Grease stains on teak deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schrater

Vessel Name
Matilda
Vessel Make
Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
I have raw teak decks (untreated) that are in good shape. And I’ve BBQ’d over my rail for years with no ill effects. But recently I had a large grease splatter (olive oil I think) that was left overnight, and it left spots all over the deck that I have not been able to remove. I’ve done multiple scrubs with Dawn, and multiple with OxyClean (my usual go-to), but it’s barely improved at all. Why now after all this time, I don’t know. Any ideas of what else to try?

Whoops, sorry, wrong forum. How do I move?

Try K2r spot remover, we use it all the time.

Nothing stronger than dishwashing soap and patience, it will go away with light.

I was lubricating my saloon door locks with graphite-based oil about ten years ago. Spilled some on my teak decks. I thought I was going to be sick! Within two weeks the stain was gone.

I’ve had good success with this stuff from Teakdecking Systems. The World's Leader in Pre-Manufactured Custom Teak Decks - Teakdecking Systems®.
Like that is gentle but cleans well. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

ECO-100 Teak Cleaner Powder is a NEW high performance, concentrated teak cleaner. Even though ECO-100 Teak Cleaner Powder contains no acid, caustic sodas and phosphates, it is a very powerful and effective cleaner that cleans and brightens without removing the soft fibers of your teak. It mixes easily in water and is designed to not harm your teak, caulking, hardware or paint. This product has been formulated to be 100% environmentally-friendly and represents the most advanced truly “green” teak cleaner powder in the marine industry today.

Update for those following along or searching later...K2R indeed works great! I wasn’t sure since it only lists upholstery usages, but since nothing else had worked I gave it a try. It was super easy and pulled the stains right out!

Fugeddabout it! If utterly horrified, scrub the spill with dish soap. Then give up; no need to scrub the Teak to oblivion.

Then try to be sure it's in sunlight with lots of rain or similar wet daily. It will weather off quite quickly. This goes for diesel fuel, olive oil, butter; motor oil and hydraulic fluid take just a little longer.

I fear anything harsh or likely to damage the seam sealant.

Moved Thread from "Electrical and Electronics & Navigation" to "General Maintenance"

I had two seperate motor oil spills thst each took about 6-8 months of normal weathering to come out. Teak has a pretty amazing resilience.

Back
Top Bottom