Liveaboard retention rate and duration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: For illustrative purposes I'm going to compare living aboard on a 45' Grand Banks to living on land in a nice house or condo.

Boat advantages:
-Water. Water. Water.
-Location. Can go Anywhere. Mobility.
-Unburdened from land and all that's on it.

Land advantages:
-Amenities. All the conveniences of home. Oh you may try to copy on boat but you just can't have them all. From simple to major. Don't have trash pickup. Don't have cable tv and internet. Don't have unlimited water and sewage. Can't just step out the door and go for a walk or drive. Your friends and family can't just come over or you go visit them.
-Maintenance. Boats require more. Even the best of them.
-Doesn't depreciate in value like a boat.
-Others understand. Most don't understand living on boat. Half think it's stupid and horrible. The other half things it's total bliss and always easy and perfect.
-Accommodating of age and disability and illness. Easy to get medical attention and easy to get in and out and around. Safer.

If you're looking to compare in lists like I did above, or compare financially, or just looking at tangible benefits, it's hard to ever say living on a boat makes sense. But if using your senses, it does. It's what you see, what you hear, what you feel, what you smell. It's what makes you smile and laugh. It's almost orgasmic, the feeling it gives you. If I have to explain the joy of the water to you, then you'll never understand, because I can't. I just know it. I feel it just as much as the first time I was on the water. Just as much as the first time I went out on Lake Norman in my fiancee's boat with him. It was magical. I knew what he'd tried to describe but I'd not understood until then. I loved it. I didn't want night to come and us have to go in. Life is just different on the water. The world is different.

Maybe test with the "missing" factor. My hubby calls something like it his "theory of pain." How long can you be on the water before you miss your land home? How long can you be at home on land or otherwise on land before you miss the water. A few take sail and live on their boats and never miss having a land home again. Others can be content on land and don't miss not being on the water. Most of us here miss both after time. We're gone 6-8 weeks and we miss our extended family at home. 3-4 weeks at home and we sure miss the water though. So, we boat about 2/3 of the year. We have friends who miss either one in 30 days so boat half the time.

A warning too is don't push yourself or force yourself beyond your own personal missing time. If you do, you might develop more than missing, but a strong dislike. I've seen couples decide to be on a boat except at the holidays visit their kids and grandkids. Well, once a year wasn't enough and more and more, one or both, missed them terribly. One said they needed to visit them more often and have a condo or something near them, but the other said, we can do this, stick to the plan. Well, instead of a compromised plan, finally one had enough and said, "I'm done. I'm moving back on land." They'll never know if three trips home a year or four would have done it for them. They were too stubborn to listen to themselves and their longings. It's like getting a small cut and not treating it. After a while it gets painful, but you say you can endure the pain. When you finally get around to seeing a doctor or going to an ER, it's too late. Respond to what you feel, don't try to ignore it. Find what is right for you, not someone else's right.:D

I would mention after almost 23 years of living aboard mostly in the NYC area there is far more contact with the elements.

There is something grand being onboard in a big winter storm , the snow is blowing sideways down the river , but your cocoon is warm & dry as the world turns white.

Hard to beat!

Anyone have any data on how many people that choose to live aboard, actually stick with it for more than a a couple of years? Also, anyone know what the typical duration is for living aboard (I realize it's almost the same question...)?

I'm trying to make realistic plans for my hard to replace possessions for when we take the plunge... I have no intention of selling my tools or heirlooms, but not sure about other stuff. I hate the thought of having to buy a bunch of stuff all over again if this does not work out.

I have nothing to add as far as real stats. I've never lived aboard a boat myself. I have traveled a good bit and lived out of duffle bags.

Here's what I have noticed and learned about people that have made it past the five year mark as full timers. They are able to adapt to changing situations quickly. They view problems as more of an inconvenience rather than a drama filled crisis. They're very tolerant and evenly tempered when it comes to all those little annoying things that come at a person through out the day. I found a lot of them are like me. They're used to living in smaller quarters such as efficiency apartments or mobiles homes. I lived in both. Still do. They're frugal and live life with the mindset that less is more.

If you're not sure if you want to full time, or maybe a seasonal boater, try full time for one year. Get rid of all the stuff that you don't need to set up house again, store the home goods, and rent your home. From there, you'll know what future plans to make.

Interesting comment, because much the same thing happens with people who move to Florida. They come down in February or March, fall in love, and move down here. Then comes August and September. They hate the heat, the humidity, the bugs, and they move away again.

I read some time back that almost 2/3rds of the people who move to Florida move away again within less than two years. Of course, that doesn't stop thousands more from moving in every year. Our population keeps growing, but the rate of turnover -- most especially within the first year -- is extraordinarily high.

I guess it doesn't surprise me that it would be very similar with liveaboards.

denverd0n,

Yea, we need to convince more folks to leave and less to come down. We have WAY too many, especially in the winter.

Need a few more hurricanes, red tide and 95d days with no see ums, and no wind ........

I'm staying.....

This discussion been interesting as I am excited about probably buying a Californian 42/45 in the next week or so to use as a live aboard. I just retired today. . . .It’s so expensive to get a home anywhere in the Bay Area, that I hit on getting a live aboard. I found one and it’s outfitted so I won’t have to buy much stuff, which I didn’t want to do. . . . I’m meeting the current owner of the boat this weekend to see the boat for the first time, and it just feels like things are falling into place in a great way. Today will be a very memorable first day of my retirement! Wish me luck!

Good luck, indeed! I've retired a few times myself, & it is always invigorating, especially with a boat in the offing. A little advice: 1) Make certain the liveaboard slip is assumable with purchase; 2) Negotiate your purchase as if you were not a motivated buyer; 3) Your purchase agreement should be dependent on a "satisfactory marine & engine survey," as well as a "satisfactory sea trial;" 4) The results of the surveys/sea trial will be the basis of additional negotiation so that your final purchase price may not be even close to your offering price; (5) Be psychologically & financially prepared to walk away if your surveys & final price are not satisfactory. Know that there are LOTS of boats available in your area. I know, because I bought one.

Best wishes, & keep us updated on this next exciting time in your life--

We decided to do a six month experiment living aboard. We left our 4,000 square foot home in CT and squeezed aboard our boat at the time---a 36' Grand Banks. In August of 2011 we headed south to Florida. We quickly discovered our boat was too small for me, wife, and 3 dogs.

When we arrived in FL we bought a 46' Grand Banks. Our 6-month experiment is now entering year 8 and we have no intention of moving back on land until age or health forces that. We do take our boat north most summers and back to FL in the fall. The house is rented and we live aboard full time.

live aboard

I was a live aboard for a few years in the Caribbean (2007-2010). I would suggest finding a place to store ALL your stuff that wont come aboard and then do it to find out if is for you. I moved back to the mainland after 3 years, but that had little to with the "live aboard" life style. also can tell you that being at a dock is much easier than being on mooring. make sure that the boat is equipped with the necessary gear for comfortable living. mine was adequate for life support, but not much on comfort. that was OK in my late 40's, but now 61 I wouldn't live like that again. hence the reason I am in the market for a trawler, I will be retiring and going aboard again, but this time,,,,,in comfort. best of luck. it is a great lifestyle, but can be less so if you aren't properly prepared. if you will be cruising the boat will have another set of needs. ask around plenty.

I would mention after almost 23 years of living aboard mostly in the NYC area there is far more contact with the elements.

There is something grand being onboard in a big winter storm , the snow is blowing sideways down the river , but your cocoon is warm & dry as the world turns white.

Hard to beat!

Well said FF. I agree. I've been full-time since last fall and am also in an urban marina (Boston). Last winter was an experience! Looking forward to another one. Bring it on.

Almost any house you sold in 1994 will be cost significantly more now. Same thing goes for cars and pretty much anything else. Compare the list price of cars in '94 to what they are now.

Agreed. After taking money and putting it into investments (multifamily real estate) I had $110k left over. I knew that with that money, I could buy a decent boat for about $75k, pay the 10% Washington State transfer tax, local taxes, fees etc and move aboard with a cushion. Having moved my real estate businesses "aboard" I am happily a floating hermit aboard 47 foot "Serenity".

The point is, many things appreciate and should be purchased to bring in equity whether Gold, Guns, Investments, Investment Real Estate, Stamps, etc. If a dream is to live aboard, do it! Turn your house into a boat AND an investment portfolio.

One note. A long distance boat with big tanks, washer/Drier, big generator, etc gets slower and more expensive with more maintenance, the more you try to turn it into an floating apartment. Decide what you want from both your dockside and cruising lifestyle before you buy or refurbish.

Last edited:
Another View

Great reply by Okiediver, he covered most real-time situations. For what it is worth we lived aboard “part time” for about five years and it was the best time of our lives. I say part time because it was basically Monday-Friday then home (100 miles away) for the weekend. Life was good. If the weather was poor my wife would just stay home and I would commute to work. 15 years later and on our forth trawler I still enjoy the water but my wife has had enough “living aboard” and prefers weekends only. Bottom line is everyone is different and while some can handle the full time live aboard life style its not for everyone. We were fortunate to do it our way and enjoy the best of both worlds. You mentioned a possibly ski resort home, having a fall back place on land sounds like a good idea to me. Good luck.

John T.

fantastic Marine Survey resources

Until you can find Pascoe's book.
Marine Survey 101

While reading this thread I came across your Marine Survey 101 link. I've been glued to it and all the links within for several hours. I need to sleep, otherwise I'd still be reading. What a great resource. SO many questions I've had were answered within. I've bookmarked/favorited them all. Thanks for posting boatpoker! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom