Would you...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamup

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bay Tripper
Vessel Make
'06 MS 34 Pilot
I'm having the headliner replaced in the main cabin which would make this the perfect time to upgrade to LED lighting. The existing lighting works fine with no issues. 1) Would you bother or is this a solution looking for a problem? 2) Do I need marine specific (inside a cabin) or would these work just as well?
https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Lighti...&pf_rd_p=229fd97a-234c-54a3-bbee-5924e4981600

Thanks

My current headliner is in good shape. I just removed the old bulbs and replaced them with LED. The LED matched the base of the old bulbs. No need to replace the entire unit, unless, of course, you’re looking forward to a different design or coverage.

One question, what is your typical boat usage? Do yo mainly stay at anchor on your batteries or mainly at the dock hooked to power?
For the first it will save some amps for something else, if the second that well does not matter much.

L

Absolutely yes, go with LED lighting. We love ours.

absolutely, LEDs, but ones you reference are way too dim. Get ones that will give you the light you need, perhaps 10w or greater, and the ability to individually turn them off would be really handy.

Jam: Let’s face it, ....we’re probably sll headed for LED replacements someday. If you’re already messing with it, you may as well. Hard to say no to the power savings.

Just a thought when considering LED lighting. Pick the “color” or temperature you enjoy. We like “warm white”, 2,000K-4,000K. Above 4,500K the light gets too blue and natural colors disappear, in my opinion, anyway.

I'm having the headliner replaced in the main cabin which would make this the perfect time to upgrade to LED lighting. The existing lighting works fine with no issues. 1) Would you bother or is this a solution looking for a problem? 2) Do I need marine specific (inside a cabin) or would these work just as well?

https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Lighti...&pf_rd_p=229fd97a-234c-54a3-bbee-5924e4981600

Thanks

I have tried to find direct replacement led bulbs for my Mainship 390 but the led’s are much larger than the original bulbs and the lense cover will no longer fit. I’ll have to replace all the fixtures. So I am putting it off.

I used these to replace all the bulbs in the salon and berth headliners throughout our Mainship 370. 28 bulbs total (!!) but well worth it. Huge reduction in power consumption and even though the old halogens were very small 20 watts, they burned hotter than the surface of the sun, so collectively they had to put out a ton of heat, fighting the air conditioner. The halogens burned so hot you could feel some of the warm spots up on the flybridge floor. These LED's are nice warm white (2700) but most importantly, these flat/skinny bulbs fit the Hella puck light housings in the headliner. I probably ordered four other styles that wouldn't fit before I found these. They're also brighter than the halogens.

https://www.amazon.com/Yuiip-Dustproof-Replacement-Generation-Shockproof/dp/B06WRS71VZ

Last edited:
Sorry, I posted the 10w equivalents, here's the 20w:

https://www.amazon.com/Halogen-Repl...=yuiip+20w&dpPl=1&dpID=51pfqFMQUoL&ref=plSrch

I should say not every bulb worked - about 1 in 10 were duds (yes, i know the pins have to be inserted the right way) and if you bend these too hard they'll snap, but at that price they're still a bargain in my opinion. Now I have to replace the Hella gooseneck reading lights in the berths, they're just awful, never worked right.

Good finds everyone.
Five years ago, with less options, I placed dimmable LED rope lights on top of the blinds housing in the salon.
It works well because of the old Krogens' gelcoat ceiling.

Now, with more bases available, it's even easier to modify, replace.

This thread makes me inspired to replace my last few, little used holdouts, in the shower and closet.

I would recommend dimmable for the salon.

Sorry, I posted the 10w equivalents, here's the 20w:

https://www.amazon.com/Halogen-Repl...=yuiip+20w&dpPl=1&dpID=51pfqFMQUoL&ref=plSrch

I should say not every bulb worked - about 1 in 10 were duds (yes, i know the pins have to be inserted the right way) and if you bend these too hard they'll snap, but at that price they're still a bargain in my opinion. Now I have to replace the Hella gooseneck reading lights in the berths, they're just awful, never worked right.

No duds (so far). I ordered another ten pack to do every interior light on the boat. 14 of 14 worked!

Last edited:
No duds (so far). I ordered another ten pack to do every interior light on the boat. 14 of 14 worked!

Oh good. To get those flat-tab LEDs into my light housings I need to bend them just a little so perhaps I cracked a couple.

Those were such a good buy. A shape that finally fit the housings, nice and bright but 2700* warm white so they weren't harsh. And on those 100* summer nights when both AC units were running at the same time and we had all the interior lights on, and then the fridge would kick on, the breakers would sometimes trip. After installing those LEDs the breakers never trip.

Jamup - glad the bulbs worked. Mind if I ask what you are replacing your headliner with?

Switchable LED, 12V warm lights

Does anyone know where to get switchable, 12V, warm LED lights?

Jamup - glad the bulbs worked. Mind if I ask what you are replacing your headliner with?

Nothing fancy- vinyl headliner material supplied by the canvas/upholstery people. I thought about doing this myself, but I'm glad I didn't. It took two people 20 hours to complete! The end result looks fantastic.

Hi All, first post but long-time reader. I've replaced the existing halogen bulbs in every fixture in the boat (a 42' GB Motoryacht); overheads, reading lights and engine room. Couldn't be happier. LED's came from http://marinebeam.com and were direct replacements for each type of fixture. In addition to the benefits already mentioned, halogen bulbs lose both color temperature and intensity as they age, so you end up with a salon full of lights of varying color and brightness. LED's do not have these characteristics so the quality of light throughout the boat improves dramatically. Jeff is the guy to talk to at marinebeam.com -- very nice and very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom