Moving a flybridge boat from West Coast to East Coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adornato

Vessel Name
Sarah McLean
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot
I have a Sabre 42 with flybridge. It originally moved to the west coast with flybridge uninstalled (on a truck).

Now, I am thinking about moving from San Francisco to Maine and i Do not want to deconstruct the flybridge unless I have to.

Vancouver to Florida on a ship?

bruce adornato
M/V Mary Shaw
SFO

Your options are rather limited for that size boat and removing the flybridge and truck shipping is probably the best.

You almost certainly will have to remove the flybridge to ship overland. Shipping over to Florida by sea will probably cost almost double and then you have to get it to Maine.

David

Bruce, I shipped my boat from the Detroit area to Portland, OR when I bought it. Had to remove the fly bridge and that had to come on a separate truck/trailer.

One of the smartest things I did in the whole process was to fly the guy who was going to do the reassembly of the fly bridge from Portland back to Detroit to supervise the disassembly. He knew he was going to have to put it all back together so he carefully marked every wire so he knew which ends to connect to each other.

I thought if the selling broker did the disassembly he would just go in and cut wires with no regard to marking them. The selling broker was kind of a dick and would have done that to get even with me. Sounds odd, but I bought the boat much cheaper than they wanted to sell it and he wasn't very happy with me or the whole deal.

I recently got a quote to move a 48' flybridge boat from Ensenada, Mexico to Ft Lauderdale by boat. It was a little over $30K. They also transport from the Port of Vancouver.

A friend of mine shipped a flying bridge boat from Miami to Texas. He decided to remove the bridge himself and reinstalled it when it arrived. He has a LOT of experience working on boats. I think I’d get good boat yards involved at each end of the trip.

Hey, didn’t we dig a canal down south somewhere for just this kind of problem?

I recently got a quote to move a 48' flybridge boat from Ensenada, Mexico to Ft Lauderdale by boat. It was a little over $30K. They also transport from the Port of Vancouver.

I was considering a Willard in Seattle 5 years ago. There's more to shipping by boat than you would think and only a few companies you want to deal with. Price varies widely depending on how many boats are on the ship. Beginning of each year there is a ship that hauls a number of boats from Vancouver to the Miami boat show. From a price and company you want to work with standpoint, that's the ship you want to be on.

Ted

One of the smartest things I did in the whole process was to fly the guy who was going to do the reassembly of the fly bridge from Portland back to Detroit to supervise the disassembly. He knew he was going to have to put it all back together so he carefully marked every wire so he knew which ends to connect to each other.

That is a great idea. When I shipped a sailboat from SoCal to Tacoma I never thought of doing that. Simpler job, but it would have been nice to have my rigger down there as the boat was derigged for shipping.

Have you considered selling your boat on the west coast and buying another in Maine?

Next time, consider a boat without a flybridge. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom