Propeller Zinc Spray Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherAlyssa

Vessel Name
Heather Alyssa
Vessel Make
Mainship 350/390
Good evening Trawler friends!

Any advice for this product? Just saw this at West Marine and I’m wondering if it’s worth it. I run about 7 Knots and 120 hours per year on my single engine Mainship in the Middle Chesapeake Bay. Thoughts?

IMG_3048.JPG

Any advice for this product? Just saw this at West Marine and I’m wondering if it’s worth it. I run about 7 Knots and 120 hours per year on my single engine Mainship in the Middle Chesapeake Bay. Thoughts?

View attachment 74608

Oh I wish.

Last edited:
It is used here by some of the best yards in our area, when we haul the boat this year I will know first hand. Lots of friends use it and really like it!

It works for me in the Northwest. Boat hauled today, after a year and the only growth on prop, was on the nuts, which had a carpet of barnacles.

Thank you for the response. Man... that can of spray paint is not cheap.

You can get the same "Cold ZINC Spray by Rustoleum at lowes/home depot for $7.99. It does work but only for about 18 months in my experience. Doubt it would last on hi speed props but on Trawlers and their 2:1 and 3: 1 at 1800rpm---------OK

;)
You can get the same "Cold ZINC Spray by Rustoleum at lowes/home depot for $7.99. It does work but only for about 18 months in my experience. Doubt it would last on hi speed props but on Trawlers and their 2:1 and 3: 1 at 1800rpm---------OK
Also good to spiff up chains and anchors ;)

"Galvafroid" comes in brushable liquid form as well as spray. Usually cheaper, and you could load more on. Their website doesn`t mention antifouling use,but it seems a similar product.

"Galvafroid" comes in brushable liquid form as well as spray. Usually cheaper, and you could load more on. Their website doesn`t mention antifouling use,but it seems a similar product.

just an fyi, you can get the rustoleum stuff in qt. cans as well.

Does electric shock kill barnacles?

I've been using it for two for 2 years and have been happier with it than Propspeed. My propeller only turns about 600 rpm at cruise, so it's not fast enough to throw the barnacles off. As I only go 7 knots, ablative paint doesn't work well either. May try the Rustoleum next haul out.

Ted

I’ve been using I for about five years and works for me here on the Chesapeake bay. I buy mine on the internet a lot cheaper.

Barnacle Barrier has worked well for us in the Chesapeake. In fact, we just had a diver go below in Charleston before our return trip, and he told me props and running gear are absolutely clean.

Rustoleum makes a similar cold galvanizing spray-on product that folks have said is virtually the same stuff (from their reading of the MSDS)... for something like $5/can. Haven't tried that.

-Chris

Barnacle Barrier has worked well for us in the Chesapeake. In fact, we just had a diver go below in Charleston before our return trip, and he told me props and running gear are absolutely clean.

Rustoleum makes a similar cold galvanizing spray-on product that folks have said is virtually the same stuff (from their reading of the MSDS)... for something like $5/can. Haven't tried that.

-Chris

So, high rpm has no effect regarding reduced durability on prop blades??

depending on how you use your boat and water flow/salinity all can affect growth.

so sometimes it is hard to know the actual effect of a product outside of scientific testing or exact same usage/location of a boat through many years.

anecdotally, I have had meager results from spraying my prop with either zinc spray.

but my boat sits for 5 months, then is constantly moving for 7 months.

I have found my bolt on zincs last longer...and the last 2 years I went ahead and bottom painted my prop and rudder over a nice coating of zinc which made a good primer.

the paint wears off the prop tips, but much of the zinc remains.

I still get barnacles after a couple months if sitting in an extreme fouling area, but less than nothing at all.

I usually run my engine in gear oretty hard for 15 or 20 minutes every month which I also think helps sling growth off...or at least get rid of the slime ehich other growth seems to need to start.

Bottom line....for what $10 a can us or minus if you buy generic...I will continue to use it till my boating situation changes and I find I need more or less protectiln for my running gear.

Last edited:
I use it on the propellers, works well.

We used the Rustoleum cans for maybe 8 years with vey good results on boats that typically travelled at 16-17 knots cruise in the Northeast. The first year of use we sprayed one prop with the Rustoleaum and one with the Petit and saw no appreciable difference. We pulled the boat in winter as a matter of need and refreshed the bottom each year as a matter of course.

Does electric shock kill barnacles?

Yes - both sonic vibration and electric current has shown to deter barnacle growth. The sonic systems have seen limited results with other undesirable requirements and the electric current required typically causes electrolysis from what I have read.

We used it for the first time a few months ago on a reco from a diver or two. According to them, you need a LOT of coats (5+) for the best results. we aren't into growth season yet so I hesitate to comment on how it is working so far, but so far so good (for all the good THAT does) :) The boat yard also spoke highly of it but did say it is a bear to remove if you ever need to... and I don't know if that will have to happen if/when we haul again next year.

So, high rpm has no effect regarding reduced durability on prop blades??

I can't really tell that for sure, but maybe. We run slow a lot, and usually haul and powerwash in late May or early June... and then we usually run the boat every week, even if only for a barnacle run up and down the river (although that usually includes some planing time)... so it might also have to do with the way we use the boat.

-Chris

It works for me in the Northwest. Boat hauled today, after a year and the only growth on prop, was on the nuts, which had a carpet of barnacles.

Oh no !
Barnacles on your nuts is really bad
[emoji30]

Any advice for this product? Just saw this at West Marine and I’m wondering if it’s worth it.

I've tried this, the cheaper Rustoleum spray on zinc , and also Propspeed.

They all work to varying degrees, roughly in proportion to the cost. You get what you pay for.

I've gone back to Propspeed.

I've tried this, the cheaper Rustoleum spray on zinc , and also Propspeed.

I believe the Rustoleum product is the same as the Barnacle Barrier. One way to get better protection is to use the zinc spray (either product) then use Petit ECO anti-foulant paint on top of the zinc spray. The ECO is water-based and also zinc based so you are not adding a copper product over a zinc product. I used that (total of four layers of spray and ECO). Quite pleased with the results after one season in the Chesapeake Bay. Since I haul every year, can not speak to extended periods of time. I suspect I have not reached the life of application on many areas because there is generally lots of ECO on the metal when I haul.

For re-application, if there is still ECO, I just coat with more ECO. If the gray spray is visible, I sand down the area and re-apply spray. BTW, I use white ECO cause it is easy to see underwater.

Steve

six months in SWFL with Rustoleum Cold Zinc spray.

Attachments

• ZincSpray-2.jpg
    ZincSpray-2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 443

Is it “Cold Zinc” or is it “Cold Galvanizing Compound”?

about what mine looked like after 4 months sitting in Avalon, NJ with a good engine in gear run in the slip once a month.

with ablative paint, even after the run to FL and back with the 4 month sit in NJ, there was less where the bottom paint remained.

the prop tips lose the bottom paint, but the center of the prop and rudder dont and have fewer barnacles.

I was launched end of April, 2017 and hailed November, 2017. I will try to take some pics because I have not yet done the metals this spring. No barnacles and only wear on the white ECO. I dove on the metals about once a month and just checked out the condition. Never a need to wipe with sponge let alone scrape.

Not sure what to say about why there was so much growth on your metals.

Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom