Engine Access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
Looked at a 1979 42 LRC in San Diego this weekend. Pretty good shape needed a little TLC. My question is regarding engine access. Is the only access to the engines thru the small door way under the stairs or does the floor in the main salon have hatches or panels that remove to expose the engines. This boat had new hardwood floors and according to the broker the floors are solid with no access. I find this odd. Anyone with a 42 or 38 please chime in.
Thanks
Jim

I'm guessing a Hatteras 42LRC and if so there is excellent access through the salon hatches.

I suggest you go into the engine room ( assuming the engine room is under the salon) and lookup at the ceiling. If is has hatches you should be able to see them. Could be the new floors were laid over the top, rendering them useless, unless the floor is torn back up.

Its in the Californian Thread and I identified it as a 1979 LRC. Did you get lost?

Any CALIFORNIAN LRC trawler owners with a 42 or 38 1974 thru 1985 to answer the original information request.
Thank you
Jim
Looked at a 1979 42 LRC in San Diego this weekend. Pretty good shape needed a little TLC. My question is regarding engine access. Is the only access to the engines thru the small door way under the stairs or does the floor in the main salon have hatches or panels that remove to expose the engines. This boat had new hardwood floors and according to the broker the floors are solid with no access. I find this odd. Anyone with a 42 or 38 please chime in.
Thanks
Jim

Engine room access

On my 42 LRC Californian, there is one large hatch and two smaller hatches. Opens up to maybe 4x6 ish.

When we purchased our 42 LRC it had the access under the stairs and one approximately 24"x24" floor hatch that opened against the settee...not very functional as you had to hold it open going in or out. A second,larger intended hatch was pinned under the peninsula of our u-galley. As part of replacing the carpet I made both hatches tilt up and lift out. It's nice to have entrance options and the additional natural light when desired.

Hatch Pic

Here is a pic of the hatches. The larger hatch drops you between the engines and the smaller hatch drops you between the port engine and gen. I remember repositioning the support between the two aft a bit to make the smaller hatch larger.

Attachments

• Saloon Carpet[1].jpg
    Saloon Carpet[1].jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 721
Crawling into an engine space doesn't appeal to me. Prefer dropping down through hatches with access port, starboard, and above. If I had a grander boat, I'd prefer a 6+foot door and ceiling headroom in the engine room. Don't feel short-changed, since drop-down access gives me at least four feet of clearance above the head, with engine compartment below the pilothouse.

Last edited:
I’m w caltec
“LRC” on a forum where most all of us don’t have Californians just dosn’t cut it. Or one could think it was a DeFever.
One should identify what you’re talking about if you intend to be successful at communicating.
As I’ve said before that applies (even more-so) for thread titles. “Wow did you see this?” doesn’t cut it either.

Mark,
Engines are just engines and only mechanics “lower themselves” into such undesirable places. Most of the people topside will appreciate fine accommodations though even away from the club.

What engines are in it, and how much clearance between bottom of deck and top of engines?

Can you get outboard of the engines?

If there is good room in there, even heavy maintenance and repairs can be done completely in the hole with no overhead holes needed.

Still hate it when the "interior decorators" forget that this is a BOAT with ENGINES down there and if you bury them under foo-foo, it is a problem.

I’m w caltec
“LRC” on a forum where most all of us don’t have Californians just dosn’t cut it. Or one could think it was a DeFever.
One should identify what you’re talking about if you intend to be successful at communicating.
As I’ve said before that applies (even more-so) for thread titles. “Wow did you see this?” doesn’t cut it either.

If you are inquiring on the "Californian" thread of this forum and not the "General" thread then its obvious that you are targeting the owners of Californian trawlers not a DeFever. If you are responding to a post then you should know where you are at before you comment...Over..

Mark,
Engines are just engines and only mechanics “lower themselves” into such undesirable places. Most of the people topside will appreciate fine accommodations though even away from the club.

I do all my own maintenance and most of my engine work.

jclays,
But one must consider where the information will go, or post in this case. And it goes to Trawler Discussions. For all to see.

dhays,
Indeed most probably do. If you don’t edit you read all the drivel. I post a lot here but don’t click on half the threads. And if information is lacking in a thread title I pass.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the hatches. The larger hatch drops you between the engines and the smaller hatch drops you between the port engine and gen. I remember repositioning the support between the two aft a bit to make the smaller hatch larger.

The one I saw in San Diego had a small access door under the stairs in the lower forward cabin. Is there one under the stairs in the lower aft cabin>
Thanks

In order to see the thread designation one has to deliberately scan to the very top of the page, which action hides the recent threads list at "Trawler Discussions". Very rarely would I get that top of page identifier visible, as passing through "trawler Discussions" would only happen accidentally.
Not being a Californian owner, I had no idea the 42 is called LRC, so was surprised when it was so identified by the OP.
This will not change how I find threads to read, as I will continue to mine the TD section.

"If you are inquiring on the "Californian" thread of this forum and not the "General" thread then its obvious that you are targeting the owners of Californian trawlers not a DeFever. If you are responding to a post then you should know where you are at before you comment...Over.."

I made the same mistake as others. The thread listing under "Trawler Discussions" says "Engine Access". Nothing about Californians.

You also mentioned; "I do all my own maintenance and most of my engine work."
You might enjoy a look at a well kept DeFever 44 or 49 CMY if you can find one. (Full disclosure- I own one and am spoiled by the engine room) For a twin engine boat of that size and price range, the engine, gen set(s) and other mechanicals access is tough to beat.

Last edited:
The one I saw in San Diego had a small access door under the stairs in the lower forward cabin. Is there one under the stairs in the lower aft cabin>
Thanks

Jc, there is no ER access from the aft cabin. I believe that both an attempted entrance under the aft stairs or through the aft closet are both off center of where you'd want to be. The stairs would force you enter right next to the port exhaust riser on the port engine and the closet/shower wall would force you to enter right next to the stb exhaust riser on the port engine. (based on 3208s) Plus, the battery boxes crowd the available vertical space at that point as well and the battery switches would have to be relocated.

I wonder if you couldn't locate the corner of the covered hatches with a drill from the bottom and use a multi-master type of tool to free them up - followed by framing/trimming with taco hatch molding?

Last edited:
Mark,

My engine mechanic loves my engine and presumably its access. I find the battery boxes on either side of the engine convenient spots to sit while twisting fuel valves (have four fuel tanks) and changing filters, and so on.

The standard hatch configuration for a 79 Californian 42 LRC is two lift out hatches side by side over the engines and another hatch forward over the Generator.

The only other access is the door under the stairs in the forward cabin.

If the hatches are covered over with new flooring it's likely not an issue for routine maintenance.

Here's a view with the engine hatches open. The generator hatch is along the port side and is closed.

Attachments

• IMG_0442 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0442 (Large).JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom