Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Classifieds (no boats) (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s68/)
-   -   For Sale: Twin engine synchronizer (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s68/twin-engine-synchronizer-36237.html)

JP2 12-27-2017 07:34 PM

Twin engine synchronizer

Glendinning synchronizer- Automatically runs 2 engines as one with one control lever. Quieter, smoother, more efficient and VERY dependable. Compatible with all types of engines and controls. Definitely built to last. Includes the mechanical drive cables, plus extra control cables and connector fittings, if desired. Has operated flawlessly on 46 GB. Install and operating instructions included. Easy to do. $400.00, OBO, plus shipping from NW.

Knot Salted 12-29-2017 09:07 AM

Hi JP2,
Is there any effects of salt showing in controls or mechanicals?
I always fight to sync, but it is almost now part of the ‘fun’
—almost

TONTOROSS 12-29-2017 10:04 AM

From where I sit, it's a damn good subject.

koliver 12-29-2017 11:05 AM

What is synchronized?
On my boat, a "synchronizer" was a magnet spinning on each shaft just fwd of the stuffing box, a sensor reading the passes of the magnets, and a dial on the dash, moving towards the faster pulse. Crude, but able to get the shafts to spin together.
Ahead of the shafts were BW Velvet drive trannys, one reducing engine speed by 1.9 to 1, the other by 2.1 to 1. So engines definitely not synchronized.

Tachometers are off of the alternators, so belt wear, as it will vary between the engines, tach adjustments at the tach head, as it also varies, only give an approximation of engine speed and are useless for synchronization.

I presently use the feel of the harmonic vibrations to get close.

What do the Glendinnings synchronize?

SoWhat 12-29-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koliver (Post 621265)
What do the Glendinnings synchronize?

They use tach signal to synch slave engine to master. Years of reliability history. Personally I don't want anything that could fail in full throttle mode but if I did install a synchronizer it would be a glendinning.

I calibrated tach instruments with laser tachometer from Amazon. It's close enough.

JP2 12-29-2017 05:06 PM

If I understand your question accurately, there is no exposure to salt or corrosion. All is tucked away in the warm and dry ER. Not an issue.

KOLIVER: It picks up an RPM signal from the Master and Slave engines and mechanically calibrates the two VERY precisely. You have one stationary control and one adjustable control that increases or decreases speed equally on both engines.

SO WHAT: You have 2 ways to cut power to the unit if you believe you have an "event": The ON - OFF switch, plus a Breaker on the 12V panel. If you have uncontrollable full power I doubt it could be from a synchronizer. Most likely some other issue is the culprit.

Thanks all, for your good comments.
Jp

Comodave 12-29-2017 06:10 PM

I would buy them if I didn’t have so many projects going on now on the boat.

kwestby 01-04-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP2 (Post 620926)
Glendinning synchronizer- Automatically runs 2 engines as one with one control lever. Quieter, smoother, more efficient and VERY dependable. Compatible with all types of engines and controls. Definitely built to last. Includes the mechanical drive cables, plus extra control cables and connector fittings, if desired. Has operated flawlessly on 46 GB. Install and operating instructions included. Easy to do. $400.00, OBO, plus shipping from NW.

We’re these installed on twin Lehmans on the 46 GB?

caltexflanc 01-04-2018 06:24 PM

I would add that Glendinning provides superb personal support (both tech and related parts) regardless of when or from whom you bought it.

Gabe n Em 01-04-2018 07:48 PM

We just calibrated our bridge and ph tachs. They're only so good and I actually removed the "synchronization indicator" (not glendinning). By ear, I can get the engines within 5 rpms at idle (verified by photo tach)

what_barnacles 01-06-2018 11:18 AM

calibrating tachs doesnt have anything to do with the accuracy of the tach signal coming from the alternators, or the accuracy of glendenning synchros.

tachs convert the tach signal coming from the alternator into an averaged current for the tach's meter. ALL meters vary in their sensitivity to current. Thats why its dang near impossible to find 2 that display the same rpms.

caltexflanc 01-06-2018 01:54 PM

Glendinnings don't use input from an alternator.

kwestby 01-18-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP2 (Post 620926)

Hi, I would like to buy your Glendinning system. I am in Seattle. Kennet 206-617-8512.

JP2 01-21-2018 02:43 PM

Sold

Sold..... 1/19/2018

markpierce 01-21-2018 03:11 PM

I thought part of the fun of a twin-engine boat was to play with the throttles to achieve synchronization and pleasant engine sounds. :socool: