HELP! Dipstick fell into transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
When checking my transmission oil yesterday (Paragon 200 on a FL 120), I was left only with the dipstick cap in my hand. The actual stick that dips into the oil (about 6 inches long) separated from the cap and stayed inside the transmission. I didn't have any magnet or retrieving tool with me so I just left everything as is for now. I'm hoping that I will be able to fish it out easily with the proper retrieving tool but in case I don't, what are my options?

I'm guessing it would be a very bad idea to use the boat with that thing loose inside the tranny? It's the end of the season here and I'm hauling the boat out in a few days, so it's no big deal for the moment. But I still have to get the boat to the travel lift...

Any insights or previous experience would certainly help!

It may not be magnetic. Good, long, needle-nose pliers may grab it. I wouldn’t engage transmission but I’m not a mechanic.

Greetings,
"...long, needle-nose pliers may grab it." Even better might be long forceps.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-locking-clamp-94952.html

image_13333.jpg

I'm crossing my fingers the thing is magnetic! The cap is so there is a good chance the stick is as well. Not sure the pliers/forceps would work. The hole is pretty darn small. 1/2 an inch at the most and I would have to go rather deep.

Most likely magnetic as so much else is , why go exotic at that point?

A telescoping rare earth magnet bolt retriever or a rare earth magnet epoxied to a piece of solid copper wire would be try 2 with care not to catch it on anything by oushing to hard/far.

Last resort before taking it apart might be to put a large magnet on the bottom of the sump to hopefully hold the lost item out of the gears.

Last resort before taking it apart might be to put a large magnet on the bottom of the sump to hopefully hold the lost item out of the gears.

the mag field on the oily side of a cast iron pan will be nil. The magnet would have to be IN the sump. I do recall some VD trannies had one on the inside.

the mag field on the oily side of a cast iron pan will be nil. The magnet would have to be IN the sump. I do recall some VD trannies had one on the inside.

Yes mine has one. I didn't know that when I pulled an oil sample though. You know what the sample showed LOL

Those long nose forceps also work well to retrieve unauthorized objects left by guests who didn’t follow the toilet use instructions.

I would not even start the engine. Even idling the main shaft and counter shaft(s) will be rotating including the gears that connect them all.

It sounds like the part that got left behind is visible or partly visible? That would be great and at least give you a fighting chance of getting it out.

If you're going to fish for the stick, it might be worth draining the oil so you could possibly see the stick.

Ted

You need a pick up claw. I have an old one that has the same small size outer coil. Needs to be smaller than tube. Pic is from ebay. Probably available from most auto parts stores.

Attachments

• claw.jpg
    claw.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 92
Try a plastic straw. Slip it over the top of the dipstick and hold your thumb over the top of the straw when you draw it up.

No luck. I tried for an hour yesterday with a magnetic retrieving tool and didn't get anywhere. I don't see the stick unfortunately. I kinda feel it when I plunge the tool inside but it's not coming out. Pliers would be no use. I will get a grabber tool today and try it but my expectations are pretty low at this point.

There is some kind of cover on top of the transmission where the shifting lever sits. It has 4 allen bolts. Any chance I could take that off and get to the part from there?

You might be able to get it through that access plate. It's worth a try before tearing the transmission apart.

Don't know your trans, but probably taking the cover off will work. Remainder of the dip stick will either be under everything or leaning against the case side. Magnet will try to attach to the gears. Grabber would be better. A very powerful magnet could magnetize whatever it touches like the gears causing them to collect steel particles.

Try a plastic straw. Slip it over the top of the dipstick and hold your thumb over the top of the straw when you draw it up.

That or a piece of hose, perhaps warmed up/deformed a bit to make it shaped to fit onto the end of the dipstick. You'd want hose stiff enough to allow pushing it hard onto/over the end of the top.

Attachments

• E91E5D5A-2173-4E12-92EB-BE8EA56C33AF.jpeg
    E91E5D5A-2173-4E12-92EB-BE8EA56C33AF.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
To wrap this story up (sort of). I tried everything I could. I emptied the oil, removed the cover plate, removed the fill cap and the breather cap to give me as many access points as possible. A friend even lent me an inspection camera so I was able to get inside and see the part at the bottom. With a telescoping magnet and a grabber I was able to pick the part but it proved impossible to get that 6 inch stick to align with the hole it came from to get it out. It would fall back down every time. After hours of tried (and cursing) I called it quits. Today my dock neighbour gave me a tow to the travel lift and that's it for now. Now that the boat is out of the water, I will remove the transmission and take it from there.

Thanks for all your input!

Try putting three strands of wire down the tube, passed where the top of the dipstick lies. When the three are positioned then start twisting all three together until they bind onto the piece. Keep twisting and slowly try pulling to see if you can retrieve the piece.

Too late now, but I bet a bamboo skewer with a notch in the end (Dremel tool), split up about 2 inches and held closed with a small diameter, soft O-ring would grab it. I don’t think the tube diameter is big enough for those retractable grabbers to work.

Could you work the part towards the oil drain hole?

Back
Top Bottom