Moldy caulking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
For those of you who have mold/mildew stains on the caulking, especially at the hull to deck joint around the cockpit, I just had it replaced.

Cost me around $500 to have someone remove the caulking around the cockpit as well as the caulking around the flybridge.

Replaced it with 3M 4000 UV. We'll see how it holds up.

I'll be at the boat this weekend and will snap a few photos.

Mike

Thanks for that.

I have a flybridge-to-pilothouse "bead" that looks terrible. It appears to be working properly, so I had not considered replacement. I have tried vinegar and Moldex, without the desired result. I was hoping to apply something to dissipate the mold, but no luck yet.

All of my white exterior caulking is moldy. I contacted 3M and they suggested Beneteau did not use a marine product. My 15 year old boat had original caulking that looked fine. Has anyone had any luck getting Beneteau to cover under warranty?

Thanks for that.

I have a flybridge-to-pilothouse "bead" that looks terrible. It appears to be working properly, so I had not considered replacement. I have tried vinegar and Moldex, without the desired result. I was hoping to apply something to dissipate the mold, but no luck yet.

Once knew a carpet and tile guy that swore by the use of Tea Tree Oil to treat mold spots. This was before essential oils became a vogue thing. He would by straight Tea Tree Oil by the gallon and keep it on jobs with him in a 16oz spray bottle. Now-a-days I only see Tea Tree Oil in small bottles that you disburse by counting drops.

All of my white exterior caulking is moldy. I contacted 3M and they suggested Beneteau did not use a marine product. My 15 year old boat had original caulking that looked fine. Has anyone had any luck getting Beneteau to cover under warranty?

They supposedly use Sikka 501, which doesn't seem to be available in the states.

Most boat warranties require that you request an authorization first.

An old hand that did a lot of caulking work for me used to paint it using boat paint.
Issues like this went away and it cleaned up right nice.

For those of you who have mold/mildew stains on the caulking, especially at the hull to deck joint around the cockpit, I just had it replaced.

Cost me around $500 to have someone remove the caulking around the cockpit as well as the caulking around the flybridge.

Replaced it with 3M 4000 UV. We'll see how it holds up.

I'll be at the boat this weekend and will snap a few photos.

Mike
Good to know thanks

I removed some molds/mildew stains by touching them with bit of Sodiumhypochlorite. Costs nothing and the stains disappear like snow in the sun. It is a normal symptom in moistureous surroundings. Good ventilation will prevent molds/mildew.

Pressure wash, then bleach. 3M 4000UV is the right stuff to use.

Back
Top Bottom