Pilothouse boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lakelure

Looking for a 25’-30’ pilothouse and would appreciate any and all advice to head me in the right direction. I’ll have around $30,000 to buy outright with and even finance a bit if I need to. Needs to be trailerable and I do have a one ton dually to pull it with. Primary reason for wanting a pilothouse is the HUGE aft area for fishing. We drift and troll for freshwater striper in Tennessee and I think this type of boat would be perfect. Also would like to cruise the ICW sometime in the next few years so one with a cooktop, sink, refrigerator, etc...would be nice. Think I’d prefer an outboard or dual outboards even better. Saw a Judge 27 that I really liked but think it was a little out of my price range. Also would prefer the larger beam around 10’.

Last edited:
A 10’ beam will mean permits for towing. Have you checked TN regs and also the neighboring states?

You may want to post this on The Hull Truth forum as well.

The Hull Truth

I like the C Dory 25, C Dory Venture 26 and Tomcat 255( catamaran hull). They are all very trailerable and fishable (8'6 beam). These boats (except for the TC 255) will be slower in chop than other modified V and true V brands though. However the beauty of the C Dorys is that they offer more cruising and overnight amenities than many of the other similarly sized PH boats. They do tend to pound more though because of their flatter hull profile amidships and stern wise. But if you're not in a rush the C Dory is a VERY SEA WORTHY vessel. That's a fact.

C Dory

Other notable brands would be Steiger, Parker, Defiance and Osprey/Seasport (some models are I/O engines).

i like the Steigers a lot. They are very well made rigs and look good as well. Parkers are nice too. Both of them are popular in my area.

Your budget may be tight for a newer PH in the 25' -30' range. There are deals out there for older rigs. I would also keep an eye on Arima's, Bayliners, Wellcrafts etc. Don't get caught up in the name recognition too much. Look for a solid hull and decent powerplant.

Last edited:
A 10’ beam will mean permits for towing. Have you checked TN regs and also the neighboring states?

Would cost me a $50 permit to tow it from NC to TN to the marina where my current boat is kept. That’s the only place I intend on towing it to other than to Wilmington NC to do the ICW cruise from there to Key West and back in a few years. I believe as long as the width is 8’ 6” or less a permit isn’t needed but the little extra expense of having so much more room would be worth it to me. Usually go out with 6-8 passengers and most PH boats I’ve seen don’t have much seating in the rear. I’d have to get the folding deck chairs and the extra beam width would be nice.

Last edited:
I’ve heard good things about the C-Dory 25 as well. Steiger’s do look good. Heard the Parker’s and Osprey’s were rough riding. Will have to check out some of the others that you mentioned SOH. Yes I agree about the overall condition of the boat as the number one priority and would certainly consider having it possibly surveyed before buying. What are your thoughts engine wise, outboard? Inboard? I/O? I’m really looking more for a dual outboard setup and like them for their easy access to do maintenance on and the peace of mind knowing that if one engine goes out I’ve got a backup to get us back to the marina with a storm heading our way.

Last edited:
A 25’ boat with 6-8 passengers and yourself will be quite crowded, you may need to trim the crowds a bit or up the size of the vessel in order for everyone to have an enjoyable and safe cruise.
While you can find cruiser type boats in your specified size range, the amenities tend to be Lilliputian, and storage space minimal.
“We’re gonna need a bigger boat!”

Ours is for sale . It’s on the Tennessee River but probably too wide and too slow for what you want to do.

Last edited:
A 25’ boat with 6-8 passengers and yourself will be quite crowded, you may need to trim the crowds a bit or up the size of the vessel in order for everyone to have an enjoyable and safe cruise.
While you can find cruiser type boats in your specified size range, the amenities tend to be Lilliputian, and storage space minimal.
“We’re gonna need a bigger boat!”
I’m sure a 25’ is fine for six people but would prefer a 27-30 footer. Not looking for a cruiser boat, PH is what I’m after.

Ours is for sale . It’s on the Tennessee River but probably too wide and too slow for what you want to do.
Not interested in a super fast boat and I’d be ok with a 10’ beam, just not ready to buy yet. Going to start shopping in the winter, maybe get a better deal then on something.

You are asking for something that's not normally available, a full PH for cruising but tons of room for a cockpit for your anticipated guests, with an outboard. The CDory is not going to fit your request or budget either.

First off with the outboard setup this removes about two feet in the cockpit from the overall length. And of course an inboard removes interior space while adding to the draft. This also creates an issue with trailering and launching.

I’m sure a 25’ is fine for six people but would prefer a 27-30 footer. Not looking for a cruiser boat, PH is what I’m after.
You can have a 10 foot beam, even though few boats that's trailable are that wide for the length. But the length restricts you for the six people fishing if you have a cabin with creature comforts and any sleeping quarters.

A 25 foot boat depending on the bow shape needs a minimum of 75 inches for sleeping, not withstanding any anchor locker forward of the bulkhead. Then add another 9 feet for the dash and helm, that's a cabin with a small dinette on one side, and cabinet space and counter, 30 inches for a head arrangement, minimum, two feet for the engine well unless you do a bracket, and you can see what you have left.

Great Alaskan skiff, a Tolman inspired epoxy/plywood outboard boat. Just build yours with a 10' beam and make it as long as you want, a couple of outboards will give redundancy and high cruise speeds no matter how big you,build it.

Have you checked out a Rosborough RF-246? I bought one last year, twin Yamaha's on a hull extension (factory option). Its a tough boat and no prob trailering if you've got a diesel. You can find within your budget but you would be looking at inboard version which robs all of the cockpit space.

What sprung to my mind when I read what you are looking for is one of the many different aluminum hulled boats we have in the PNW. Probably outside your budget.

Seawolf Pilothouse 31

You have a hard choice and difficult search. Your wants (feet) are much larger than most all boats (shoes).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom