Mainship 34 exhaust hose replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbernbuck

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Finale
Vessel Make
Rosborough RF246 Custom Pilothouse 2000
My 82 Mainship 34 is currently hauled out for bottom paint and other winter maintenance. I was inspecting the exhaust outlet in the transom and stuck my arm up into the outlet and discovered the exhaust hose had delaminated and the inner rubber layer bulging in an inch or so at least where I could reach. Looks like time to replace.

My question to those who may have tackled this is, how to remove the hose at the transom fitting? I appears to be a real tight fit back there, not sure even a small person can get in there to remove the clamps. Possibly cut an access hole in the cockpit floor?

Thanks everyone.

Just had to replace our generator exhaust hose on our CHB 42' Sundeck:nonono: Took the floor/base out of a locker in rear corner of master stateroom - there the hose exited the boat. Unhooked the hose, tied a line to it, and pulled on the hose 25', from the front of engine room where the gen is located - thank goodness the hose was not clamped/secured anywhere - it slid all the way out. Tied the new hose to the line in the engine room, and then pulled back on the line from the closet in the master stateroom - turned out to be very simple. Good luck with yours:thumb:

They get stuck on the barb pretty good and have wire in them so they're hard to cut, I've found using a large pipe wrench and twisting as though it were a fitting breaks them loose. I've also found wrapping it in a towel soaked in hot soapy water seems to help before the wrench treatment. Be careful to not use more pressure than your exhaust outlet fitting can bear. Hope you have room to work, be crammed in a tight space doing stuff like this ain't fun, good luck.

They get stuck on the barb pretty good and have wire in them so they're hard to cut, I've found using a large pipe wrench and twisting as though it were a fitting breaks them loose. I've also found wrapping it in a towel soaked in hot soapy water seems to help before the wrench treatment.

If I'm replacing it, I cut it off.

If I'm replacing it, I cut it off.

Everyone has their own technique, most of the time they just slide right off after I twist them and break the seal which saves hacking rubber and clipping wire for me but both work.

You might think about cutting the hose and removing the fitting from the transom pulling it out from outside.
At this age of the boat resealing the fitting makes sense.

Well, got the exhaust hose off but it fought me all the way. Ended up cutting hose in several sections with a saws all, cutting clamps with a grinder-on-a-stick method and then saws all on the flange to get the last bit off. Hopefully installing the new one will go smoothly.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rotten job but the comfort is in knowing that you’ll never have to do it again even though you are now an expert!

Pitcairn Island! Holy crap, “boating” takes on an entirely new meaning....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom