Naming a link

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
I know how to add a link in a post but can't figure out the function to name it rather than show the full URL in the post. Do I have to add the HTML code to the link to do so or is there a function/choice somewhere that I don't see? Can't remember my HTML from long ago...<A> name or something.....

I'm on a laptop. See the Globe with the Link in the bar above the reply box? That automatically enters the html to words you have highlighted.

Don't know how to enter in on a phone except to hand hack the html.

You can turn on "BB Code" at the bottom left-hand side of the screen. If you 'click' on BB code, then you can see the syntax. BB Code is wrapped in [ and ]

I'm going to { and } instead of [ and ] so you can see the syntax in this post.

There is an opening {url} and a close which uses a forward slash {/url}. These need to go at the beginning and end of what you want to highlight, bold, underline, italics, etc.

{ = [
} =]

Link only: {url}http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums{/url}

Link with Name:
{url=http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums}Trawler Forum{/url}

Replace {} with [] and you will be able to see the results.

The basic princial of BB Code uses the same rules as HTML or XML, except, HTML and XML use < and > instead.

Last edited:
Thanks Shrew...used to know some basic code, HTML and XML, but it is long gone! thanks for posting this as it is easily referenced in the future for a reminder.

How I've always done it...and it doesn't require any code:

1. bookmark the site. 2. Right click on the bookmark...that opens its "Properties" in which you can edit the name (or not). Save if you made any changes. Link should now show up as a "hot linked" name when you copy/paste it (right click to copy, left click to paste) into a post or email from your list of bookmarked sites. Trawler Forum Cruisersforum.com 33 CFR 159.7
etc.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom