Washington DC dockage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
Does anyone know of any seasonal or year-round dockage in the DC area?

Daddyo, check out the Capitol Yacht Club. Stayed there some years ago, they did have quite a few live aboards at the time. Good location for all things Downtown. Good luck.

Second Capital Yacht Club. Stay there for about a week last summer. Boat next door was a liveaboard. Brand new first class facility.

Might check the Washington Marina and/or the Wharf Marina. The Wharf Marina was recently redone. There were live aboards before. Not sure of the situation now.

You mention “DC Area”, if you don’t need to dock your boat in DC, Annapolis has great options. It can be less expensive, better cruising options and the commute is approx 45 minutes +- to the city. Lots of us Annapolitan’s commute to DC everyday. Just something to consider.

I am going to be commuting into DC. I assumed it would be a lot more than 45 minutes though?

An alternative to driving into D.C., would be the MTA (Maryland Transit Authority) Commuter Bus. Never took the Annapolis to D.C. bus, but I have logged many trips on two of the other MTA routes.

Now I work at home 3 - 4 days a week (unless I'm travelling) and that's the best commute of all!

Jim

You mention “DC Area”, if you don’t need to dock your boat in DC, Annapolis has great options. It can be less expensive, better cruising options and the commute is approx 45 minutes +- to the city. Lots of us Annapolitan’s commute to DC everyday. Just something to consider.

So that's 1.5 hours per day commuting. Depending on the exact locations of your work, home, and the times you commute, I would think 45 minutes/way might be optimistic.

No way I'd want to do it on a daily basis.

I hear you regarding the DC commute. Plenty of folks deal with lengthy commutes around here everyday. And yes, in rush hour that time would be longer. Lots of people live in bedroom communities outside the beltway and drive into town. I have a 45 min commute from my home in Annapolis to the Baltimore area daily. It is what it is.....

An alternative to driving into D.C., would be the MTA (Maryland Transit Authority) Commuter Bus. Never took the Annapolis to D.C. bus, but I have logged many trips on two of the other MTA routes.

Wifey did the Annapolis-DC bus commute for several years. Worked OK, but yes, it takes time. (And then unscheduled late nights working required a Plan B, too -- that was usually me, driving to the New Carrolton Metro Station to met her). OTOH, commuting the same route by car takes time too, and then there's parking.

OTOOH, faster access to the Bay from Annapolis area -- or perhaps the Deale area, near another cummuter bus route I think -- is a trade-off compared to being way up the Potomac in downtown DC.

-Chris

Might want to keep the boat in Annapolis (or somewhere around there) and live near work. I don't know about others, but I go to work a lot more often than I go to my boat.

When I worked at the Washington Navy Yard, I kept my boat at the James Creek Marina in SW. Not as nice as the Capital Yacht Club, but it wasn't bad and the price was right.

That was 15 years ago. If I was going back, I'd look into the Yards Marina as well as James Creek. I don't know anything about it other than walking past it several times in recent years on my way to ball games. Excellent location and atmosphere along the new Anacostia waterfront.

https://www.yardsmarina.com/

Last edited:
There are a number of marinas on the Anacostia and further down the Potomac (Occaquan, Aquia Creek, Ft. Washington, Columbia, etc.).

But it depends on where you intend to boat, what kind of boat you have, and what you do with it. From DC by boat it is about 200 miles to Annapolis (down the Potomac and back up the Bay).

The Bay is more interesting, but requires more time to take advantage of it. For us, if we only have a limited time, we cruise the Potomac (day trip, overnight). Longer trips are on the Bay (3 days to 1 week+). But my boat is small and can be repositioned via a trailer at 60 mph.

I live at the Waterfront at DC. The Capital Yacht Club is, indeed, quite lovely. I have a liveaboard at the the Wharf Gangplank Marina (reportedly the largest liveaboard community on the East Coast). Brand new docks there. Look up the marina office online (not yet sure of TF rules on providing phone numbers).

Best thing about the Wharf area is its proximity to the Washington Metro system, with two stations within walking distance (< 1/2 mile), as well as over 16 bars/restaurants and several live music venues. Moved to the area 2 years ago and acquired liveaboard rights last year.

I spent two summers (5 months and 4 months) at the National Harbor Marina under the Ferris Wheel. As I recall one of the 55’ liveaboards paid about $800-$900 per month with a 12 month contract.

The marina is under new contract management with Oasis taking over from IGY. Oasis also manages Gangplank Marina and The Wharf on the DC channel.

A DC ordinance only permits 100 live aboard berths in the DC channels (Wharf and Gangplank, etc.). These are rare to come by and oftern requires you buy the boat or houseboat in one of these slips if you want one. I am unsure how the Capital Yacht Club handles their live aboards.

There are some other DC marinas, such as James Creek and Columbia Yacht Basin. But as I recall these are under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service and have very restrictive regulations that wont let anyone stay on board for more than 3 days per week.

Last comment on National Harbor and the Wharf. Both are subject to some pretty good rollers when the Water Taxi Catermarans come an go from the nearby public docks. Also, both are located in recreational areas with music, dancing, partying and crowds.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom