Pimp my ride (Inflatable)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freespool

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Adventure
Vessel Make
Offshore 62
Hello all,

A few weeks ago I posed a question about installing a VHF radio on my 14' Inflatable. Well it caused quite a stir with many people who were of the opinion that I should simply "remember" to bring a handheld VHF radio and call it a day.

I gathered everyone's advice/opinions and opted to hard mount a Standard Horizon into the dash. I also opted to put in a small Clarion Bluetooth stereo and speakers. I redid all op the switches with a new Blue Seas switch panel and added small (red) LED courtesy lights.

When I was working on the battery, I noticed the plywood floor boards under the console were cracked and ready to fail. I went to home depot and purchased some 1/2" plywood and covered it with resin to seal it. I screwed them into place under the console.

Lastly, I removed the steering wheel and gauges and remade the cover plate out of black starboard to modernize the look. The steering wheel needed to be cut off and I had to replace the steering assembly. No big deal because the steering was very rough. I replaced the steering mechanism and purchased a new 13.5" wheel. It steers really well now. I still need to find the right size acorn nut for the steering wheel to make it look nice.

All in all I spent about 3 full days and roughly $1,000 to pimp my ride.

The inflatable came with the boat when we purchased it back in May. The motor hadn't been started in many years and it needed to have the tubes replaced ($5K).

I wish I had taken photos of the work in progress, but I just didn't think of it. Here is a shot of the finished product.

Attachments

• Inflatable console.jpg
    Inflatable console.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
I was hoping you had before and after pics, but that’s harder to remember to do when you are buried in the job. Sounds like a project well worth doing. I’m a believer in the hard-mounted VHF and am about to upgrade the one in our tender. Let’s see if I can remember to take pics.

Looks great. I used black starboard for my dash repairs also.

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I posed a question about installing a VHF radio on my 14' Inflatable. Well it caused quite a stir with many people who were of the opinion that I should simply "remember" to bring a handheld VHF radio and call it a day.

I gathered everyone's advice/opinions and opted to hard mount a Standard Horizon into the dash. I also opted to put in a small Clarion Bluetooth stereo and speakers. I redid all op the switches with a new Blue Seas switch panel and added small (red) LED courtesy lights.

Very nice. What did you end up doing about an antenna for the new VHF?

For the antenna I used a small 36" Shakespeare stainless antenna that has an accompanying plastic ratcheting holder. You can barely see it on the left (port) side of the console. I tried everywhere to find a good place to mount it. That was the least obtrusive spot. It's not great, but it meets my needs.

:dance:I really think a windlass, bimini and chartplotter is a necessity.:dance:

If my wife and an umbrella are with me then I have the windlass and bimini covered. :)

....but it meets my needs.

This is the part I always forget when doing my fixes and additions/subtractions. I guess as I build a little confidence I will learn the lesson here - I'm the only one who I have to please (don't tell my wife that) and what works for others may not be the best solution for me. I have found that sometimes my solution is seen as crazy to others but for me seems perfect.

The trickle charger is a good idea. I did purchase a clip on battery charger for the inflatable. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere (I am taking the boat from Fort Lauderdale to Panama) and have the battery on the inflatable go bad.

I have always like a depth sounder in the dink. Nice to have when poking into coves with limited water visibility, dink leads the big boat in and can radio back the depth. But then I tend to go places where no man has tread.

Sorry that I'm too lazy to go through your other thread, but what brand/model is the dinghy, where did you get the new tubes, and did you install the tubes or have it done?

You made the right decision on the radio. Twenty five watts is a lot more effective than a 5 watt handheld should you ever need it for something serious.

4000-albums788-picture4847.jpg
Looks good! I have just completed a renovation of my long neglected Rendova 14' which spent the last 4 years under a tarp. Included in the renovation was a new eTec 50HP outboard as well as a built in trickle charger and the remote ICOM 440BB VHF since I did not have room for the transceiver on the pedestal. I smartened up the face panel with a sheet of colored perspex and found a better solution to the all round white light, which was previously the plug in staff kind which I hated due to water intrusion and is now hinged and folds up when required. I would attach a couple of pix but I seem to only be able to upload them upside down which is irritating.

Last edited:
When y'all say "trickly charger", what exactly type of charger are you using? I need to do this! I just put a new battery in my new(to me) big dinghy and I can tell when it sits that it struggles a bit.

When y'all say "trickly charger", what exactly type of charger are you using? I need to do this! I just put a new battery in my new(to me) big dinghy and I can tell when it sits that it struggles a bit.

On our last RIB we used something like this …
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00F5EBR1C/hwtrackb1219-20
It was hard wired to the battery(s) in the rear compartment and had another 120 Vlt power outlet conveniently located on an outer surface so that we could easily plug it in.
There are many versions to suit your exact needs , all similar in size and design.

On our last RIB we used something like this …
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00F5EBR1C/hwtrackb1219-20
It was hard wired to the battery(s) in the rear compartment and had another 120 Vlt power outlet conveniently located on an outer surface so that we could easily plug it in.
There are many versions to suit your exact needs , all similar in size and design.

Ok thanks! So that is a proper marine 3 stage charger. When I think "trickle charger" I think some crap at Walmart.

The VHF choice is a good one. Now you have a backup if your big boat VHFs take a dump. Do what makes you happy. P*ss on the naysayers.

Think the "necker knob" a classy touch, which begs suggesting you consider the addition of "dock feelers", both port and starboard, and deflating as need be to ride lower in the water.

Ok thanks! So that is a proper marine 3 stage charger. When I think "trickle charger" I think some crap at Walmart.

Yes - for what I thought was a very reasonable price it was programmable for your intended use and type(s) of batteries, had temperature compensation and was very easy to use after installation.

I am really pleased with the Clarion stereo. It has Bluetooth which allows me to synch my phone to the stereo and play my music list. Today I am going to build a couple of iPhone holders out of starboard that I can mount on my console. My phone gets tossed around when i lay it on the seat. I am looking to avoid the inevitable....

We will spend hours many days in our RIB and venture far from the main boat. Therefore, might look at it differently. The manufacturer offers a huge range of accessories, some of which we didn't understand the need. A few items we did add though:

-Second battery
-LED deck lights-we have one at the base of each seat
-Battery charger and electric inflator (inflator can be built in but ours isn't)
-Anchor (no windlass, but amazing how many we see with no anchors. Even if we pull ashore we set it out on the beach just in case)
-Bimini (we're very conscious of the sun and it's risk and spend hours at a time so consider it a necessity
-Spray Dodger (ok, we thought it was silly, but in the cold waters of the PNW and Alaska sure found it nice to block the spray)
-Chartplotter, depth sounder and VHF
-Lifting strops and over straps and tie downs

BandB,

I look at the inflatable in the same way as do you. It's not just a taxi to and from the boat. I see your address is Fort Lauderdale. We live in California and will be taking the boat from Lauderdale to Ca via the Panama Canal. I will run the boat down beginning March 1st. We plan to spend a significant amount of time cruising the islands and plenty of hiking trips to the beaches and certainly fishing from the inflatable.

This is more than just a taxi for us. It's a major tool in our plans. Since we will be spending a great deal of time in it away from the "big" boat I want to make sure it's comfortable AND safe.

In addition to the items discussed in a previous thread, I also have an anchor, flare kit, bimini top, fishing rod holders foldable dive ladder and of course paddles.

Last edited:
If you have a larger RIB some additional thoughts to the above:
- larger searchlight
- towing/skiing attachment points
- boarding lights
- a method for folks to board both by land and water
- ability to tilt engine for real skinny water
- towing attachment points for being towed
- we had excess fuel so we had a fueling station for jet skiis

Anything you may need to go exploring and use the RIB to its fullest extent.

Here is today's project. I needed a holder for my iPhone that I could mount on the console. This little doodad allows me to have my iPhone at arm's reach and not worry about it getting launched. I also made one for the front so my wife can safely store her iPhone too.

I give up I can't rotate the photo.

Attachments

• Iphone holder.jpg
    Iphone holder.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom