anchor washdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molly

Vessel Name
La Bella Vita
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34T
FINALLY! The boats back in. SW Florida has some great weather coming up. We have our first trip planned and we will be anchoring out several nights. My boat does not have a wash down, for whatever reason. The ground tackle is fine, but it gets muddy and smelly coming up. The old rope and bucket routine just plain sucks. I thought about adding a wash down pump, done it before. But the typical problems, crawling around and bending into a pretzel shape and all that nonsense, I thought about a "portable" system. Get a good wash down pump. Screw it to a piece of star board and put a couple of stainless steel hooks on it to hang on the bow rail. Drop a pick up hose into the water, hook up the power and there you go. The water would have to lift about 8 feet. What type of pump will do that dry? What should I be looking for?

Great idea Molly!

In the PNW I’ve experienced fairly low levels of mud events. Everytime I get mudded I have thoughts of looking into washdown equipment but then forget about it until the next time.

I thought you guys (or girls) had nice clean white sand in the southern seas.

Last edited:
I was thinking of calling it "The Buddy Pump" and marketing it. As long as it works, that is.

If you have an inverter or a generator, I would pick a submersible trash pump. Hang it on a rope and have at it. When you're done, have a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water on deck, let it soak for a few minutes and then pump the water out of the bucket.

Ted

How much push does a trash pump have. I have a small pump for my pool cover and the water just trickles out. What type of pump?

Who says you have to lift it clear of the water? Why not have a submersible pump, and a two part clamshell that clips on the anchor chain and floats on the water surface. It would pump more water for less current if you didn't have to put 8' vertical head into the equation, plus it wouldn't spatter the mud on your hull. Just clip it on your anchor chain when you're planning to retrieve the anchor and lower it to the waterline. When the anchor breaks the surface, the pump would hang on the shank until you open the clamshell and remove it.

I guess de-mudding the anchor is something you'd do manually.

If you want to get water from the sea water level up on deck to washdown, you are always better having the pump at water level rather than on deck. All pumps and particularly centrifugal pumps operate better with short (and large diameter) suction lines.

So I like the idea of lowering a pump (and the one from Hodges should work fine) on a piece of starboard with a full diameter suction that turns down through a hole in the starboard into the water a foot or so. Use at least 3/4" hose on the discharge, not that hosecoil stuff.

This setup will have similar performance as a pump installed in the bilge. Use large electrical cable, 10 gauge because it will probably be a long way from the electrical source.

David

While the reduction of pump head is a good idea, I'm guessing the deck on a 34 Mainship is only a foot or so above the water. Stick the suction hose out a scupper and keep the pump out of the water. All you need is a wake from another boat to dip the hanging pump.

Ted

I just picture having to pick up all that portable riggamarole up along with the anchor and rode and then getting back on the wheel and throttles to get outta the anchorage. Not much of a problem if you have crew but single handing could be a fun time.

Kevin

Just purchased a dirt house basement sump pump.
About $150 at the home cheapo store.

It does Huge volume and good pressure.

This is a 12amp pump, 12x120v is 1440 watts of power.

A 12v pump at 15a is 180watts ,

so the difference between a DC bilge pump or deck wash down is AMAZING!!

Would do well bailing a water filled dink , rapidly.

Should do a great job of mud washing.

I had a similar idea and am planning a Sureflo Pro Blaster II. I am mounting it in the cockpit and hard wiring it to the power source. I need about 4 feet of lift and these pumps are self priming to 6'. I will use a temporary hose with quick connect for a pick-up and conventional hose for discharge.

As an aside, I'm thinking about rigging a method to quick connect to the fresh water tank through some type of diverter. It might be nice to 1) quickly empty the fresh water tank for winter or when the water is getting old, and 2) have the ability to use my pump as a FW washdown.

In short, I have a similar plan as you, but am hard mounting and wiring the pump.

You may all want to laugh but I got one of these hose out my small fishing skiff, it works great (within its limits). Drop the pick up hose in the water and pull the trigger, works as promised. Also great for cleaning the bilge in the big boat, 300 PSI but not a lot of volume, gets into the nooks and crannies without flooding the area, Just my 2 cents.
Hydroshot Portable Power Cleaners | WORX

You may all want to laugh but I got one of these hose out my small fishing skiff, it works great (within its limits). Drop the pick up hose in the water and pull the trigger, works as promised. Also great for cleaning the bilge in the big boat, 300 PSI but not a lot of volume, gets into the nooks and crannies without flooding the area, Just my 2 cents.
Hydroshot Portable Power Cleaners | WORX

That's pretty interesting. I've been using a 32V Worx leaf blower around the house for a few years now and it works pretty well -- even for a light dusting of snow a couple times. Couldn't keep a gas blower running, probably partly due to the ethanol in our local gas...

If you're standing 8 ft higher than the water source, will it pick up the supply?

-Chris

That's pretty interesting. I've been using a 32V Worx leaf blower around the house for a few years now and it works pretty well -- even for a light dusting of snow a couple times. Couldn't keep a gas blower running, probably partly due to the ethanol in our local gas...

If you're standing 8 ft higher than the water source, will it pick up the supply?

-Chris

I agree, it's an interesting idea. I have asked the distributor a similar question on their website: will it pull water more than 6-feet up?

Ah. Found it on their FAQ, in the part about troubleshooting for low pressure. Looks like 5' max.

Hmmmm.....

-Chris

Ah. Found it on their FAQ, in the part about troubleshooting for low pressure. Looks like 5' max.

Hmmmm.....

-Chris

Yes, hmmm... Not quite enough.

Jabsco Hotshot

We are using one of these, installed by prior owners:

https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-Hotshot-Automatic-Washdown-Pump/dp/B076GY775Z

It has its own through hull and power, and it is plumbed to a deck hose attachment point. We have a short hose and use it only for washing ground tackle. On a few occasions, it washed away a significant amount of mud/clay from our #110 Bruce. I am pleased enough with it that I can recommend it, and would replace it with a like pump, if (when) this one fails.

Best Wishes

It sounds like it would get old quick having to set up, remove and store each time.

I suggest you bite the bullet and install a pump in the boat closer to or below the waterline.

The pump Ted and Jeff suggested should work very well. Lots of pressure and volume.

I think more like 5' above the waterline...

-Chris
Not at mid ship. No need to set it up at the bow. Run the suction hose out through the scupper at mid ship.

Ted

Yes, hmmm... Not quite enough.

Seems something like this would probably work better for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Pre...=sem&msclkid=33e7bf11bd9c1415b9f8e4ac582ca063

Our saltwater washdown pump is something like 4.5 GPM/60 psi (or some such, but anyway much higher than the Worx .5 GPM rating), and the only issue I usually have is that pressure doesn't hold all the way down to where the anchor chain is coming out of the water. Maybe just getting the stream closer to the target would be a step foward.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom