An Old Geezer Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BOHICABOB

Hi all. Glad to be here again. Been off this forum for 3 years. Got close to buying a trawler down in Florida as an on & off liveaboard, but chckened out because of nasty weather concerns. Glad I did because the last hurricane when right through the little marina I planned to keep it at.

Looking at a Bayliner 3270 this week. If I'm ever going to get back on the water where I grew up, I better get moving. The clock is ticking down way too fast. I sailed mostly solo on Lake Michigan, but occasionally with "passengers". You know them. They're the ones who have no "boat sense" and break things on you. :facepalm: That's where the BOHICA in my name comes from; also the name of my last boat. May Neptune protect us from landlubbers.

Going to post a new thread about HINO diesels which are in the Bayliner I'm considering. I know zip about them. I had Yanmars in both of my sailboats.

See you folks around.
Bob

Welcome aboard. Hinos are good engines. Parts may be a little tough to find. The Bayliner forum may have more info.

Bob,

What year?

Great boat to single hand. Roomy enough for a couple for an extended time. Boat will take more than most people want/can take.

Hinos, bullet proof engines, the W04 series is still in production. Engine parts if ever needed can be gotten at a Hino dealer. Marinized parts are available through North Harbour diesel. They are the only importer in the US. Pricey but available.

If the engines were maintained I wouldn't hesitate.

If boat is pre mid 1989 model year and still has the Hurth 360 gears expect to have to replace in future. They were on the light side and are out of production. In mid 89 the were replaced with Hurth 630 gears which are still in production as the ZF 630.

If boat has original fuel tanks plan on having to replace the starboard tank at some point. These boats have a starboard list on many water would lay under tank and it caused corrosion in the aluminum. The list can be corrected by battery placement etc.

As above poster said, BOC a wealth of knowledge on these great boats.

There is also a model specific website with a lot of great info.
bayliner32xx.com

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom