Surveyor Recommendations Northeast US - NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bridaus

Vessel Name
Morgan le Fay
Vessel Make
KK 42
Anyone have a recommendation in the NYC area?

Fiberglass 30-50ft diesel.

I'm most concerned with hull/decks.

Anyone have a recommendation in the NYC area?

Fiberglass 30-50ft diesel.

I'm most concerned with hull/decks.

I would focus your effort on finding the right boat and doing as much due diligence as you can. 35-50' diesel is quite the range. You have at least a dozen steps to go in the process before its time to find a surveyor. It is very difficult to survey boats in the north east between Jan-Mar due to cold and that most boats are winterized, shrink wrapped, etc.

I would focus your effort on finding the right boat and doing as much due diligence as you can. 35-50' diesel is quite the range. You have at least a dozen steps to go in the process before its time to find a surveyor. It is very difficult to survey boats in the north east between Jan-Mar due to cold and that most boats are winterized, shrink wrapped, etc.

I wondered how much detail/pre-explaining I should do. :)

I have found some candidates, and done a massive amount of research (avid reader) and have some experience. This particular boat is in the water and not winterized (kept as a live-aboard).

I wondered how much detail/pre-explaining I should do. :)

I have found some candidates, and done a massive amount of research (avid reader) and have some experience. This particular boat is in the water and not winterized (kept as a live-aboard).

Ok didn't know you have a particular boat in mind because you gave a 35-50' range. Is there a marina willing to haul the boat for survey? Most marinas in the north east are now shutdown and no longer operating their lifts for haul outs. I would be verifying that there is a marina able to do the haul out otherwise you may have to wait until April.

Ok didn't know you have a particular boat in mind because you gave a 35-50' range. Is there a marina willing to haul the boat for survey? Most marinas in the north east are now shutdown and no longer operating their lifts for haul outs. I would be verifying that there is a marina able to do the haul out otherwise you may have to wait until April.

I am told there is.

Try my Good friend Jerry Zingale AMS in Brooklyn. One of the very best in the business.

Gerard V. Zingale - Accredited Marine Surveyor - 2009
M. R. Wolf & Co.
145 Maple Street
Brooklyn, New York 11225-5007
718-693-0100 -O, 718-913-8643 -Cell, 877-350-8931 -Toll Free Fax
vesselsafety@yahoo.com

I understand you have some experience but this may help.
Marine Survey 101

Try my Good friend Jerry Zingale AMS in Brooklyn. One of the very best in the business.

Gerard V. Zingale - Accredited Marine Surveyor - 2009
M. R. Wolf & Co.
145 Maple Street
Brooklyn, New York 11225-5007
718-693-0100 -O, 718-913-8643 -Cell, 877-350-8931 -Toll Free Fax
vesselsafety@yahoo.com

I understand you have some experience but this may help.
Marine Survey 101

Thank you!

Some experience means not all, not ever enough, I appreciate any and all advice. That link is literally on my screen at work about one third read. Great stuff!

Out of curiosity why are you not concerned about engines/genset/etc?

Out of curiosity why are you not concerned about engines/genset/etc?

Because I know a bit about diesel engines and the max cost is easy to know. Full replacement. Doesn't total the boat.

Hull and deck repair vary wildly. I can handle an engine replacement myself, but not a hull.

And not that I'm not concerned at all, just not number one for me.

Last edited:
Because I know a bit about diesel engines and the max cost is easy to know. Full replacement. Doesn't total the boat.

Hull and deck repair vary wildly. I can handle an engine replacement myself, but not a hull.

And not that I'm not concerned at all, just not number one for me.

Its one thing to know and its another to have something that can be used as a negotiation tool...but since you are already looking for a surveyor, I am guessing you have already negotiated a # assuming everything is good with the hull and deck so I'll shut up now :)

Its one thing to know and its another to have something that can be used as a negotiation tool...but since you are already looking for a surveyor, I am guessing you have already negotiated a # assuming everything is good with the hull and deck so I'll shut up now :)

It's all good, survey will be part of negotiation, and I would like survey to include engine, but it's just not my focus. I need help where I know the least and I prefer to help those helping me by giving an idea of what I'm looking for and where I know the least. I know the least about fiberglass and composites.

Thanks!

It's all good, survey will be part of negotiation, and I would like survey to include engine, but it's just not my focus. I need help where I know the least and I prefer to help those helping me by giving an idea of what I'm looking for and where I know the least. I know the least about fiberglass and composites.

Thanks!

Most surveyors have nothing to do with engine, genset, mechanicals. Sure they may note visual appearance and join on a sea trial but you would need a mechanic that specializes in that make/model engine, genset if you want a report that is not topical.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom