MG502 driveshaft end play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riv10m

Looking for advice here. One of my Twin Disc MG502 gearboxes has about 1/16" of play at the driveshaft. In other words, if you apply axial force to the shaft, it moves in and out of the gearbox. The play is in the gearbox, not in a coupler, u-joint, etc. The other has no play at all. Here are my questions: How serious is this? Can I continue running without causing additional damage? What would have caused this, or is it within the tolerance specification and perfectly normal? Thanks in advance for the help.

I can't answer your question as to what the allowable tolerance is. However you might consider sending an oil sample off for analysis to look for elevated levels of metals. Also, some transmissions have filter screens and / or magnets in the drain plug. Might be worth researching and checking either of those.

Ted

Call a Twin Disc dealer and ask him the specs if you don't have a manual. There will be some limits.

Should be zero play in output flange.

Don't bother with an oil sample, you have an already confirmed problem.

Check drawing for the gear, some have a central nut/bolt that secures the flange. Bolt might have come loose.

Give Mill Log a call. They are local here. I've chatted with the service guy in Kent Wa. Was a Huge help. 18547 E Valley Hwy, Kent, WA 98032 · (425) 251-3434. There should be no end play.
Harold

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom