Diesel Outboard, Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
16:1 compression is fine for a turbodiesel. My Cummins 450 is 15.3:1. But CR does tend to go down as engines get bigger. Less heat loss per volume as cyl gets bigger. And who has to start an outboard at zero F??

A bit surprised that crank power is 338 and prop power is 300. That's a lot of loss for a gearcase and water pump, but I guess alternator and other stuff explains the difference.

Back in the 1970's the Deutz engines I worked on were 18:1 compression and 20:1 with turbos.

266 Cu. In. Diesel V8 with 480 lb. ft. of torque and 826 lbs. weight sounds stout enough. At 1.25 HP per cube it sure isn’t my Father’s diesel. Bet it’s big bucks, but could a de-rated version burn clean enough for us trawler people. I could see this on a new Tug. Compare to a Verado 300 HP 279 cu. in. V8 at 640 lbs. with built in power steering. I couldn’t find a torque graph for it but it probably max’s around 300 lb. ft..

Last edited:
I still think this would be the best get home engine.

I have never seen a diesel OB. Currently Looking at engines for the Ding. Will likely go with gas due to weight, parts availability, etc.

Is the Yanmar sold in the U.S.?

Any other smaller outboard diesels for sale in the US?

I have never seen a diesel OB. Currently Looking at engines for the Ding. Will likely go with gas due to weight, parts availability, etc.

Is the Yanmar sold in the U.S.?

Any other smaller outboard diesels for sale in the US?

Far as I know, the Yanmar 27 and 36 diesel outboards never passed US emissions. I found a couple of used units in the last five years in the Islands, but I never came up with a plan for the heavy-duty mounting bracket. Both engines are heavy and vibrate quite a bit according to the owners.

266 Cu. In. Diesel V8 with 480 lb. ft. of torque and 826 lbs. weight sounds stout enough. At 1.25 HP per cube it sure isn’t my Father’s diesel. Bet it’s big bucks, but could a de-rated version burn clean enough for us trawler people. I could see this on a new Tug. Compare to a Verado 300 HP 279 cu. in. V8 at 640 lbs. with built in power steering. I couldn’t find a torque graph for it but it probably max’s around 300 lb. ft..

Here you go, see p4. A lot more torque than you guessed!

Attachments

• CXO300- Diesel outboard.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 82
I wonder how noisy it is. One thing to have your diesel buried in the bottom of your boat under some sort of sound proofing, another to have it sitting out in free air.

Far as I know, the Yanmar 27 and 36 diesel outboards never passed US emissions. I found a couple of used units in the last five years in the Islands, but I never came up with a plan for the heavy-duty mounting bracket. Both engines are heavy and vibrate quite a bit according to the owners.

Back maybe 15 (or more) years ago the pump out boats at Block Island had those diesel outboards on them.

Their target market is obviously go fast boats and big center consoles. We’re already seeing some Trawler / Cruisers being designed for Outboards. I think this will encourage a lot more of them to be built.

I was thinking how Possum would have been different if she was designed for outboard power.

First there wouldn’t be an engine box in the middle of the pilot house. This was necessary because I couldn’t have both a Cummins 6B and 6’2” headroom.

With the Cummins gone there would have been room for a generator, more tankage and lots of storage below the deck. No strut bearing, rudder or shaft packing glands to maintain.

The big drawback would be the loss of my nice big dive platform. If I wanted a dinghy I’d have to tow it, instead of putting it on the platform.

I hope they have figured out how to control the corrosion. Salt water in aluminum engine blocks gives you about 10-15yrs of useful life on an outboard. Very few wear out, they rot.

Nice thing about a normal inboard diesel is the coolant contacts nothing but cast iron and sea water contacts nothing but copper alloy. Can last many decades.

Not an issue for the megayacht tender crowd, they would replace them every few years anyway. Us mortals would like them to last...

I think that heat exchanger is an aftercooler for charge air, but could be wrong. I think (??) saltwater still runs around in the block.

Yeah, detailed info and operational video are quite lacking.

Using 2 of these on the Great Harbour TT35 would add almost 1100 lbs to the boat :eek::eek::eek:

It's on my list when I am in Taiwan, maybe 5 or 6 years.
I'll get a used one, since I don't plan on every using it!

Using 2 of these on the Great Harbour TT35 would add almost 1100 lbs to the boat :eek::eek::eek:

The TT35 only has 2 x 60 hp. You would lose some maneuverability, but you'd only need 1 of these....( half of one, really )

You could add a hollow stern extension to compensate for the weight. That might not be the right term...but a swim platform that a foot thick and hollow that provides flotation on either side of the motor.

Larry,
That torque wouldn’t do you much good w/o a trawler sized propeller.

Larry,
That torque wouldn’t do you much good w/o a trawler sized propeller.

Very good point, and I’d hope they wouldn’t premiere such a motor without considering that. I wonder what the largest diameter wheel would be, and will they limit the prop size to protect the gearing. Will it be “usable” power.

OXE - DIESEL OUTBOARD

Hi,

Here is a Swedish OXE diesel outboard engine 2L turbo charged inter coler . 200Hp, 415Nm /2500 weight 350kg

Basic engines come GM group and marinized with a closed circuit coolant system inspired by modern inboard technology.

"Optimized for reducing life cycle cost for commercial usage. It complies with the NATO ”single-fuel” directive and is built to be the solution for governmental, rescue, military and commercial applications."

I think one really good in this machine is a standard 130A 12V alternator.

NBs

Last edited:
The DARPA program to have an multi fuel engine seems to be making progress.

The research company involved is called Liquid Piston , and seems to have a couple of proof prototypes running.

One pound of engine per HP seems doable , so a 100HP diesel at perhaps 125 lbs may be in the cards , in a few years.

This style diesel gets more efficient at lower throttle settings , great for a displacement boat.

Press Releases | LiquidPiston

liquidpiston.com/news/press-releases/
8.7.2018. LiquidPiston Presents Small Compression-Ignited Rotary Engine at the Ground Vehicle Systems Engineering and Technology Symposium (GVSETS) ...

[PDF]LiquidPiston-X-Specifications - 2018-05-14

liquidpiston.com/wp-content/.../2018/.../LiquidPiston-X-Specifications-2018-05-14-3....

Liquid Piston develops advanced rotary engines based on the company's ... Up to 80% smaller and lighter than compression-ignition (CI) piston diesel engines.

Videos

7:49

Airborne-
Unmanned
06.26.18: MQ-9B v
Lightning!,
LiquidPiston ...

Aero-News Network

YouTube - Jun 26, 2018

2:14

DARPA
LiquidPiston mini X
engine having the
size of a
smartphone ...

DigiTube

YouTube - Feb 17, 2018

0:39

Simulating
LiquidPiston's X-
Engine with
CONVERGE

convergecfd

YouTube - Apr 19, 2018

2:43

DARPA Awards
LiquidPiston $2.5M
(4K)

VICTOR PILEGGI

Vimeo - Jul 4, 2018

0:48

LiquidPiston XMini
in a Gokart 4 hp - 4
lbs!

Paul Sikkema

YouTube - Jun 14, 2016

2:27

LiquidPiston X Mini
70cc SI engine
animation

LiquidPiston

Vimeo - Apr 20, 2016

22:30

The Next
Generation UAV
Engines: Alex
Shkolnik, Liquid
Piston

Drone Radio Show

YouTube - May 8, 2018

22:14

Liquid Piston
Technology - A
Breakthrough in
Engine Efficiency,
with ...

Dustin Nemos2

YouTube - Aug 16, 2018

3:16

Radical new
engine makes a
run at reality -
Video

CNet - Jan 30, 2018

2:44

LiquidPiston X
Engine

LiquidPiston

Vimeo - Apr 26, 2013

Web results

LiquidPiston

liquidpiston.com/

LiquidPiston: Compact, Quiet, High-efficiency, Multi-fuel Engines. ... Our Philosophy - Think Outside the Cylinder By rethinking the engine ... 2018 LiquidPiston.

How It Works | LiquidPiston

liquidpiston.com/technology/how-it-works/

How It Works. LiquidPiston's X Engine is a non-Wankel rotary embodiment of the company's innovative High Efficiency Hybrid Cycle (HEHC). The X Engine has ...

Media Coverage | LiquidPiston

liquidpiston.com/news/media-coverage/

9.01.2018. Unmanned Systems Technology Magazine, Dossier on ... 8.7.2018. LiquidPiston presents small compression ignited rotary engine at GVSETS ...

USA: LiquidPiston presents small compression ignited rotary engine at ...

https://www.armyrecognition.com/...2018.../usa_liquidpiston_presents_small_compres...

Aug 7, 2018 - USA: LiquidPiston presents small compression ignited rotary engine at GVSETS. August 2018 Global Defense Security army news industry ...

Liquid Piston gets more DARPA funding for 30KW engine 30 times ...

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/.../liquid-piston-gets-more-darpa-funding-for-30...

brian wang | July 3, 2018 |. DARPA has awarded LiquidPiston an additional $2.5 million to continue development of its 30kW X4 rotary diesel engine prototype, ...

Images for liquid piston 2018

https://www.google.com/search?q=liq...=2ahUKEwio85q728TeAhUNz1MKHU4_AjEQ7Al6BAgBEA0

More images for liquid piston 2018Report images

Searches related to liquid piston 2018

liquid piston efficiency
liquid piston stock
liquid piston engine for sale
liquid piston engine running

liquid piston vs wankel
liquid piston news
liquid piston x2 diesel engine
liquid piston investment

Page Navigation

12345678910Next

Footer Links

Moore Haven, Florida - From your Internet address - Use precise location - Learn more

Last edited:
The Yanmar 50hp diesel outboard, coming to the US Real Soon Now, is supposed to weigh 386# compared to 226# for the Suzuki 60 that Mirage currently hangs on the back of the TT35. I hope Ken Fickett is thinking about this -- the gas fuel tank is the only worrisome part of the TT35 design.

... the gas fuel tank is the only worrisome part of the TT35 design.

Why is that?

Plenty of boats have gas fuel tanks in greater capacity than the TT35.
What is the difference between the fuel tank installation on the TT35 vs. most other boats?

Not your standard diesel. It uses diesel fuel, but also a spark plug for assist and starting. Also it's very commercial, unless you have $50,000 just burning a hole in your pocket.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom