look good in the photo's but are actually smaller, beware any cutting tools, they are only good for 5/6 uses, then bin them.

We have a Webasto 2010S hydronic heater, good for a 50 ft power boat according to Sure Marine. It uses .4 gal/hr (1.5 l/hr) and keeps our boat nice and warm. We have 3 zones and a heater/defroster on the flybridge for when we are traveling. Note: flybridge doesn't get as warm as the inside because it is canvas covered, but it does take the edge off. In this cold weather it is running about a 50% duty cycle, 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off.

Remember, if the unit uses .4 gallons per hour, that means constant running. Usually hydronic systems cycle. I could go all winter on 30 gallons on my 34’ sail boat. I have no idea what my 60’ boat uses as I have 650 gallons on board.

Nothing provides heat like a diesel hydronic system.

On trunk design like GB would go with hot air as opposed to hydronic unless domestic hot water is major consideration.
1. Large engine room space gives you lots of hose routing options.
2. Hot air is electrically much more amp hour friendly. Slightly more noise depending on installation.
3. In BC, humidity is always a challenge. Hot air allows you to adjust how much outside makeup air is brought into boat, displacing moisture laden air, keeping boat dry.
4. Far less complex installation.
5. Trade off is not able to heat hot water tank. Morning coffee maker, hair dryer and bulk battery charging probably has enough genset run time to heat hot water tank up?
6. 2 hot air units probably cost less than 1 complete hydronic setup.

The advantage of hydronic or any combustion, vented appliance is it changes the inside air, removing moisture from the boat. All steam from cooking and showers plus moisture from your breath stays inside the boat unless vented. Most people with electric heat close up their boat tight and then wonder why their clothes and bedding are wet or damp.
I have a hydronic system with one or two forced air heaters in each cabin. I have a boiler and a Webasto. I have an 83' boat with 5 zones. In the winter unused cabins are set to about 50°F. In 20°F weather either boiler or Wabasto burns about 5-6 gallons a day. But I usually run a pellet stove 24/7 with water coils that heat the boiler for about 2-40# bags a day. About the same cost as heating with $2/gallon diesel. When diesel was over $4 I installed the pellet stove.
My relative humidity usually runs 40 - 50% in coastal Oregon even when it's raining or foggy.

YVR
Debating brands of hydronic units is over shadowed by the quality of the install. Pick your installer carefully. In BC, talk to locally made Hurricane/ITR about who in your area can do it best. When cruising, it is simple and easy to utilize engine heat via the hydronic system thus no boiler firing.

Even during BC winters, the higher diesel use periods are pretty short. Especially if your vessel is docked out of a boathouse. For the record, our vessel is berthed in BC. The unit is Hurricane, but more importantly smart hydronic help nearby.

There is a used , complete hydronic system currently advertised on this site.

Too small for real minus 0 F winters , but should be fine for your location.

An advantage of hydronic is the engine can heat it when cruising and before starting in cold weather, I run the coolant thru the engines.

Back
Top Bottom