Dual Racor filter cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhance

Vessel Name
Audrey Grace
Vessel Make
2003 Camano 31
With a dual racor setup, how do you all cycle the filters? Do you use one filter and then when time to replace that one you switch over to the other (replace the used one and keep it installed but inactive)? Or do you replace both even though one hasn't been used? Or use both and replace both when the time comes? I use one at a time so I always have a clean filter installed and ready to go if I get contamination.

One at a time, switching when the vacuum gauge gets close to red. Then change the dirty one when next practical to do so.

According to Racor, the aquabloc feature of the filters diminishes after a year.

Greetings,
Mr. jh. I would continue doing what you're doing. I might add that WHEN you install the new filter that you run the engine for a short period of time and then switch back to the "old" filter. This should ensure that IF an "emergency" switch over is necessary, you will be confident that there are no air pockets or leaks in the standby filter.

Greetings,
Mr. jh. I would continue doing what you're doing. I might add that WHEN you install the new filter that you run the engine for a short period of time and then switch back to the "old" filter. This should ensure that IF an "emergency" switch over is necessary, you will be confident that there are no air pockets or leaks in the standby filter.

That's a good point and tip.

I have yet to get bad fuel. I have been running on one filter and then replacing it after a year and then run on the other filter.

My only concern, and psneed mentioned it, is that Parker says there is a lifespan to the aquablock chemicals. I found that bit of information once and it was really had to find. I couldn't find it again when I looked.

So my system could be bad. I am using a filter that has sat in diesel for a year and may not be as effective at removing water.

So my system may be flawed. Short of replacing both filters yearly, I don't know of a solution. Filters aren't that expensive but ....

Isn’t the water supposed to sit at the bottom of the racor, with or without aqua Block?

Gordon

Isn’t the water supposed to sit at the bottom of the racor, with or without aqua Block?

Gordon

I wouldn’t trust my understanding, but yes, the turbo design is supposed to allow the water to settle to the bottom, but that will only work if the water droplets are large enough. The aqua bloc helps stop the small water droplets so they can aggregate and fall the the bottom.

Just sounds odd that this aqua block is important. I didn’t use a racor on the first two boats, but the first filter in line did have a drain and was labeled filter and fuel water separator. I just changed my 1000 racors after two years and 450 hours even though the vacuum gauge showed plenty of remaining capacity. I drained the housing and cleaned it and saw not a drop of water.

? I use one at a time so I always have a clean filter installed and ready to go if I get contamination.
That is what I intend to do.

Below is a service note I pulled out of the installation manual.

Attachments

• Racor Service Notes.png
    Racor Service Notes.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 44
According to Racor, the aquabloc feature of the filters diminishes after a year.

I wasn't aware of that. So the idle filter sitting full of diesel for a year starts to lose it's effectiveness? Hmm... in that case maybe it's best to just replace both filters annually, even though one never gets used. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

I wasn't aware of that. So the idle filter sitting full of diesel for a year starts to lose it's effectiveness? Hmm... in that case maybe it's best to just replace both filters annually, even though one never gets used. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

That is what I’m wondering. I’m not doing that now, but it is something that is in the back of my head.

That is what I’m wondering. I’m not doing that now, but it is something that is in the back of my head.

If I just switch over and use the idle filter after one year, then I'd be using a two year old filter by the time it needs to be changed. I guess that's enough for me to change them both annually.

Depending on what chemicals do the water block, it would seem wise to keep any replacement filters in an airtight zip lock bag.

Depending on what chemicals do the water block, it would seem wise to keep any replacement filters in an airtight zip lock bag.

Probably a good idea. I believe they are packaged in plastic (that is my recollection which is terribly faulty).

When I change a filter I use the filter that is on board as spare and replace it with a new one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom