Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/)
-   -   question: tipping the dock master (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/question-tipping-dock-master-39195.html)

BandB 06-27-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benthic2 (Post 676534)
The following people can be paid less than minimum wage:

Seasonal and recreational. The article I read mentioned Ski Lodges and amusement parks, but I assume a marina would fall under that as well.

Employees under 20 years old can be paid less than minimum wage for their first 90 days of employment.

Tipped employees. If employees recieve tips, they can be paid less than minimum, however the wages and tips must add up to minimum wage, or the employer has to make up the difference

. The interesting thing here is what constitutes a "tipped employee" Just by the discussion here, its not necessarily clear for some occupations. Obviously bartender, luggage porter and cabbie are tipped, but its not so clear for a few others.

sources:
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...age-32961.html
https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...tml/?a=viewall

There are businesses that take extreme advantage of these loopholes too. All amusement parks but the worst culprit and the one that I feel has the least ground to stand on is movie theaters.

A marina in northern areas would fall under the no overtime requirement but one in South Florida would not, in my opinion, even if some claimed they did. It's all based on sales by month.

Laws have been proposed to change this but haven't passed.

DDW 06-27-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightCrawler (Post 676162)
What he said.:thumb: When we return to marinas, we are treated exceptionally well, having taken care of the help on a previous visit. They remember.

This requires repeated visits to a dock where tips are not shared. If not repeat, they don't know. If shared, it doesn't matter which boat you help. These are some of the many issues I have with the tipping system.

boomerang 06-27-2018 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Somewhat of a thread drift here but I swiped this picture from a members album on the MTOA website. He was showcasing his paint job in the picture but what caught my attention was the signs on the travel lift soliciting tips from customers. It creams my corn when people try to guilt me into giving them a tip. Actually, it would have the opposite effect on me. I normally do tip the travel lift guy at the marine where we haul out because he puts us where we want to be on the yard, loans me stuff like a prop puller when I needed it & gives the bottom a thorough pressure washing. I'm happy to tip him but if there was a sign almost requesting a tip, I would think twice.

denverd0n 06-28-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanfromhell (Post 676539)
Please leave your tipping habits at home when you visit Canada. We like it the way it is now, where everyone is treated equal unless they are jerks and money doesnt buy your way to the head of the line.

Been to Canada many times. Bring my tipping habits with me. Always seem to get exceptional service. Better, even, than all those "equal" people. Hmmm.

Like I said, the world works the way the world works. People everywhere like being recognized and appreciated, and nothing says "I appreciate your efforts" quite as loudly and clearly as a couple of dollars. "Put your money where your mouth is," as they say.

So, do you also let it annoy you that the Sun does not rise in the West?

Woodland Hills 06-28-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverd0n (Post 676778)
Been to Canada many times. Bring my tipping habits with me. Always seem to get exceptional service. Better, even, than all those "equal" people. Hmmm.

Like I said, the world works the way the world works. People everywhere like being recognized and appreciated, and nothing says "I appreciate your efforts" quite as loudly and clearly as a couple of dollars. "Put your money where your mouth is," as they say.

So, do you also let it annoy you that the Sun does not rise in the West?

My goodness, how very American: no regard for local customs and a belief that those with the most money should always be first in line. Sad!

rclarke246 06-28-2018 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodland Hills (Post 676781)
My goodness, how very American: no regard for local customs and a belief that those with the most money should always be first in line. Sad!

No one said that "Those with the most money should always be first in line".

T.I.P. is an acronym for To Insure Promptness, though it doesn't "insure" anything except maybe some generosity and appreciation for a job well done.

By the way, being a proud American, I think most American customs are just fine!

dhays 06-28-2018 09:13 AM

Wow, this thread has now fully devolved.

smitty477 06-28-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rclarke246 (Post 676790)

T.I.P. is an acronym for To Insure Promptness, though it doesn't "insure" anything except maybe some generosity and appreciation for a job well done.

By the way, being a proud American, I think most American customs are just fine!

Hello rclarke246 .well put +1

Tom.B 06-28-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhays (Post 676800)
Wow, this thread has now fully devolved.

I predicted this on Post #4. Happens every time.

Benthic2 06-28-2018 10:31 AM

rclarke246.....T.I.P. is an acronym for To Insure Promptness....

unless you are covering financial loss from lack of promptness, I think the word you need is "ensure"....and then the acronym kind of falls apart.

Woodland Hills 06-28-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rclarke246 (Post 676790)

I am American too, but I also respect that there are proud Canadians and I respect their customs when in their country. How would you feel if a bunch of foreigners came to your town and began violating your local expectations of behavior?

foggysail 06-28-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodland Hills (Post 676781)

+1 :thumb:

smitty477 06-28-2018 02:26 PM

Tipping in Canada....

https://www.smartertravel.com/2017/0...tipping-guide/

psneeld 06-28-2018 02:30 PM

Depends what customs they are violating in my neck of the woods... :)

Being smart wherever you live should always outweigh "pride"....so how bad can it be if a foreigner gives you more money for doing a job as a way of saying thanks....which is obvious because you are not paid a tipping wage?

But I do try and follow local customs...but I dont see the opposite of NOT tipping in places where tourism is big and the employees count on it.

.......And the link shows tipping in Canada is catching on.

smitty477 06-28-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psneeld (Post 676863)
Depends what customs they are violating in my neck of the woods... :)

Being smart wherever you live should always outweigh "pride"....so how bad can it be if a foreigner gives you more money for doing a job as a way of saying thanks....which is obvious because you are not paid a tipping wage?

But I do try and follow local customs...but I dont see the opposite of NOT tipping in places where tourism is big and the employees count on it.

.......And the link shows tipping in Canada is catching on.

Actually - all the hits I got on tipping in Canada came back like this. I could not find one article that suggested otherwise but maybe I missed something. If anyone finds one that says tipping is not acceptable in cases please post it back.

Also searched for tipping in Australia - interesting reading those as well.

Donna 06-28-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanfromhell (Post 676539)
Please leave your tipping habits at home when you visit Canada. We like it the way it is now, where everyone is treated equal unless they are jerks and money doesnt buy your way to the head of the line.

How about you do what you want and I do what I want? That makes things a lot easier.

Simi 60 06-28-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandB (Post 676578)
I've tipped in Canada and not a single time had an angry employee upset with me. I will continue to do so. Not buying anything but thanking them for outstanding service.

And its exactly this sort of thing ruining many places I have travelled to.
Lands that had little tourism and zero tipping culture were great to go to.
Totally authentic, quiet, simple, any travellers you saw were not there for the western world.

Now that they are now seeing the american tourist* McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks etc is invading the land and tipping is becoming expected, everyone wants a fken iPhone and scams and rippoffs are become more prevelant as everyone scrabbles for the $ to buy more crap.

Its sad to see wonderful way of life and culture ruined by consumerism and greed.

* just about every other nationality has been in these lands for decades and not tried to change things.

Benthic2 06-28-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simi 60 (Post 676880)
And its exactly this sort of thing ruining many places I have travelled to.
Lands that had little tourism and zero tipping culture were great to go to.
Totally authentic, quiet, simple, any travellers you saw were not there for the western world.

Now that they are now seeing the american tourist* McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks etc is invading the land and tipping is becoming expected, everyone wants a fken iPhone and scams and rippoffs are become more prevelant as everyone scrabbles for the $ to buy more crap.

Its sad to see wonderful way of life and culture ruined by consumerism and greed.

* just about every other nationality has been in these lands for decades and not tried to change things.

You don't think Americans have been going there for decades too ?

Maybe your country just likes fast food and iPhones. Lots of people do.

Maybe your anti-American bias just really skews the way you see things.

Moby Nick 06-28-2018 04:59 PM

OK, I need to start doing this. I do appreciate the help. Did not know it was expected.

Simi 60 06-28-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benthic2 (Post 676885)
You don't think Americans have been going there for decades too ?

I know Americans haven't been going to these places for decades.
Saw plenty of every other nationality over the years but Americans were a rare breed.
Now they are not.
And now McDonalds etc are popping up fat children and kidults are evident, something you would never see previously.
Can you see a link?
Quote:

Maybe your country just likes fast food and iPhones. Lots of people do.
I am not talking about my country and I am not talking about canada

Quote:

Maybe your anti-American bias just really skews the way you see things.
Its not anti american as such.
I have the same disdain for any country/corporation/peoples who come into a land and force their ways onto others.