Fast trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
Today on the icw in Hollywood Florida

Attachments

• 20180503_152804.jpg
    20180503_152804.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 266
Was it the "MY Farley Mowat"? or just a supporter?

Honestly, I'm a huge fan of conservation. I'm on the fence as to the general practices of Sea Shepard.

Brigitte Bardot registered in Australia

Attachments

• 20180503_151700.jpg
    20180503_151700.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 263
There is information about the vessel on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Brigitte_Bardot
I thought it sank following interaction with the Japanese whaling fleet while protecting whales. Apparently not,perhaps that was a smaller vessel of similar design, maybe the Farley Mowat which Shrew mentions.
BTW, isn`t "fast trawler" an oxymoron?

There is information about the vessel on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Brigitte_Bardot
I thought it sank following interaction with the Japanese whaling fleet while protecting whales. Apparently not,perhaps that was a smaller vessel of similar design, maybe the Farley Mowat which Shrew mentions.
BTW, isn`t "fast trawler" an oxymoron?
On wikipedia they defined her as a monohull?

L

It was the Ady Gil that was rammed and sunk by the whalers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MY_Ady_Gil

Sea Shephard then bought what they now call Brigitte Bardot to replace it. They obviously like the design concept, and I guess the performance. The two boats are somewhat similar, but have different designers.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of conservation....but I thought Greenpeace was a little too "out there" for me, and Greanpeace kicked out the head of Sea Shepherd for being too radical. And then I watched their TV show a few times and it was ridulous.

Does pretty good in a beam sea as seen in the following video. Would love to see how it does in snotty conditions.

L

They say stabilised monohull. The adjective is critical. Its a better description IMO than trimaran, although that is also correct. The reason I say this is because BB's outer hulls are kinda like outriggers on a canoe. Whereas trimarans would typically have some useable volume in the outer hulls.

Pretty much I am the supporter of anything that protects our oceans and its wildlife. Why did I leave I felt this was an interesting about I was certainly surprised to see it in Florida. It is still. Just a short distance from me I guess it has seen some miles and I find it very interesting

They say stabilised monohull. The adjective is critical. Its a better description IMO than trimaran, although that is also correct. The reason I say this is because BB's outer hulls are kinda like outriggers on a canoe. Whereas trimarans would typically have some useable volume in the outer hulls.
Well I guess that like any wikipedia article there is some info variation. At the beginning they mention her as a monohull (stabilised :) ) and later on as multihull...
Not my intend to argue just what I noticed.

L

L
Lou,Can we compromise at monohull with outriggers?
Australia and New Zealand never got over French Govt Agents blowing up Greenpeace`s "Rainbow Warrior"in Auckland Harbour with a mine, killing one crew and sinking the ship. So we have a tolerance for Sea Shepherd activities, especially as the current Govt promised to send a warship to chase the Japanese whalers, and never did. We did take them to Court, and won a restraint, but the response was a raised middle finger.

It was the Ady Gil that was rammed and sunk by the whalers.

I guess you could use the term "sunk by the whalers" ..but I believe I recall a video seeing the Ady G. hit the whaling boat pretty far back from the bow.. as they continued on a collision course with the whalers. I never did see a track line that showed both boats tracks... But the AG was most definitely much more maneuverable that the ship.

Don't get me wrong .. I totally against whaling.. it's just there have not been a bigger bunch of idiots in boats since McHales Navy ( showing my vintage on that one).

I have a hard time figuring out how Australia puts up with those morons.

Hollywood

Hey, I enjoyed McHales Navy!:hide:

Yes, you are right. The Ady Gil was almost certainly at fault. I don't know whether they miscalculated or whether it was deliberate. Pretty crazy to risk a collision in those waters either way.

I don't think the Australian government, or the majority of us living here, support the extreme 'the ends justify the means' approach of Sea Shepherd. There are better ways to go about stopping the whaling. Yes, it will take time. But I don't think the Ady Gil type actions make much difference. The story fades from the headlines pretty quickly.

Here's the Palmer Johnson interpretation of the "sponson" concept. Wonder what happened to PJ after they sold the operation to a European entity....

DSCN8889.jpg

I thought a "fast trawler" was a motoryacht....? Run at 8kts or run at 20kts, let your mood and your wallet decide.

While I don’t approve of Sea Shepard’s tactics, I view japan’s continued whaling practices more deplorable. The two deserve each other.

Second, the Japanese whaling ship was most definitely at fault. It had complete ability to avoid the colission at all times. I,m not saying the Ady Gil is absolved of any wrong doing. Rule number one take proper actions to avoid collisions.

I thought a "fast trawler" was a motoryacht....? Run at 8kts or run at 20kts, let your mood and your wallet decide.

No such thing as a fast trawler.
Boats that look like trawlers but go fast are cruisers.
If the hull is more suited to going fast it isn’t a trawler.
But there are trawlers that go somewhat over hull speed. But their hulls are better at displacement speed.
There are quite a number of boats that look so much like a real trawler they are called trawlers by most people. But their underwater hull forms resemble Carvers and Bayliners much more that trawlers.
“Fast trawlers” are simply imposters.

Is there a difference between a "cruiser" and a "motoryacht"? With the same layout and superstructure design a planing hull can look like a "trawler" and a full displacement hull can look like a "go-fast boat". What determines the correct nomenclature: underwater shape, marketing, above water shape and layout, or what?

IMHO only a full displacement recreational vessel designed to cross oceans in foul weather should be called a "trawler", anything else is some other sub-class of "motoryacht". (excluding actual fishing trawlers, of course) Cruiser also has a specific meaning as far as design goes,such as the Bridgedeck Cruiser of Washington state in the early years of the last century. Now, once you begin to talk about usage, then anything can be anything else: sport fishermen can be cruised, motor yachts can be fished, ocean crossers can be daysailed, etc.

There are videos on Youtube from both boats involved in the collision.

To me, it certainly looks like the Ady Gil accelerated just before the collision.

Sea Shepherd agreed to pay the whalers 2.5 million dollars for the collision.

And the Captain of the Ady Gil has admitted to intentionally scuttling the Ady Gil, on Paul Watson's orders, as a ratings stunt for the Reality TV Show "Whale Wars".

Whaling in this day and age is an unconscionable act that is un excusable. However, when a protester has to create false evidence to support their cause, it undermines the reasons for that cause. Paul Watson, as the head of SSCS, has wasted the donations of millions of dollars chasing publicity rather than furthering the cause he claims to be so dedicated to. He is hurting the environmental movement by diverting dollars from respectable organizations that genuinely care about the health of our planet to his group of publicity hounding radicals.

The Ady Gil was an incredible vessel and held the record for circumnavigating the globe in 61 days. That's a significant piece of martime history to send to the bottom for some TV viewers !!

Last edited:
While I don’t approve of Sea Shepard’s tactics, I view japan’s continued whaling practices more deplorable. The two deserve each other.

Second, the Japanese whaling ship was most definitely at fault. It had complete ability to avoid the collision at all times. I,m not saying the Ady Gil is absolved of any wrong doing. Rule number one take proper actions to avoid collisions.
By continuing whaling in the southern ocean,Japan virtually ignores the decision Australia won in the International Court of Justice. Seems to me that justifies Sea Shepherd taking strong action in the face of Japan`s contempt of the Court decision.
I have no issue with Sea Shepherd operating here, I welcome it. They are doing what the Aust Govt won`t do,attempting to enforce the ICJ decision.

By continuing whaling in the southern ocean,Japan virtually ignores the decision Australia won in the International Court of Justice. Seems to me that justifies Sea Shepherd taking strong action in the face of Japan`s contempt of the Court decision.
I have no issue with Sea Shepherd operating here, I welcome it. They are doing what the Aust Govt won`t do,attempting to enforce the ICJ decision.
And to add my 2 cents, we may agree or disagree with the unconventional method but at least they try to do something...

L

Benthic2, you have nicely expressed my thoughts on Sea Shepherd. While I agree with the others that the continued Japanese whaling it unconscionable, I think that Sea Shepherd has taken their tactics too far.

Using the same arguments and methods one might expect environmentalists to try and run semi-trucks off the road that are delivering hazardous cargo.

If Sea Shepherd wants to get between the whaling ships and whales, that is fine. But many of their encounters seem to be nothing but harassment designed, as Benthic2 pointed out, to improve ratings and donations.

Keep in mind that I’m on the opposite side of the world however and not nearly as informed our our Aussie friends.

Here's an extreme example, speed wise, but hints at how these boats handle rough conditions:

The slo' mo plunge at the end was impressive. I don't think I would have enjoyed being on board the first time though!

WH wrote;
“IMHO only a full displacement recreational vessel designed to cross oceans in foul weather should be called a "trawler"

Well Mr Hills there’s very few trawlers that are FD. You’re thinking of the Passagemaker.

The Ady Gil was an incredible vessel and held the record for circumnavigating the globe in 61 days. That's a significant piece of martime history to send to the bottom for some TV viewers !!

True. But it also had an ugly reputation of having killed a Guatemalan fisherman in a collision in the dark with a fishing vessel while it (Earthrace) was travelling at a high rate of speed in limited visibility.

I understand risking your own life to set some kind of a record, but putting other lives at risk in the process it is a whole different story.

It makes me wonder how much they had to pay to all that were involved in Guatemala to be able to leave quickly and not get in trouble with the law.

Whale Wars was a good comedy show. I kinda miss it.

Back
Top Bottom