Vaccuum? gauges on Racors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joew2604

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Peterpan 111
Vessel Make
Gulfstar
I have two small Racor "Aquabloc" using 12T elements on my Perkins 4-154 engines. I have two. I am thinking of putting in a couple of gauges(I think vacuum gauges). Does this sound like a good idea ? If so how would I start and what do I need? I would probably have to mount the gauges near the filters as I steer from the upper station which is a long way from the filters. Thanks, as always, for any inputs.

Racor makes the gauges that you need. This model screws into the top of each filter- https://www.defender.com/product3.j...handle&path=-1|311|2349076|2349087&id=3939893.

They also mak remote mounted gauges and just the gauge itself. Look at the additional items on the lower right side of the page above.

But FWIW I have found these gauges which I have on my boat, to be of limited use. Yes they will give you advance notice of pluggage but engine performance also will.

A filter that is almost plugged will not allow an engine to reach WOT. It will act like it is short on power (well it is) and sometimes sputter. An engine that gets water past the filter will also sputter at high rpms and load. If that happens just change the filter or dump the bowl.

In normal operation with good fuel and no water getting into the tank, filters will last for years on my boat.

David

If you are interested in racor fuel vacuum gauges, check out those available from DentMarine. They much more accurately cover the range that you care about, and are much easier to read.

I have no financial interest, by he is a friend.

Not sure you need remote.
Most of the vac gauges have tell tales that indicate the highest vac the gauge hsd experienced.
Engine checks should give you an indication of change and rate of change. Under normal conditions change should be gradual unless a batch of bad fuel or ecistong condition ecposed by rough seas.

If you are interested in racor fuel vacuum gauges, check out those available from DentMarine. They much more accurately cover the range that you care about, and are much easier to read.

I have no financial interest, by he is a friend.

Nice looking gauge, going to 15" Hg.

The company I work for has a simple product that is a vacuum operated microswitch. Designed to withstand long term transformer oil; I'd have to check if diesel is recommended.
The idea being, you can see an alarm at the helm. Otherwise, you would have to be in the ER during high power operations to see max vacuum??

Last edited:
Any vacuum gauge installed between the filter and the lift pump will show what you need. If you have room buy a big dial gauge to see minor changes. (3.5" gauge about $10 on ebay) Unless you shovel dirt into your tanks, the gauge will slowly rise over several days. Mine shows zero with a new filter and I change the filter at about 7" Hg. Most of the change is in the last 50 hours. For me that's about 500 hours running 2 DDs circulating 75 gallons/hr with a 2 micron element.

the first one mentioned at defender is the defender first special this week . 15$ off but still more than DIY .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom