What do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Drink involved or just stupidity.

Coming through Carolina Beach this afternoon heading for Wrightsville Beach. There was a young lady on a paddle board off to the right edge of the ICW. I had a go fast coming up behind me which she saw, so stopped paddling, after it passed I watched her closely to make sure she was staying put. As soon as she dipped her paddle I knew I had a potential issue so pulled back on the throttles and kept one hand on them ready to throw her into a serious reverse. I grabbed my phone with the other and thumbed evidence.

Couldn't you have just turned right or is there no water there? Nothing happened so all's well.

If I had to I would have run it onto the sand at idle and backed off afterwards - but no, the ICW through there is skinny tight and it was a Saturday afternoon... I was not so much worried about hitting her if she kept moving but if her ass fell off that thing right in front of the bow.

I think I would have hit the horn when she got safely to port...for emphasis!

Could have been either but could have been a huge mistake on her part. Perhaps misjudged your speed or more likely what a driver did in front of me decades ago. I was on a four land divided street, in the left lane on my side. A car sped by me in the right lane. It was at that point I saw a car pull out from the right, immediately in front of me. I was able to do a slideways slide and ease gently into him as opposed to hitting his drivers door at 40 mph. He quickly took the blame and said he was so focused on the other car, he just thought it was clear after and never saw me. Fortunately, no one was hurt. It's why we all have to be defensive drivers on the roads and water.

I know her move had to be scary to you and am very glad you were paying attention and avoided a disaster.

Wife thought that she made the decision to go, then got pushed a bit sideways by the go fast wake, and by the time she got going again the variables has worsened and she should have changed her decision.

Not the brightest manuever...like beginning sailors, many paddle boarders think they have the right of way all the time (despite it most likely being a rule 9 case). On a busy day, maybe she thought like crossing a busy street, now or never and you werent a 18 year old, screaming by at 40kts with his hair on fire....

If there was any danger/doubt....5 or more short blasts of the horn would have been appropriate (well....at least rules wise....but not boater friendly :).. ).

But you seem to handle it all just fine....normal for busy ICW days... :thumb:

Last edited:
If the navigable channel is too narrow to maneuver away from the paddle boarder then rule 9 does apply. However when dealing with the likes of paddle boarders, kayaks and rowing shells we have to keep in mind that most are not mariners of any kind and ignorant of the rules. Ignorant of how long it can take a larger vessel to turn and stop. Ignorant of how to interpret relative motion. If they think of anything it is that they have 'right of way'. I'd wager most don't even think that far.

As the paddle boarder proceeded to cross your bow too close for safety rule 2(b) then comes into force.

RULE 2
Responsibility

(b) In construing and complying with these Rules due regard shall be had
to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances,
including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a
departure from these Rules necessary to avoid immediate danger.
A twin presumably with bow thruster is more than maneuvarable enough to stop and hold position in the channel while the ignroant paddle boater passes. A PITA for sure, but far better than putting anyone at risk.

I would not have used horn or thrusters - the horn is a three horn ship blaster and would probably have frightened her enough to fall. The thrusters, if you don't know what you are hearing, could likely to do the same.
Though if she had fallen then yep, thrusters on to the soft sand and sort it out later.

Anyway, away from that weekend madness today, 20nm south of Beaufort inlet and the biggest waves out here are the ones we are making!

Attachments

• IMG_20180701_111335488_HDR-1008x756a.jpg
    IMG_20180701_111335488_HDR-1008x756a.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 111
Anyway, away from that weekend madness today, 20nm south of Beaufort inlet and the biggest waves out here are the ones we are making!

We had some of those lake conditions in South Florida when we were home a week or so ago. Beautiful. I'm sure you're enjoying.

I hadn't thought about the noise thrusters make. You are right, when heard from low on the water near the bow they are loud.

A comment on sounding the danger signal, not directed at you or anyone in particular. When dealing with someone who clearly does not understand the rules the danger signal won't accomplish a thing. And in your case as you said may have caused her to fall. I prefer a short toot. It's not covered in the rules and won't cover your butt in a maritime court. But it does say to the human powered boater about to do something risky. "Hey! Look over here!" I've had good success with the short toot getting the offending boat to stop or change course. Of course not likely to work with a paddle board, they just don't maneuver quickly.

are you going in Beaufort inlet ? if so expect more of the same Sunday before the forth could be a few crazies.

We had some of those lake conditions in South Florida when we were home a week or so ago. Beautiful. I'm sure you're enjoying.

Now the wind has totally gone since I took that photo!

Attachments

• IMG_20180701_112908967-1008x756a.jpg
    IMG_20180701_112908967-1008x756a.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 89
are you going in Beaufort inlet ? if so expect more of the same Sunday before the forth could be a few crazies.

Yep. We were going to anchor off Morehead, but we will be there before 2 so are thinking of going on to the end of Adams Creek and anchor on the Neuse River.

Now the wind has totally gone since I took that photo!

Windy shows you with 1' at 5 seconds and 7 knot breezes.

And we were happy looking at tomorrow off Nova Scotia and seeing 3' at 7 seconds with 4-6 kt wind.

No 7 knot breeze here!

Attachments

• IMG_20180701_120721012-1008x756A.jpg
    IMG_20180701_120721012-1008x756A.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 90
I doubt you would get very far standing on rule 9. I doubt if a court would find you restricted in your ability to manuver. I’m not letting SUP off the hook, it’s stupid to be Dead Right.

Yep. We were going to anchor off Morehead, but we will be there before 2 so are thinking of going on to the end of Adams Creek and anchor on the Neuse River.

we tested our anchoring skills for lunch at north Adams creek . it went ok . we wanted to stay a night in back creek but it's a minefield of crab pots.

No wind whatsoever overnight so we are just going to pull off onto the side on the Neuse. Mouth of the Pungo tomorrow and Coinjock Tuesday. Portsmouth for the Fourth.

Dude, you know better than to cruise on a weekend in Florida! [emoji51]

Wait, just realized your weren’t in Florida, so I guess it’s crazy-town boating everywhere on the weekend!

Last edited:
I'd shut the throttle and shake my head, and mutter.

Maybe the SUP thought, judging your speed compared to the fast boat,yours was minimal or you had stopped or you were giving way, and it was safe to cross, but gee...glad it worked out.

I think you were making a point. **** like this happens every day, boat, car, plane, you name it. Whatever. She messed up. Maybe she thought you were going slower, maybe she thought she could paddle faster, maybe that was her first time on a pladdle board. Who knows, who cares.

What’s important is, was she hot?

Weekends in my home harbor can be a bit nuts on a nice day. Most boaters are careful and considerate. The Harbor entrance is very narrow and the channel has a bit of a dog leg. At low tide there is just enough room for one boat to go each way if they are careful. When the current is running strong, it can really move you around a lot.

Unfortunately, the harbor entrance has a very nice spit that kayakers and SUP boarders love to paddle out to and pull up on the beach. Often they cross the narrow channel right as boats are trying to enter or leave. I keep reminding myself that they are simply ignorant. Sounding a horn is of little help because they see you, just don’t know the best decision to make.

I fault the rental companies who send the newbs out on the water with no instruction on how not to get themselves killed by a boat.

I'd shut the throttle and shake my head, and mutter.

My wife listened to the end of the video and Facebooked it to our three grown children with "do you guys remember that sigh, usually followed with "can I see you in the office"!

We’re moored in Lake Union surrounded by electric boat rentals, SUP rentals, kayak rentals plus the usual traffic of sailboats, trawlers, go fast boats, tugs and seaplanes.

I haven’t been boating here very long but have learned to just mentally prepare for anything. Aside from dodging tourists my biggest concern is if I have to go full stop in a channel on a busy day the boat behind me is also paying attention.

I haven’t been boating here very long but have learned to just mentally prepare for anything. Aside from dodging tourists my biggest concern is if I have to go full stop in a channel on a busy day the boat behind me is also paying attention.

Yeah, my real concern is entering Gig Harbor on a busy day with the current running and having to suddenly stop to avoid running over a gaggle of SUPs. The problem with the current is that you can’t just stop. The current can push you on the beach and without some boat speed, there is very little maneuvering ability.

How does the right of way, work in that situation?

Back
Top Bottom