Hatch over berth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkay

Guru
Vessel Name
Wingspan
Vessel Make
Aluminum Catamaran
I'd like to get thoughts and opinions on having a hatch over your berth.

I grew up with wooden boats and the consensus was never put a hatch over your berth - but then again, everything on a wooden boat will leak at some point. Now I have to decide about a hatch on an aluminum hull boat.

The easiest and most useful location is to put the hatch centered over a queen size berth. It will probably be a Lewmar 60 Low Profile hatch that is large enough to serve as a point of egress in emergencies. I realize everything leaks eventually, that's why I'm looking for folks with more experience with these hatches than I have.

My preference is above the berth. But I could also locate it offset from the berth, but would need to reduce the size of the hatch. If I reduce the size I probably wouldn't be able to use a hatch large enough to slip through unless I kept the same size hatch, then it would still overlap the berth - so that's not a logical improvement in my desire to avoid leaks on the berth.

This is a coastal cruising boat - so not much blue water crashing on the hatch (I hope). Any thoughts on the reliability of these hatches or practical experience is appreciated.

Dave

I’d put one over the berth, in addition as an escape hatch that you mentioned, for added ventilation. It’s nice to capture the breeze.

Modern hatches are quite reliable at keeping the outside out. In 10-15 years if/when the gasket gets worn enough to start leaking you replace it. No biggie. I say put a hatch wherever you think its best.

Ken

Over the berth and large enough for emergency exit. New hatches dont leak under most conditions.

Good feedback from both - thank you. I was hoping that would be the consensus but just didn't know about these modern, newfangled hatches. My current boat is a state of the art 1950's design.

I'm sure someone will chime in with a different opinion - but that's what I asked for.

All the reasons above for "over the berth" plus-if you are using that berth you will know about the inevitable leak the FIRST time it occurs.

It probably will never leak but as always; hope for the best and plan for the worst. Think it though and be ready for it.

Gotta admit that I have never looked into emergency hatch repairs. It's hard enough to get crew to close the engine room door when waves are breaking into the engine room. Sometimes you look back and wonder: "What were they thinking?" Sometimes, some people, when under stress, just don't connect the dots.

Boat - I'm a retired Special Forces officer (it took a while before I could say that out loud) - I've had many "What were they thinking?" moments in my life!! Granted, my language was a little saltier back then...

I am with the not directly over the bunk crowd if possible.

It doesn't matter if it leaks or was accidently left open and your conehead boat neighbor washes his boat and now your bunk is wet.

Sleeping on a soggy savk isn't much fun.

There is a lot to be said for that link between drilling and discipline. And the difference between discipline and punishment. It seems to be mostly lost in civilian life.

If you take a wave over the bow and the hatch is open, it will leak - promise. It might damage the hatch and leak forever. Checklists are your friends.

I am with the not directly over the bunk crowd if possible.

It doesn't matter if it leaks or was accidently left open and your conehead boat neighbor washes his boat and now your bunk is wet.

Sleeping on a soggy savk isn't much fun.

This.

I like being able to see out, both pleasant and good tool to line up a particular tree and know you are where you are supposed to be. But few things cause my soul to shrink faster than not having a place to sleep when the time finally comes. If you have an alternate bunk for times like this you can count on, go for it.

I've had hatches over berths on every boat I've ever owned or used. It was only a problem on one of them, and than was simply due to a poor design choice on the part of the builder.

Currently I have a larger Lewmar hatch over our master berth. It is great for ventilation and light (I love having natural light coming into the cabin in the morning although my wife isn't as crazy about it at 5:00am in the summer.) Modern hatches installed properly don't leak. Last spring I made a bad weather call and repeatedly buried the bow with green water washing over the deck and cabin. Not a single leak through the hatch.

Good thoughts from everyone. Thank you. The sister ship I inspected had a hatch over the berth, but that vessel was in Washington State where they never get any weather at anchor...

For us a hatch is indispensable. THe V berth cools off way before the salon meaning we can sleep long before we would otherwise.

Yes some water can get in if attention is not paid to neighbours, the rain clouds or even your own boat washing. Even when at home and I'm working on the boat I open the hatch and the salon door and the breeze keeps the interior tolerable on hot days. Without that hatch it would be HOT.

Make sure there is a good insect screen or bugs can ruin your day/night.

Can you mount the hatch on a curb of about 1", even 1/2" high. THat will keep a lot of water out that would otherwise overwhelm a low profile hatch frame. Mine is like that and even in the heaviest rain, or washing, no water gets to the hatch seal itself due to the curb, unless of course I leave the hatch open. Even then it takes a very heavy rain, splashing, to enter.

C lectric - the curb is a good idea I have not considered. I've seen raised lips around a hatch for offshore protection and decided I didn't want to go that route, but raising it up an inch or so is worth considering.

I'll ponder that idea!

I would not be without a hatch over the v berth. I dont want to drown and dont mind getting wet from a leak if I dont die. Getting from a sinking boat through one or more other cabins would scare me to death...wouldnt drown...I guess. Never had a boat, wooden, steel, or glass that didnt have an escape hatch.

Center the hatch....and get a waterproof bedspread. The hatch probably won't leak for 15 years....by then it might be someone else's boat.

We have one, OEM,over the fwd berth. It has a dorade vent incorporated into it,and an insect/ breeze type general screen attached with press studs. The vent can be left open at night if desired, head to breeze on the hook gives good airflow. If it rains we are soon woken It can be closed and air still enters via the dorade vent which has never leaked,even in extreme weather.

If you take a wave over the bow and the hatch is open, it will leak - promise. It might damage the hatch and leak forever. Checklists are your friends.
True Statement. Don't ask me how I know.

Hatch over berth ... isn't that standard practice? ... Give us some light, ventilation, and a way to escape.

24" square hatch with clear glass over our bed. We love to lie in bed and watch the stars .... oh yeah, Sharon always wanted crown moulding with hidden lighting.

Attachments

• vberth 5.JPG
    vberth 5.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 68
Another advantage of a large hatch forward is when the weather is such that walking on deck would be unsafe, you might be able to handle things from the relative safety of your bunk through the hatch.

A cool breeze at anchor is wonderful. Watching the moon and stars is a favorite pastime. And when it starts to rain you will wake up and close all the rest of your windows and portlights.

ScreenedHatch.jpg

The raised deck is critical so water can't overwhelm your hatch drainage system. I added foam too, along with a screen.
Article here: Screening My Hatch (eBay advice) article on janice142

Good luck. Put my vote down for a big hatch directly above the bunk please.

...but that vessel was in Washington State where they never get any weather at anchor...

Interesting - where do you think we DO get weather? Only at the dock? Only underway? Curious about this...

If you go for an added hatch , take a look at the French Goiot line.

If there still offered ,look for hatches built to be opened from either end ,from inside with no pin changes or hassle.

We have them on our 90/90 and they are great .

Last edited:
GFC - that video looks like some good, clean fun!

Refugio - sorry, that was a joke based on Washington's well earned reputation for rain. I first learned to sail there - after the first year or two we decided if you wanted to catch the wind, you needed to sail in the rain; if you wanted sun, you had to be prepared to motor.

I have a 40' ocean yacht that has a hatch located in the center of the berth. Makes a great vent as well as an access point fir emergencies. As long as the latches and seal are good should last. Flex seal is also great for sealing any outside points

Most hatches start to drip after about 20 years. It’s a 1-2 hour job to renew the seal and you’re good for another 20.

Should you install a hatch , be sure to include an automatic rain hatch closer.

This is a small triangle of wood mounted (glued) in a corner with a hole that will pass a chop stick, but not pass a std sized aspirin.

On leaving the hatch is propped open by resting the chop stick on the aspirin.

A bit of rain , and gravity is your friend.

Enjoy!

I have a Lewmar 60 hatch in the front cabin which is situated just at the foot of the double berth. I thoroughly recommend fitting it (opening forward) on a glassed in curb. You can also buy an interior Lewmar roller blind/insect screen which is a great job.
On the outside I would recommend a waterproof insulated cover securely attached with press studs to stop condensation and conserve heat in the winter, also for use on excessively hot days when the heat would cause premature aging of the roller blind.
Before you start engines you should have a checklist, be sure to add 'Close all hatches' to the list.
Safe cruising.

I have a Lewmar Ocean, it has a lip around the frame edge that keeps water out in a couple of different height profiles. I can open the hatch slightly for ventilation even while it's raining and no water comes in unless driven by the wind (hard). It might be uncomfortable to crawl out over the lip if you used it regularly for egress but in an emergency you for sure wouldn't notice it.

Mine is a skylight in the pilot house cabin roof, replacing a spot light that leaked into the core. The Bomar in my bedroom has no lip, and until I replaced the seal a hard driven wind could push water through the seal and it dripped on my pillow. A new seal was easy to install and 100% solved the issue.

Many hatch designs will not leak with a good gasket seal, many others have a lip to prevent the issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom