Considering Cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdSpiffy

We will be acquiring a full time cruising boat in the 44’ range in the next 9 months.

We think we like the catamaran layout and operation. This was determined from a charter and some Airbnb time.

FL is fine for cats like an Endeavour 44 but how is the rest of the loop and destinations north like Great Lakes?

My main concern are things like emergency haul outs and marina space with a 19’ beam. We will be at marinas at least 4x month so it will be a serious consideration.

Tell me the reality of looping in a big cat.

Thanks
E-

We will be acquiring a full time cruising boat in the 44’ range in the next 9 months.

We think we like the catamaran layout and operation. This was determined from a charter and some Airbnb time.

FL is fine for cats like an Endeavour 44 but how is the rest of the loop and destinations north like Great Lakes?

My main concern are things like emergency haul outs and marina space with a 19’ beam. We will be at marinas at least 4x month so it will be a serious consideration.

Tell me the reality of looping in a big cat.

Thanks
E-

E-

We have seen many cats on our recent loop trip. Yes, a 19ft beam will be a problem in many marinas, but most owners seem to get by. Often you can request a side tie and get accommodated. Locks will not be an issue, even the small ones.

And for a loop trip, 4x a month at marina is VERY LITTLE, as most stay at marinas a LOT more, even the die hard anchor crowd.

You might not want to cut thru Canoe Channel, outside of Perry Sound, but you'll have hundreds of good anchorages. You will have some issues on the "one boat at a time" channels in the Trent. You'll need to make a securite call to be sure you don't meet another boat head on, or someone may be backing out. But doable.

Seems like the folks that have cats love them.

Welcome. A good friend sold their Nordhavn for a 44 Endeavor and they loved it. She never said they had issues with haulouts but did mention the additional slip fees and sometime the avaiablity of a slip because of the beam. The marina she was last in charged 1.5 times the monohull rate.

Welcome. A good friend sold their Nordhavn for a 44 Endeavor and they loved it. She never said they had issues with haulouts but did mention the additional slip fees and sometime the avaiablity of a slip because of the beam. The marina she was last in charged 1.5 times the monohull rate.

We strongly considered an Endeavour 44 about 4 years ago and decided against it when we called a local marina and found that the beam dictated a slip for a 60' boat and they would charge the 60' rate.

What pushed you to consider the Endeavour?

It was very roomy and this particular Endeavour had a walk around king size bed. We felt very comfortable on it. It was just a great turn key boat for livability and the price for this late model boat was very reasonable at the time. It felt more like an apartment than a boat. I also liked having a single helm. Having keel protected props and reasonable draft was also a plus as well as good fuel economy for twin engines.

Why else did you avoid it?

True confession - I felt somewhat intimidated by the almost 20' bow and if I recall, it did not have thrusters. It would have been our first big boat. I also wasn't that keen on having the engines under guest and crew berths. We also wanted to do the loop and perhaps mistakenly, thought the beam would cause too many challenges.

But, to this day, I regret not buying that boat.

Donsan
We are in a similar situation.

First big boat with little experience and worried about that wide beam in narrow waterways.

Your input is valuable. Thanks

Welcome aboard. I wouldn’t be concerned about handling in narrow areas since the engines are so widely spaced it will turn on a dime. A bigger concern would be the haul out and dockage issues. The last lock on the TSW going into Georgian Bay is pretty small. Don’t know what beam it can accommodate but you might call them and ask.

As a transient on the loop, you won't generally be in a slip but on an side tie and the beam won't impact you most of the time.

I've seen Endeavorcat 44s on the western Erie Canal and the Trent Severn. They look like great loop boats.

My boat had no problem at all around the loop at a 17' beam. As B&B said most transient dockage tends to be side tie and I prefer that. The only time the 1.5 surcharge came up was at Liberty Landing( I argued and won, didn't have to pay it). Trent Severn was no problem at all, don't miss it. The lower air draft should be able to do the Western Erie.
I think the Endeavor is a fine choice.

Rafe

Cat Daddy,
That is great to hear.

Have you had to get any haul-outs in areas where cats are not as common?

Any issues?

-E-

Cat Daddy,
That is great to hear.

Have you had to get any haul-outs in areas where cats are not as common?

Any issues?

-E-

I actually saw a CAT hauled out in Sandusky. The owner of the CAT was worried they couldn't do it. Pontoons are big there and they did it on a pontoon trailer.

I think I have hauled in four different locations; FL(2), VA, & TX. Hasn't been a problem so far. I'm sure there are places where a wider lift may not be common, but can apply to all sorts of issues. I wouldn't worry much about it. I think the pros far outweigh the cons for cats, but that's me.

Rafe

-E-,

We are still a few years out with kids in school but i've been doing lots of reading etc about the loop and boats in general. CaptainJohn.org has good info about max size in some lifts and max air draft needed. It'll give you an idea of the specs you need. Hope this helps....

Keith

Thanks Keith

I’ve been lurking enough to know that Capt John’s ideas about boats for the loop would push me into a life of loneliness and child support. Lol

That said I will check it out as a resource.

Hearing from folks that run cats has really helped set our decisions to get one.

We have a 5yr old that we will home school. Checking out those options now.

We are committed to two years of full time cruising. No telling after that.

Good luck.

-E-

-E-,

We are still a few years out with kids in school but i've been doing lots of reading etc about the loop and boats in general. CaptainJohn.org has good info about max size in some lifts and max air draft needed. It'll give you an idea of the specs you need. Hope this helps....

Keith

My wife would not last to long in one of his boats either! She's all for fun and adventure but not camping!

Also, wrt homeschooling, there was a couple about 18 months ago that finished the loop while homeschooling. They are on the Great Loop Cruisers Assoc. We are also starting home school in Jan with my 11th grader. Should be fun!

Keith,
Mrs. WelshKC was the first to mention cruising full time, but that was over 10yrs ago. These days she makes it clear that if it can't run a washing machine then she ain't livin' on it. Period. Interestingly, using the washing machine capability as a measuring stick is a quick way to thin out boat choices. We made a list of "Must haves" and "Nice to haves" for boat shopping. Guess what is at the top of the list. LOL :):)

Don't let your wife see this thread. ;);)

Have you selected a program for the schooling yet?

We are considering Calvert, but have been slightly put off due to the online requirements. Hopefully we are not reading it wrong, but our understanding is that the printed materials are simply support for what is online and that most of the instruction materials are online resources. As you can imagine, we will have sketchy data connections and don't want daily school work to depend on an internet connection.

So the door is still open for another program provider. The other side of the equation is that she will just be ready for kindergarten next year and I'm confident we can cover the necessities for that grade level w/o an official program. The biggest concern is being sure she has a record of education for getting into schools later.

My wife would not last to long in one of his boats either! She's all for fun and adventure but not camping!

Also, wrt homeschooling, there was a couple about 18 months ago that finished the loop while homeschooling. They are on the Great Loop Cruisers Assoc. We are also starting home school in Jan with my 11th grader. Should be fun!

We’ve been using Calvert since April for our 7 year old daughter and have found it to not require much connectivity at all. There are online “checkpoints” for each lesson but we tend to just catch up on those when we have a decent connection as they are just review and not time consuming.

Almost all of the curriculum is in traditional text books.

No, no get a dog instead! .....oh, never mind, I just read a few of the posts :rofl::rofl:

Thanks Keith

I’ve been lurking enough to know that Capt John’s ideas about boats for the loop would push me into a life of loneliness and child support. Lol

That said I will check it out as a resource.

Hearing from folks that run cats has really helped set our decisions to get one.

We have a 5yr old that we will home school. Checking out those options now.

We are committed to two years of full time cruising. No telling after that.

Good luck.

-E-

Captain John's is excellent for certain things like familiarization with the most chosen routes and a basic understanding of the loop. Also maximum air draft and minimum range required.

We totally agree with you on his idea of boats for the loop but his drive has been to do it the cheapest he can and with the least boat, not to make it the most enjoyable it can be.

The boats that can be used are virtually unlimited with the only limiting factors really being water and air draft and range. I've heard so many limits given in size and they're all pretty much bogus. There are additional limitations on the Western Erie and Trent Severn.

We did the loop in a 69'4" LOA and stayed at marinas and had no problem. I have a friend who did it in a 72' Hatteras. There are 80' boats you could do it in, although I wouldn't recommend it. At the same time you could do it in a 20' runabout and I wouldn't recommend that.

Beam of a 63' Lagoon catamaran with a 33' beam would likely be a challenge, but that's not what we're talking about here. The beams of the catamarans being discussed are not that much greater than the larger monohull boats doing the loop.

Attachments

• End 44.jpg
    End 44.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 97
We have a 44’ Endeavour Trawlercat and are loving it! Retiring next year and planning some extended cruising, including the Loop. We opted to go with the extended salon version which means we only have the two back cabins, but much more space in the main salon and larger bathrooms. The shallow draft and protected running gear gives peace of mind.

Attachments

• 2A5BC3FC-07E3-45EB-A7B2-D7DEFC66D58C.jpg
    2A5BC3FC-07E3-45EB-A7B2-D7DEFC66D58C.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
That is a very nice boat. If I had two less houses to my name, I would be going to look at it.

Hopefully something like that is available in the spring when we are ready.

-E-

Considering cats:

Attachments

• buy-a-boat-cat-01-625x450.jpg
    buy-a-boat-cat-01-625x450.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 104

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom